Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    lol

monday morning

bored =/

thought i'd troll.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well who do you believe, Guru3D or HardOCP?

Take a look at this slide here from Guru3D's review:

[​IMG]

Notice that at 94 C the fan speed is just 71% during stress so higher fan speeds will drop that further. Makes me wonder what HardOCP were doing to the card to make it hit 95 C at 100% really.

Incidentally many of the reviews I've read have all stated that even during hours of benchmarking the games don't go above 95/96 C and with a thermal shutdown temperature of 105 C and a failsafe higher than that it's seems they are designed to withstand those figures. Sure, it's not ideal but I'm going to be playing games not stressing the card out in a benchmark for hours on end.

With a custom profile I'm confident that I can keep the temps lower than the figures in the reviews as they have to rate on the cards based on the default ones. As I said earlier, my own GTX 280 used to hit 85/86 C regularly during heavy gaming until I used a custom auto fan profile and now it's some 15 C cooler. I'm hoping the same will be true of the GTX 480 and besides I play games with v-sync on which means the card won't be rendering anything over 60 fps, which, again, will keeps temperatures lower than those recorded in these reviews where the framerates can be double that in some of the ones they tested.

I'd prefer the card to run cooler, sure, but if NVIDIA say it's OK to run at those temperatures then why worry?

3. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Sorry my friend. I disagree. These cards only present a minuscule increase in performance for a huge price in power requirements vs the 5870. The 5970 drops the boom on them.

I could care less about the ongoing Nvidia vs ATI battle. But, the Fermi is more expensive, demands more power, and delivers such a small percentage point more performance so as to be a waste of money.

Darren, waste your money. I don't care. It's not mine.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @ Darren Hodgson

If you're happy with it, then have at it hos :)

94c @ 71% fanspeed is NOT good mate.

I keep trying to tell you that these guys don't test in cases (what would be considered real world parameters) for the most part.

When these things actually get to end users, I'm fairly sure there will be a LOT of complaining/dead cards.

PS : Nvidia said that card they showed on stage a few months ago was real so I guess it was :rolleyes:

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I have a single GTX 280 and I've been playing Metro 2033 for hours yet never saw the temps go above 70 C. I'd say that your temperature issues are due to having three GTX 280s in your system, the build up of dust perhaps and/or not so good air flow for the setup you have? Regardless, this Metro 2033 problem was with a card that has acceptable cooling so if I was you I'd ask myself why it was that your temps hit 105 C. I've never seen anything close to that with my GTX 280, even on the default fan speeds, and I used those infamous 196.75 drivers too (thankfully, I was using a custom fan profile though). ;)

6. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I wasn;t asking you to agree. But I merely stated the facts.

The GTX480 opens up a can of whoop-ass on the HD5870 in most tests - particularly where minimum frame rate and tessellation performance are concerned.

Its more expensive - obviously, its only just out, but the cost weighs up with the performance.

Yes its hot, and consumes way too much power for my liking. I won't be buying one myself. But I won't take away from the fact that its the fastest GPU money can buy.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The cards come with at least a one year warranty here in the UK so if the temps are a big problem when people get hold of them then NVIDIA won't be able to keep it quiet as it'll be all over the internet. If I have problems with mine then I'll ask for my money back, it's as simple as that. If these cards run hot then they should be built to withstand those temps. If not then you have grounds to ask for a refund.

Incidentally, doesn't the GTX 295 also run hot and noisy at 94 C? Don't recall hearing too many complaints from people who own those?

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    You missed the point.

It wasn't during play, it was when I paused it (never went over 80c during play). It was most likely because the V-sync was off and the FPS went through the roof when I paused it.

My point was simply that IF those HAD been 480s, the temps would have been way higher and would have likely killed my machine (or at least the cards). I suspect this type of unfortunate scenario will befall many 480 users.

You're not going to listen to reason as you are intent on buying a 480 so I say enjoy it and hope that it is a hassle free experience.

I've had several 295s (apart from the fact they are dual GPU), I've never seen over 90c.

9. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    What we're trying to tell you is this: don't spend your money on a first-gen card that is proving itself to be the Nvidia equivalent of the 5800. Your 280 is more than sufficient.

The Fermi is a bust. Save your cash.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Those aren't facts (apart from the fact that it excels in extreme tessellation benchmarks).

It's faster, but the difference is hardly significant especially when you add the heat and the price (add more $$ for 3rd party cooling as well).

It isn't universally faster with regards to minimum FPS either.

The only place it really pulls ahead is at 2560 x 1920. If I played at that resolution, I might have given them more thought.

I guess our definitions of 'whoop ass' are diametrically opposed.

11. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Well-said. I wouldn't spend a penny on the 480's. They simply aren't worth it.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    To be honest the temperatures and fan noise bother me less than the high TDP requirements but nevertheless I want an GTX 480 for the following reasons:

1. It has 1.5 GB of video RAM which will be handy for future texture heavy games and triple buffering/v-synced games with lots of AA at 1920x1200. I've seem a few of the games I'm playing now hit 900 MB and, of course, I cannot maxed out GTA IV's draw distance on my GTX 280 without using hacks and making the game unstable. ;)

2. As Dublin_Gunner says above, it has generally higher minimum framerates than the HD5870, something a number of reviews failed to mention since they focus on the average framerate, Guru3D included. A higher minimum framerate means a smoother gaming experience, particularly as I lock my games to 60 fps anyway.

3. It has PhysX. Not widely used true but very nice to have in games such as Batman: AA and Mirror's Edge.

4. The drivers will include game profiles. I keep mentioning these but I like to play games with AA and many games don't support it through the in-game Video options so I want a convenient way of setting AA on a per-game basis so I can just forget about it. For some this will be a minor almost trivial thing but for me it was one of the things stopping me from buying an HD5870 which is otherwise a fine card.

5. Most games use the The Way It's Meant To Be Played branding which means that you can be confident of having less issues with NVIDIA cards.

6. It seems to have better tessellation performance where there's lots of it such as in the Heaven 2.0 benchmark. That might add to its future-proofing more than the HD5870 once developers get to grips with this intriguing feature.

For those, I'm willing to put up with the negatives aspects of the card in the hope that they don't cause me problems. If they do, well I'll simply sell the card on and buy another.

In summary, a graphics card is only as good as its drivers and, unfortunately, for ATI I don't think theirs are quite as good from past experience as the competitions (fatal fan bug in 196.75 WHQL drivers aside!). If ATI would add all those things mentioned above to their cards then nothing would make me happier than to buy another of their products because they're well-built and sensibly priced.

13. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    It's your money bro. Waste it on a first-gen pile of horse dung.

If you would wait a few months, with your 280 you can afford to do so, I suggest that you would be far more satisfied with an equivalent investment.

The current 480? Waste of money.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Was the GTX 280 not a first generation card that was superceded by the more power efficient, cooler running and faster GTX 285? I've had no problems with mine at all, it's been reliable and stable for the 18 months or so I've had it. In fact, it's probably been the best graphics card I've owned to date.

However, I feel I now need something a bit more powerful as I'm coming across more and more games where I'm having to put up with lower framerates for all the eye candy or compromise. I don't like to compromise. I also want DX11 and I'm not a fan of SLI/Crossfire due to the issues inherent with them (i.e. reliance on driver updates, micro-stutter, etc., etc.). That leaves me currently with a choice of the fastest single GPU cards, either an HD5870 or a GTX 480, and I've explained why I've opted for the latter above.

If I'm unhappy with it then I'll be sure to post that fact on here and you can all tell me: "I told you so"! :p

To be honest, I have thought long and hard about whether I should buy an HD5870 in spite of my grievances with it or even two HD5850s for Crossfire but I can't help feeling I'd be disappointed. Damned if I do, damned if I don't really. Good job then that I have until the 12th April to change my mind.

15. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Tis your choice my friend. I'm sure as hell aren't going to waste a penny on this 5800 reprise.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Anyway, I digress. It wouldn't matter if the thing came with a live hand grenade in the box, you'd buy it anyway ;)

The refreshes will most likely be the cards to buy (provided the heat issues are dealt with).

All joking aside, enjoy your card :)

17. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Nvidia needs to drop price on 470 (~300$) a bit and I'm sure it will be one hell of a card for it's price. I have to agree that 480 is damn expensive for what it got...

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    *sigh*

It seems my options are very limited really considering what I *want*. Common sense is telling me that I should wait six months to see what will be on offer then but I know I can't wait that long. I always said that I'd wait until the new NVIDIA cards came out when I'd have a greater choice of DX11 cards. I've already done well to wait six months for one but to be frank it's only with recent games like Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 that I've felt my GTX 280 is struggling a bit. Should I just put up with 20-30 fps and save £437?

19. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Lol, well-said my friend, well-said.

20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I say you wait another 6 months,
    and that applies to both nVidia and aTI new generations.......

Too much stuff to be revisited / re-designed / re-coded

Since your rig it's up to date, an urgent upgrade it's not a neccesity ........
    20 - 30 fps all maxed out, as long it's smooth , it's ok......... (SP only)