Guru 3D Crossfire Users Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MikeMK, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    i like this old stacker.. actually we can't find them here, only mysique are available ( the black/orange look fine)..

I will do like you in 2 days, I have pay this morning the Vapochill Titan XEII,
    (the prébuild case with Vapo).. they have send it this afternoon, i will get it Friday,... perfect just for start my first hollidays journey.!! :ying:

One ask about Rainbow six Vegas: Is there same prob with this game and AA have got GRAW?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    WOW - Lane.. you're a monster! going vapo.. whew! Merry Christmas all you guys and gals (if there are any reading this)

I am waiting for the MSI P6N Diamond to come out then going SLI and watercooling my 8800GTX cards.. I am also thinking about ditching the koolance in favor of a new LianLi V2000 case and my own customer watercooling.. those v2000s are so darn roomy.. I love them!

EDIT: Ohhh, have you guys loaded up the LOD 4096 and Quarals texture pack 2 with Paralax textuing? I did that, and more.. I basically found all the best mods for highest image qual and loaded them up.. plus Natural Environments.. WOW! it's a whole new game.. the textures are so life like! If you haven't tried them out, I recommend checking this site:

http://betteroblivion.com/alist.php

Scroll to the bottom for the texture enhancements..

I run:

CaptNKill's LOD Mods: This mod is an alternative to Shaja's and Blade's LOD mods. This is the by far the best texture in terms of resolution. However, it's murder on many mid or even high-end PCs. Personally, I'd use CaptNKill's Non-Tiling mod, it does an excellent job at removing the tiling effect of grass. I would only use his distant LOD if you're sure that your computer is able to handle it. Otherwise, go for Shaja's or Blade's.

and all of the Parallax texture mods, plus Quarls Texture Pack 2 and Natural environments.. it's just sick how good it looks.

Anyways, this URL is a nice compilation of all the best mods.. I am running a lot of the non graphical ones also and they work well. Getting so much mileage out of this game... almost starting to rival the original doom. Anyways, this one 8800GTX it chews through all of those enhancements without any issues... I have notice a little jumpiness while new textures are loading.. not too bad tho.. and only once in a while.. I am still amazed this one card can handle it. lol.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    R6:vegas aint got AA becuase like all other unreal3 engine games it dont support it straight up , the developers have to ad it to the engine like thwy did with gears of war

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Merry Christmas Rev and good Eve party.!! .. For all other bro and sisters from Guru too.

Thanks for the link.. will have some work this week- end to do. then i will reinstall Oblivion..

Ok Copey. thanks.. but it's a bad thing for RVS.. there's no way give a better quality to the game? really this is ugly.. Athena Sword was looking better.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006

5. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Mike,
    Well I don't know if it's the same case or not (there seems to be a few different model numbers even though the cases look very similar)? My case does look like yours though with no side window (easy to change though myself) and I'm already modded the bottom of case by extending the hole that was already there (cut it out so that it's the same size as the opening in my radiator) and it looks nice and clean!

Like you I'll also mount my MCP655 pump in the front or someplace close. Whats great about the case is that the motherboard tray is much higher than base of case so even my big Thermochill PA120.3 fits without interfering with motherboard!

I'm not even close to being done but I have fully mounted my northbridge waterblock (which fit perfect), I also mounted my southbridge fan (again fit perfect), and they both look great so I couldn't be happier!

Well I gotta get back to work (there nice enough to let me use the computer for a few minutes but I don't want to take advantage)! Take it easy guys and talk to you later. Hopefully by then I'll have my rig up and running along with pictures!

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Vapo installed.. and runing!!!

Speedfangive something like -20 -19°C... the Vapo software give me -36°C for evap...
    [​IMG]

was a hot install... ... all look fine for the moment... sorry no pics right now.. i have nothing for take some photo..

I need reisntall Cfire now... hmm.. this little cooling solution look nice.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    wow! Lane, u got a vapo? Im impressed m8. Ive been debating about one of those things for a year or more! LOL! How have u found it? Easy to install? Any probs. Also, how noisy is it?

Lookin fwd to seeing some pics and overclocking results m8.

Roger - Looks like your doing a good job on that stacker m8. Didnt realise u were cooling the NB and SB aswell. Do you notice much of a difference with overclocking by doing that? Only ive never really bothered bbh.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    The install was more easy of what i have think... all is well explain in the manual, just some strange thing for the heater.. for the rest, it's fine.. like build a waterblock, but with insulation in more.

Need say the system is a little bit noisy when in "standard" performance mode.. nothing dramatic...and you caan easy reduce the noise with the Asetek software,

I will install a waterblock for MCH/Chipset, cause there's no fan in the case right now...

The real strange thing come from the PSU position, right in front of the CPU,
    but it seems not give prob.

a little 1M... just for see after boot at 4.04.2ghz (can't remember now.)

[​IMG]

Will begin soon some real OC test, when i m sure all is fine and no prob will appears..

Need say when you open the box.. and look the first time of this Case, you see a real monster, the case is really.. really big, black and monstruous, the inside of the case is fine for install what you want, but there's not a lot of place ( forget install a watercooling rad and pump in the case)... the Vapo take all the place on the higher box of the case..
    I wait a Top case with a windows for put a UV light on the VAPO parts.. this will permit see it more..
    Need reinstall all part, ( soundcard etc.. =) and do a fresh install of windows for begin bench in bettter condition.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    A little bench series at 4ghz (4013) 400:400x10 ( DDR6400 4-4-4-12)
    ( 1.5Vcore, 1.4-1.7 1.2)
    - stock X1950+X1900XTX stock no AA, no AF.

3DMark'05:
    3D score: 21'622
    CPU score: 12'626

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2455563
    GT1 - Return To Proxycon 86.2 fps
    GT2 - Firefly Forest 65.1 fps
    GT3 - Canyon Flight 115.3 fps

-3DMark06:
    Score: 11'579

SM 2.0 Score: 4'586 Marks
    SM 3.0 Score: 5'225 Marks
    CPU Score: 3'519 Marks

3D'01Mark Score: 64882
    test all 3D Mark complete without stop/reboot between them.. ( test with CPU) for see if it's stable under 3D.. now will begin some Primetest... and begin OC more then.

for test stabilty before Prime and go higher:¨DDR stock timings/speed
    v @4ghz ( little OC,, but i need make some test at 1.5V)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  10. shredder@play

shredder@play New Member

GPU:
    ATI XTX1900 512 X-Fired
    Stock voltages of ATI 1900 Master and Slave

Based on Riva Tuner diagnostics,
    Stock Voltage on both Master and Slave cards are at 1.2 volts and 5.45 Amps each

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    it's in 2d mode.. then it' s higher.

12. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Lane,
    I've been so busy lately that I havn't really been able to keep up with the threads, lol! Plus I've been actively working on my system and trying to get it up and running properly, fortuenlty I'm finally starting to get there!

Anyway I just realized your now running Phase-Cooling, that is awesome! From reading the last few pages of the thread it seems that this was your first phase-change system? Was it difficult to setup and get running correctly? 4.2Ghz on your E6700 is pretty awesome so you must have figured it out, lol!

It's been a while since you've posted here, since then have you been able to take any photos of your new setup? I'd love to see your phase-change cooler and also see how you have it setup? I also need to post some pictures of my new build because I've basically got a completly new system! It's just such a pain in the butt to take the pictures, download to computer, upload to imageshack, then post linky in thread (lots of work to post pictures)!

I just wanted to say great job man, Iv'e always thought it would be awesome to have phase-change cooling! If you get a chance please update us with your progress with the new hardware. Thanks man, take it easy!

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    badly i can't take foto's...( nothing for take them) but it's the full Vapochill case....

Setup was easy, really easy, you just addition the insulation and follow the manual for build the evaporator ( the block come on CPU).... and the fixation.. it's really easy and make me just think it's like build a waterblock.. insulation in more...

The case is big, monstruous, black... bigger in size of my TT Armor.. you have windows side panel ( and an additional windows on top for show the Vapochill)
    But you have just the place for build your hardware under the Vapochill.. the PSU is installed in front of the CPU?!!??... really strange place.. but in real there's no place at all where put it... for the rest the case is fine.

a Vapochill is noisy..lol.. 2x 140mm fans run at 2000-2800.. really loud can be reduce for all day by lowering this fans..

anyway good you got a stable 4ghz for all days, you forget temp...

4.2ghz look easy to got.. but i have some prob with my DDR.. ( absolutely impossible to OC them... ProMos.. and i need up them for stable after 4.2ghz) and this time, i need a new PSU's.. ouch!! the power ask of the CPU (Vcore between 1.6-1.7V for more of 4.1ghz) and GPU's OC.. the Enermax is down at this point..

anyway i have update all my score incredibly..

13'155 on 3D 06 ( low OC on Gpu's.. my PSU drop at this point..)
    23'339 for 3D05.. this allow me be just behind Phrozin in Guru HWbot..

Look on Benchmark Mayhem...i have take some good rank place.. (3th on
    3D05)

Like too uch this phase change..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  14. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    Lane - you animal! :) those are some impressive numbers you're turning in there. post pics when you can. :)

Roger - how's your 8800 on water going?

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Thanks Revenant,

3D05 score is fine, like it's really CPU dependant, for 3D06, i will OC more the Gpu's, i need a new PSU.!! i need at minimum a 750W rock solid.. a 850W will be the must, with Vcore around 1.6-1.7V.. the power ask of the CPU(system..) is really high... the Core2D is a hunger of power when Overclocked at more of 4ghz..

16. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    yes, even '06 gets cpu bound with two 8800GTXs tho... anytime the video subsystem is that much more powerful than the main system you'll see cpu bound behavior..

I'm ready to go SLI with 8800GTXs now.. I just need a decent mobo to do it on... the Striker looks ok, but I am not sold on it yet.. I'm looking forward to the new Abit 680i board.. or the Gigabyte with quad-triple phase power.. looks nice. The N680SLI-DQ6.. should be out late this month. hopefully. :)

hopefully a nice quad core will be out soon also which is less than a grand. lol.

so, did I hear right? the R600 delayed until march now??

17. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for replying Lane, too bad you don't have a digital camera (stop spending all your money on high-end exotic cooling), lol! Although it doesn't sound like a new camera is a priority now since you now need new high-power PSU! I agree with revenant, great job with everything m8! It's nice to see your benchy scores, very impressive!

About a month ago when I first started my upgrades I said I would post some pictures of everything (but never did), lol! Well about 2 days ago I finally finished my build and got it the way I like it, finally! So I decided to take some time and take some pictures of everything (with the new digial camera my rents bought me for Christmas) and posted them last night. Here's the link to check them out,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2091527&postcount=8780

I really like my new camera, the pictures are actualy pretty detailed even though I'm a complete noob when it comes to cameras. To answer your questions revenant I'm very happy with the G80 on H20!

I initially bought a Swiftech MCW60 GPU block along with their G80 mounting kit but never used it. By the time it was delivered Danger Den got some DD-8800GTX blocks in stock so I got one and I'm glad I did! I was worried because it's a full-coverage block but fortuenlty it was machined very well and makes almost perfect contact with all components on card!

The only downside about watercooling my G80, chipset, and CPU is that my overall temps go up of course. So my temps are not great to say the least. Here are my current temps,

CPU (running at 3.2Ghz on 1.45v):
    Idle: 29C-36C
    Full-Load: 41C-56C
    *temps vary depending on room temp, when running Orthos (small-FFT's) it will max out in the high 50'sC after a few hours*

GPU (running stock voltage and stock clockspeeds):
    Idle: 41C-45C
    Full-Load: 47C-55C

Chipset (FSB 1425Mhz and 1.6v):
    Idle: 36C-39C
    Full-Load: 41C-43C

My E6600 (L630A9) runs very warm compared to some others I've seen? I have been looking for weeks now for a new E6600 or E6700 with better steppings but havn't had much luck. Although I did meet someone with an ES E6700 who is trying to get $460 + shipping for it, not sure yet but I'll probably get it. It's running 4.5Ghz on phase with 1.55v but he's also run it at 3.9Ghz on watercooling with 1.5v so I'm hopefull. Then again I'm still pushing my chip to see what it's capable of but I"m not hopefully, especially with my current temps?

EDIT: Just saw your post Revenant and I also heard that the DFI is delayed but hopefully it's just rumor?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  18. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    Roger - great new build. very nice! makes me want to rebuild my machine. lol. On your cpu temps, it's possible you got too much AS5 on it?? maybe.. I usually re-mount if I think my cpu temps are off... but these 4-point intel mounts are hard to mess up really.. anyways.. I'd say you're temps are pretty good for all of those being in the same loop together.. good things! :)

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Roger - Fantastic Job on that rig. well done. Sorry I havnt replied to your PM's, busy weekend. I'll have a proper read tonight after work and get back to you.

Rev - Which Abit board are you talking about? Im looking at 680i boards myself atm. Would it be this one?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-119-AB

got any good info on it? Might interest me!

20. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    that is the one! :)

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=333

it's layout troubles me a little tho.. the MSI P6N Diamond with the onboard X-Fi is the one I think would fit my needs the best.. I'm very limited on card space because of this koolance setup.. I might need to bite the bullet and pull the koolance pc3-725 out and go more custom watercooling.. or get one of those Coolit Systems freezone TEC coolers for the cpu.. hrm.. the jury is out atm. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.