Guru 3D Crossfire Users Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MikeMK, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I have just read about exaclty that John, thanks for the post! I didn't realize that was the case with the boards "unlinked" setting. I did however just read a pretty comprehensive review on the RD600 and like you said does indeed allow separate clockspeeds.

I feel like I'm in the same boat I was in when I first upgraded to C2D! It was fairly easy to choose most of the hardware, except for the motherboard and it's still the case now! I have also learned that not all dividers on the 680i are created equal either, some are more stable than others?

I've been spending time over at the VR-Zone and XS trying to get some answers to my specific issues but havn't had much luck yet. I wouldnt' have much problem letting the 680i go but only if I can find a better board. Then again this board is still fairly new at the moment and the BIOS can probably stil benefit from another revision so I might hold onto it and see if I can work it out.

The first RD600's out now seem like they could also benefit from a more mature BIOS, here's a review from VR-Zone which put together a decent review of it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136032

At the moment the only other board I woudl want to play with is the P5B-Deluxe WIFI, it's had a bit more time to mature and seems to be a pretty decent setup. But like all new motherboards it also has it's fair share of problems! Well thanks again John for the info, much appreciated!

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    FSP is fine for the minuite ;)

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    yep same here.. with the Asus PWDG2 WS Pro.... divider.. so in real you don't set memory with "number/mhz... but you have your FSB.. the choice get it in 1:1.. or use divider... so in real you have many increment / (like A64 it's 1:1 - 1/2 - 3/4 - 4/5 etc... hopefully the PWDG2-WS and PW64 are real solid board for OC.. so in real, at the moment you have good cooling.. the board do exactly what you set in bios.. .... But it's needed too have DDr2 +1000mhz after 4GHz cause 1:1 is no more here and you have only 6xxmhz or 950-1xxxmhz available...i will the new DFI ICFX3200 for really begin tweaks this Core2D.... ( the PSU should be here soon... in add a nice kit of Cellshock 8000C4 "Micron D9GKX" ).. Here a fine test of them:
    http://www.i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=3312

the interesting thing in this DDR Cellshock... the price... here a Corsair 6400C3 or better or any kit in this range is around 750-900CHF.. and only 500CHF for the Cellshock .... handpicked Micron Chip.. the HS is solded with 2 screw.. and thermal paste.. you can easy remove it for install waterblock or anything else on them..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Wow Lane when did you decide to get all this new hardware, lol! So your getting the new DFI ICFX3200, the new Cellshock PC2-8000, and a new PSU? I forget, what supply are you going to get Lane?

I just checked out that review from i4memory and those modules look amazing my friend! Not only that but I also recenlty read a few reviews on the new DFI ICFX3200 and their looking pretty good despite a few drawback. Most seem to think the drawbacks with the board are due to early BIOS revisions and will get sorted with later releases.

I recenlty bought a used Xeon 3060 processor but before I bought that I was going to buy some new memory instead. Not that my Crucial Ballistix are bad or anything but I really wanted some D9GKX instead of the D9GMH IC's! I was looking at a 2GB kit from GSKill (PC2-8500 with stock timings of 4-4-4-5 @ 2.4v). That is pretty awesome for 1066Mhz! In the end though I decided to go with the processor.

At the moment I'm finally stable at 3.6Ghz on 1.44v and there is definelty more left in this processor. At first I was having a heck of time getting this thing stable at 3.6Ghz but after many hours of testing it ended up being my SPP voltage. At any clockspeed above 3.5Ghz my computer either wouldn't boot or would freeze/restart shortly after loading windows (with SPP voltage at anything below 1.3v).

Well after increasing the SPP voltage to 1.55v everything is stable, very stable! This makes me think that my first retail version E6600 was having the same problems but I'm not sure? I'm going to reinstall it and test to make sure. Make sure to keep us posted Lane, I am very eager to hear how this new hardware works for you. By the way Wildstyle is running the PC2-6400C4 Cellshock modules (their also D9GKX).

EDIT: I meant to ask earlier, is there a program for the C2D and Nvidia chipsets for adjusting FSB and timings in Windows? A program like the one Jaffa used in the i4memory forum post you linked to Lane?

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Roger, download Ntune from the Nvidia website. That will give u full control of your bios in windows pretty much.

BTW, got your PM. Well done on gettin that Xeon runnin!

6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've never really used that program before except for the temp/voltage monitoring. I havn't heard many good things about it before but I'll certainly give it go.

Have you decided what motherboard your going to get yet Mike? Also how are the watercooling plans coming along? Did you figure out whether your going to use two radiators or just one? Over the last couple days I've been kinda researching using a Peltier plate on the CPU because of the high temps I'm getting at 3.6Ghz.

When I got thismorning after Orthos had been running for 8.25hrs my temps were a mightly 57C! It's been idling at about 33C-34C, what kind of temps have you been getting with your X6800 at 3.9Ghz Mike? Also what kind of voltage are you running to your CPU with your current settings?

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Roger - nope, no final decisions on a mobo. Im definately not going Asus, seem to have too many bugs. So its either the EVGA or the Abit IN9, which i am awaiting for some feedback on. There seems to be loads of threads on it, but not many results yet. Looks like a promising board however.

As for watercooling, well, it depends. Im replacing my ageing Eheim 1250 pump with a Laing DDC Ultra with a Petra modded top on. This should help with pushing water through that storm which is pretty restrictive.

Then im going for the EK 8800GTX waterblock, and also adding a north bridge block into the loop as these 680i's run pretty toasty.

Im sticking with my current 2 rad setup for the min, and i want the capabililty in the loop to run 2 GPU's aswell. The big question is, weather one loop can handle all that heat. 2 GPU blocks, NB and CPU? If it cant, then i'll buy a 2nd pump (same as above) and a fillport and run a second loop. Maybe have the GPU(s) on one and the CPU/NB on the other. That would be pretty sweet really! I am thinking of replacing one of my rads with a thermalchill 120.2 aswell. (not going for the 120.3 as I wouldnt be able to fit 2 rads in the case, limiting me to only a single loop).

As for overclocks - 24/7 i run my chip at 1.41v for 3.6ghz. I keep it at around that speed as after that i really have to ramp the voltage. On my current setup it idles at around 28 degrees, does about 35 degrees on load very max. Remember my GPU is on air tho atm, so i have 2 rads cooling one CPU! LOL!

3.9ghz i really only use for benching runs, and i have to ramp up the voltage to 1.65v+ for that. I actually havnt really run it like that since i had my xfire setup. With those to cards in the loop, on load i used to touch on 50 degrees after a heavy benching run.

This is y day to day i run it at a more 'friendly' speed ;)

8. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Great info Mike, thanks m8! So your seriously considering the 680i, I think you'll be happy! Plus your watercooling loop sounds great no matter what route you go. Just having a single CPU, Chipset, and G80 in one loop with my Thermochill PA120.3 probably isn't enough because my temps are all quite high,

*all temps with abient of 22.5C
    CPU Idle: 32C-34C
    CPU Load: 55C-57C
    Chipset Load: 39C-42C
    G80 Idle: 40C-42C
    G80 Load: 45C-47C

Although they are quite high there are many others with much higher temps that me with their C2D! Some guys are running upwards of 70+C! I certainly wouldn't be happy with those temps but I'm OK as long as I'm below 60C. I'm affraid though that running my CPU up around 3.8Ghz is going to go above 60C very quickly!

Keep us posted and make sure to take plenty of pictures throughout the build! The same goes for you Lane (despite the fact you dont' have a camera), lol!

9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Hehehe... well, if i get a 2nd 8800, i'll have to move back to the SLI thread ;)

10. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The soft you see is the Clockgen..I m not sure it's compatible with the new Nforce chipset...

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks Lane, I think your right about Clockgen not being compatible with the C55 chipset unforteunlty but hopefully there will be an updated version in the near future?

So Lane are you indeed getting a new motherboard, RAM, and PSU soon? I didn't completely understand your post above so I'm not sure? The new DFI Cross-Fire compatible ICFX3200 looks pretty decent, not to mention that Cell Shock RAM! Should be very decent and futureproof!

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If i understand well.. you have a Xeon.. but it's a new Xeon... from Core2D series.? right..?

Hmm yes , the OCZ PSU 850W is arrived in the shop, i will go search it tomorrow or next days.. for Cellshock i need wait a little bit ( end of the month).. and for DFI ICFX3200, i need wait the mobo is available here..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  13. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I didn't realize the DFI motherboard wasn't available yet in your country (we in the USA usually get all the decent hardware last)! Then again it just barely became available here in the States a few days ago. My Xeon is indeed a C2D version, infact it's basically the same exact thing as the E6600 (4MB Cache, 1066FSB, 65nm, etc.). Here is a linky to the chip over at the EGG,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819117104

I had been searching for about a month for a new C2D chip, something that was more capable than my retail E6600 and something with a better known stepping. Fortunelty I found exaclty the stepping I was looking for and the price was decent (plus the guy who had it before me did lots of stability testing all the way up to 3.8Ghz).

14. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice hope you will have some fun with this Xeon.

15. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI

Mike - did you get an Abit IN9 32x max yet? they're out in the UK now.. lucky! That's the board I am going to get.... I just bought a SilverStone TJ09 case and new galaxy 1kw psu for this new SLI build.. going air cooling for now with a Tuniq Tower.. the case is mighty large and I will sort out the watercooling project after I have some hands on time with the TJ09. whew. :)

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Ordering tomorrow all being well should be here for the weekend. Ive debated endlessly about which board, but i think im gonna opt for the Abit all things considered. The results are just starting to appear, and look quite promising. Not seen any SLI results yet though.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130375

Oh, and yeah, im grabbing an Enermax galaxy aswell. My watercooling has been put on hold, due to the lack of availbilitly of the pump and EK blocks I want, so it'll have to wait for a little bit im afraid. Im still kinda hoping DD will release a mounting kit for my maze 4's all though i have a feeling thats wishful thinking! LOL!

17. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    wow - lucky lucky!! well, I'll live vicariously through you for a while with the IN9.. hehe.. I have been endlessly mulling over which 680i board to get also.. but I think the abit with it's solid state/capless cpu power and good layout is the winner for me.

the galaxy is about the best psu out there for the money imo, if you have space for it.. each of it's 12v output transformers is capable of putting out 80A!! not that they would be able to if pushed, due to the capabilities of other components in the psu, but I think 60A each is very realistic.. that's 120A of 12v total.. not to mention it derives it's 3.33v and 5v seperately.. and is 1/2 modular.. high quality components used and heavy use of ferrite beads on lead ends.. good stuff! ...then there's the future-proofing, eps 3.0 capable and pci-e 2.0 capable also.

be sure to report back on the Abit! :)

18. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Great news guys (Mike/Revenant), can't wait to read some updates and results on new hardware! So you both decided on the Abit, in hindsight I wish I would have waited a bit before I bought my eVGA 680i because of course there would soon be better 680i boards available. With that said before I got the eVGA mobo I had also endlessly debated a handful of boards, for me it was the most important component for my C2D build!

Now I could be wrong here but my eVGA board uses a nForce 590 southbridge chip but I think the Abit mobo is using a different and newer southbridge chip (can you guys validate that)? Infact all the 680i boards might use different southbridge chips (but they all do use the same MCP, C55)?

On a somewhat separate note I added a second radiator to my system. I installed my old BIP 120.3 on the back of my case. Unfortuenlty there is absoulty no difference in temps for any of my hardware? Both my idle and load temps are literally identical and it sucks because I really thought it would help drop temps by at least a few degrees?

Mike I know you had 2x radiators in the past (and may still have two of them) did you happen to start off with only one radiator and then add the second one later? If so do you remember your temps dropping at all once the second rad was installed? In anycase I'm going to keep working at it and see if I can't figure this out?

1.5hrs Later:
    Well I just spent the last hour or so researching this Abit 680i motherboard and I must say it looks awesome! I tried my best to compare to the eVGA and the Abit is on a different level (especially as far as actual onbaord components go)! Not only does the Abit use 100% Japanese caps (eVGA only uses these higher quality caps on the CPU votlage regulation) but it also utilizes a 5-Phase DIGITAL PWM over eVGA's 6-phase analog regulation. Another good point is the onboard chipset cooling which easily puts the eVGA to shame. The Abits is a very large copper heatpipe unit which at least far superior to the eVGA cooling solution. Another interesting thing I noticed was the reset/cmos switches which are mounted on the backpanel instead of only on the actua motherboard where it's hard to get at without removing PCI/PCI-e cards! I really can't wait until you guys get this board in your hands! Mike I hope you can find the time to maybe post some pictures of board and do your best to review it for us, I'm really considering sellng my eVGA and making the switch once it's available here in the states.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Dont worry, will be ordering later tonight, along with some Cellshock PC2-8000 and a galaxy 1kw PSU ;) all being well should be here sat. Will have it running sometime sunday. :)

20. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok i have installed the OCZ 850W in this end of afternoon... the PSU itself is really simple, but really fine.. i was having the feelings of a cheap PSU case.. looking some foto's ,in real the design of the PSU is fine... a dark black, and a cold blue led for the fan... the PSU look rock solid when you touch it...

So OCZ: 4x12V @ 20A..

the 12V look to me really high 12.57V.. But i don't think i need worry about this.. i have not a lot of thing installed:
    (2x SATA2 Hitachi, 1 DVD-RW, floppy, 3 UV leds i have just added in the case. rest is in sig.)

[​IMG]

double spi 16M, charts with speedfan:
    [​IMG]

Don't move a lot.. anyway it's not a stress test, will try get more time for do better test, and i need a find a multimeter for this.

Little variation during 3D 05-06.. but it's normal and the result is really fine..
    ( under 0.05 of variation, need a multimeter for do a " true " test.

Edit:
    Mike
    ... nice choice for the PSU and the DDR... you will get them before me..:bawl:
    mine Cellshock will be here only at the end of this month ( 10 days), i need got my pay for get them... this Cellshock 8000C4 look really the good, and they are more cheap compared to other D9GK Micron in this range.

Good Luck with them!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.