Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx

I assure you, apart of "nvidia is better, ati is better stuff" they both are awesome at what they do.

That being said, I, just like you, changed from nvidia 9800gtx, to ati hd 5870.
    What can I say, I'm loving the card....super low temps at idle with stock rates and fan.. not passing from 70º at full load(can't notice the fan at all, I could lower the temps more if I wanted to, at 50% of fan I hear it but not very loud), low power consumption....
    The video options for movies, avi files etc.. It's awesome, I liked that the best, since I own a samsung monitor and magictune do not work under win7 yet.
    The only thing I miss, is the nvidia program control. Even when ati can do it too, it has less options plus you have to change profiles, but it's no biggie.

Another thing to have at count with Ati 5xxx series at win7 is the vsync!
    It does not work unless you force it with rivatuner or so..

Off that, lots of ppl are getting hd 5870's, I wonder how good nvidia is still doing, and I want to see the next cards soon, both nvidia and ati!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    Well, like I said, the only reason for me to buy an aticard (5870) is the power consumption. My PSU has enough amps. With either the 470 or the 480 I would have to change my PSU to a beefier one. That would be about 200-250 euros more expensive than a single 5870!
    I know my MB and CPU are aging, but it is still sufficient for 90% of all games!

3. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Now i understand what is that Grill for, its a great feature when you are hungry! :D

[​IMG]

PD: I know, i have too much free time in my hands :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My HD5870 Vapour X arrived this morning so I'm looking forward to having a play around with it later on. I'll still be interested in reading people's experiences of the GTX 470 and 480 though. Hopefully the retail products will have better drivers and tweaked fan profiles.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You know you could actually grill food on that plate? One review I read stated that the plate got to 71 C and he actually burnt his hands removing the card as he didn't realise it was so hot. Ouch!

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    That would seriously be EPIC!! haha, would love to see someone try that!

7. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Hilbert Recorded temps of 95º on the Gpu at room temperature of 21º, i bet that in a summer day around here (32º or more) that plate will cook food and fingers in no time :D

8. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

hey i like this pic i used it on another forum where bunch of nvidia fan boys were just being asses.

Freaking thing runs so hot i am sure that steak would be well done.

9. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    so can someone help me out with a question?

I was going to get the 470 but price/temps/performanace wise actually i should get a ATI 5870?

Price is pretty much the same in the uk and i do value temps...

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    easy choice for me. 5870 is better all round than a 470...

do not get 470/480 if noise or heat bothers u. :)

11. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Thanks, yeah i came to the same conclusion and just ordered a 5870 (which overclockers have already shipped!!!) but now a bit depressed as i forgot that ATI doesnt do Physx :-(

12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Use your 8800 GTS as physX, dont be sad :D

13. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I would have said in your case go ATI aswell, Nvidia priced the 4 series too high to make them a sensible choice at the minute, specially in the UK.

14. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480

:cheers:

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    tbh there's only a few games that you want physx for and i could use a physx card but dont as it's not worth the extra on my electricity bill.

mmm batman and metro are possible the only decent games with physx worth playing in my book...am sure someone will come in and say there's loads of titles that use physx but a lot of the most recent titles like mass effect 2/dragon age/dbfbc2/cods/dirt2/total wars/left for deads/bioshocks/resevil/borderlands/assasins creed2 u dont need it. in fact i wouldnt say its worth it even for metro, but then am not a fan of these lower performing games (but are innovative and look good mind u).

do a driver sweep of nvidia but then dont use driver sweeper for installing/uninstall ati drivers.

i did a fresh os/format when chaging from nvidia to ati. fail safe and perf since then has been brill. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
  17. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I can only comment on the UK prices as thats where i and where the buyer was from.

im guessing others wil get a raw deal in other countires aswell.

18. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Waited a long time to see if my move to where i am was the right one. That doubt is now a thing of the past.

19. gwklam

gwklam Member

GPU:
    9800gtx
    first time posting in this forum.weeee..

anyways.....my 9800gtx is dying surprisingly, must be the ram configuration in my system, or maybe the low power supply....but i'll be getting a new system with a core i7 970 when that comes out...

But I've been stuck on which graphics card I wanna buy next........i know that theres Ati with their cheaper and cooler solutions compared to nvidia's 480 and 470(i'll mostly get the 470). One thing that stops me from buying anything right now is when the mental ray iray was annouced. Right now i know it will work with nvidia gpu's, and i dont if its only for quadros. I'm wondering if it will work with Ati also? if it doesnt work with ati, is gtx 470 my next great step?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    The 5870 is Cheaper and faster than the GTX 470, soo i recomend you to get the Ati solution, i dont know why it could not work with Mental Ray.