Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Im in the same boat, the 470 would be enough for me but the 450 looks like it might be the mid-range cahmp if the pricing is right, so may just wait for that.

2. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Anything below 470 is going to very poor, performance wise. ATi has bundles of cards out now that will easily beat 450,460 or whatever NV churns out, whilst having more mature drivers AND less TDP/noise/heat.
    NV will most likely do a re-brand of some those parts, and I'm amazed anyone is actually interested in them.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GTX460 ~ GTX285 so i think it's a good deal

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I've submitted a cancellation request for my GTX 480 pre-order to Scan and will order an HD5870 as soon as they've confirmed it. I don't particularly want to switch to an ATI card but at the end of the day I'm not sure that I'm entirely comfortable with the cost, temperatures, TDP and noise levels of the GTX 480. :(

On the plus side, the HD5870 does come with DisplayPort so I'll be able to use that with my HP LP2475w monitor as I got a DisplayPort cable with it.

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    And you can comfirm this because you seen the benchmarks yeah??

didnt think so.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Erm, if you recall everyone was saying the EXACT same words about Fermi and its capability of giving 5870 a proper beating, when other people were saying that the chip is flawed from the start.

The result? Benchmarks were out, everyone went really quiet. pre-orders cancelled, annoyed enthusiasts disappointed, would anyone really want to wait for a card that is already slower than the current line? If the flagship model does not get it right from the start, what can be said about its less-abled derivatives? There is an article about them over at SA, for those who are interested.

7. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Well i think that femri does give the 5 series a kick, specially in games that are using new and better effects, it thrashes it in new games like metro and just cause, but thats my opinion.

But im saying not everyone wants the top end card the 450 might be good for someone like me who doesnt need top end performance, just wants a nice performance/price ratio, the 450 looks quiet good on paper aswell so could be a winner for some people.

I gree that femri should be abit cheaper but if you want the fastest you have to pay the price tag that comes with it. I do see your point though.

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

for the well educated - informed gamer - user 480 it's a bit of letdown.... need to re-think options ........

For the rest of the mass, 480 it`s a badass, the fastest card in the world.....and it's nVidia !!!

world population on both groups and potential buyers ???

do the math :nerd:

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Forceware 256.xx
    Release date : April
    The first performance drivers for GTX470/480 :)

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well if you only judge the GTX 480 by its performance then it's pretty encouraging, particularly in the US where that extra $50 price tag nets you 1.5 GB of GDDR5 memory. It's kind of hard to do that though when the temperatures, TDP and fan noise are hanging over your heard though and that for many is probably what kills any enthusiasm for the card. Here in the UK the GTX 480 is some £135 more than the cheapest HD5870 (£295 PowerColor on Ebuyer.com) and that's harder to swallow.

I guess it all comes down to whether you want all the extra NVIDIA niceties and the extra performance and don't care about the negatives. I thought I did but now I've had time to think about it I'm not sure I could forgive myself for spending over £400 on a graphics card that runs so hot and sucks up so much juice. I mean how much more would my electric bill be... £50 per month? It all adds to the cost of running the card.

11. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah maybe it is, but one mans let down is another mans golden boy so its all about the opinion, i agree that maybe it should be cooler, maybe have abit more performance but like allready said there are driver coming that could help abit, everyone knows that nvidia's first flagship models are allways abit hoter and power hungry, the next model will be the one to watch, and the mid-range has been dominated by nvidia for a few years, its only recently ATI have stepped there game up.

I like ATI as a company and like the cards but i couldnt live with the drivers or not having features like physX, as i like tech and things like that.

It doesnt help that us UK people like darren said, get shaffted on prices aswell, £50 cheaper and it would be easier to swollow.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hmmm interesting.

I always assumed the cards would be released with new certified ForceWare drivers rather than the 197.17 betas used for the reviews (are these cards really shipping with beta drivers or will it be these 256 ones?).

Still these won't change the TDP or fan noise levels but I suppose there's a chance that NVIDIA might revise the fan speeds somewhat so they're not hitting 90 C all the time.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm in the same boat as you.

The switch to ATI will be very difficult and I know I'm going to miss things I took for granted on the NVIDIA cards such as PhysX and per-game AA profiles but I break out in a sweat at those temperatures and the pricing of the GTX 480 here in the UK, especially as I've seen a PowerColor HD5870 for 'just' £295 on EBuyer and it comes with DiRT 2.

I'm still interested in Fermi but I can't wait for the smaller die size so I'm going ATI for now and will buy an NVIDIA card when they get the product right. Maybe the GTX 475 and GTX 485 revisions will be the ones to watch out for?

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah possibly, ive got a feeling that the femri prices may drop abit soon tho, as pre-order prices are usually high and then continue to be for a few weeks after, i suppose it depends how desperate you are for a new card.

15. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Nothing, really. Remember the Flagship 6800 Ultra and GTs with the broken HD acceleration that was fixed on the less-abled derivatives. It really ticked me off that a 6600GT could do what my 6800 Ultra could not.

16. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx

Well, since I did pretty high overclocks to my nvidia 9800gtx,(witch by stock rates idles at 60c in my case) and the fan never got over 60%(fully maxed out at crysis even though it didn't perform well) I would think that at ambient temps of 30c up/down wouldn't exceed 80% of the fan, again I assume that, in every case, I don't know that.

But you are telling me that the fermi will run out of fan power at games with full load? Can't really believe it.

Also, I've never seen a case where the card needed 100%fan speed to not overheat at stock rates, newer ones at least.

Pure speculation incoming, could be way out of the line, but all this is about that right?:

Personally It looks to me that this fermi is something they didn't want to do in the first place, they rushed things out obviously, and for nvidia to make next gen cards, that to us would appear to have a lot of troublesome things, makes me wonder if they went little by little till they got to beat the hd 5870 by some %, not caring that much of power consumption or heat, and then leave it at that and sell(well, with a lot of other things ofc, just an example to my point, although seems like a valid point, since the card has a lot of nuclear power and still doesn't perform accord?). Also they could have been working on the next project while finishing up fermi... who knows.

A giant disipator that still being giant it can't block the heat till us customers like it to be, makes me want to :biggun: myself in the sacred's.

I may be over thinking, that could probably be cos I want to believe nvidia will deliver if not this time, next time around.

17. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    nvidia played it safe is all. 2 disabled cores mean a serious gimp in how the card is going to perform. You are likely right they pushed it out to compete with the 4800 only and when ati releases a refresh card they just simply unlock the disabled cores and own whatever card ati puts out. Which by then would cost them far less to make (and possibly be on a smaller die size). Meaning they wouldn't have to charge $100 more than the 5800.

and if you think of it this way it makes sense. Because it only outperforms everything in DX11 marginally.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  18. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Video Transcoding over the GPU was benchmarked in the Radeon 5870 review. Any plans to benchmark this function on the GTX 4800 series?

19. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx

I thought so too, but there is still the heat equation for this speculation, witch make's me thing that is more likely they didn't`left behind so much surprise for us with that 480 card.

Anyone knows what are the top degree's of failure of the 480?

20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

125c