Guru 3D SLI Users Guide (Part #2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Frink

Frink New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gt 512
    Benchmarks you posted didn't help much because I already knew how the GTS 250 preformed roughly but it is good to hear that my first thought about 9800gt SLI being faster was correct. It just doesn't make sence why they would sell those GTS 250 + 9800gt PhysX combos, atleast to someone who actually knows a little about computers.

2. tilong-lee

tilong-lee New Member

GPU:
    MSI GT240
    can you SLI 2 cards if they're a different model number but same core?

3. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    i just got my third 9600GT from the MSI competition, i put it in with my other two cards and nvidia control panel does not show the option for triple SLI, whats wrong?!?!

[/sarcasm]

4. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    Hi
    I tried to resist, I was running my BFG OC 8800 gts in sli for years, happily. now i went and ordered a gigabyte soc 260 gtx ,and i want to SLI it (dhu) but i canr buy another one just now. (Wife,Kids,Bills )
    I would like to SLI it with a gtx 275 as in a few months, im afraid i wont be able to find hi quality 260 gtx card to mate up with my Gigabyte SOC 260.
    can anyone please help me out can i pair up a 260 and a 275 gtx in sli?

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    No, you can't.

6. locolagarto

locolagarto New Member

GPU:
    Dual BFG GTX 260 SLi
    SLi lag problems

I recently upgraded to a SLi set-up. I had a BFG GTX260 solo for about 3 months. and just last week added a second. the install was simple and the control panel linked them up easy enough. I am experiencing an increase in frame rate, however the screen as has hesitations in game. I play Sacred2, which is on the Nvidia list of SLi games. I found the least lock-ups from forcing AFR2. Just wondering why the instability in the picture with all the extra GFX power. I was also noticing the tearing so I activated V-sync. that help there bu now this stuttering is making me think my Computer processing power is to slow. lowering the detail settings should have helped this but it didn't.

Edit: by taking my in game graphics settings all the way to the bottom lowend. I eliminated the issue. sux cause it was better with only 1 card. does the SLi process add that much load to the system that you need to up the Processing power to support it.

What gives?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  7. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    let the sli performance mode NVIDIA recommended

you need use Power Supply Calculator, maybe you dont have enougth power with you PSU

check this

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

8. locolagarto

locolagarto New Member

GPU:
    Dual BFG GTX 260 SLi
    I ran the calculator( Cool Tool!) and it says 423w. so we can say 500. mine is rated at 700w.

I will try going back to recommended, but I thought I got some crashes with that setting. Also I was at 0 pre-rendered frames. I went back to the recommended 3. my CPU utilization is low. 50% on 1 core and 15-20% on the remaining 3 so it doesn't seem like that is an issue. maybe the ASRock P55 mobo is junk and can't handle the SLi like it says it can? still weird that if I un select SLI and run a single card the GFX are smoother in game.

9. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    do you use the sli bridge???
    is weird SLI is faster, check your bios mobo..

10. locolagarto

locolagarto New Member

GPU:
    Dual BFG GTX 260 SLi
    Yes it is installed. since posting I have taken the pre-rendered frame 1 at a time all the way to 8 and it seems to have smoothed out. also using the Nvidia recomended SLi setting seems to run ok, although I get an uneven GPU load. #2 seems to me doing most of the work. I have a lot more overhead ( stereo amplifier term) in that I can run multiple accounts(windows) in game with no loss of fps. Where 1 card I had to reduce all the gfx settings to minimum and and it was still a little slow. So I will test a while longer. Heat may also have been causing the thermal throttling feature to slow my OC settings. I have upped my fan speeds while the system is under load to compensate. 2 cards sure make a lot more heat than 1

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Ok, i`m just wandering what %(gpu usage) people are getting on their secondary card.

The reason I ask is, that all of a sudden in nearly all my games, my primary card seems to be around 80-90% and my secondary card only seems to be around 5-15% even in newer games where before i`m sure i`ve seen my secondary card work harder.

If i run Kombuster it will stress both cards absolutely fine, so i can understand why it seems so low in games.

12. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    what drivers u using?

13. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  14. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    maybe try a old driver the best on for me by far is 182.50

15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^^ yeah went back to 195.81, ran revo and deleted all my reg too, seems to be ok now. cheers :)

16. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    cool maybe nvidia are been naughty and trying to make our cards slow down to make us by a new one ?

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    lol....probably!!! hopefully it`ll be a wee while yet before i have to replace these, they seem to be doing ok with today's games so far.....

18. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    yup i agree im only using one card for cod mw2 and at 1920x1200 one from max settings 2xaa and i dont get any stuttering :D would like to use sli with it but have been avoiding there recent drivers :p

19. carlos3d

carlos3d New Member

GPU:
    nvidia quadro fx 1400 128
    hello:

I have 2 nvidia quadro fx 1400. In the Nvidia web say fx 1400 are ready for SLI technology.

It's true? i can conect the 2 cards?

Thanks

20. blumentopferde

blumentopferde Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870/FireGL V7700
    I have a question on 4-way SLI:
    Does it mean that i can interconnect 4 GPUs?

If yes:
    Which Motherboards can handle this?
    Many motherboards have 2 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, but if they have more than 2 PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots, they will be described as "electric x8" or "x4". What does it mean? can I still run 4 GPUs on these slots?
    What PSU would I need for rig including a 6-core CPU and 4 Geforce GTX 470 GPUs?

hope you can make things clearer to me!
    cheers!