Guru 3D Crossfire Users Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MikeMK, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Lane - your links don't seem to be working for me m8!

2. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    ouch i verifiy....

anyway look on EVGA forum if you have not doing yet there's a lot of fixes and info for OC and use corectly the board..

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ouch:gape: yes for me too-.. i will verifiy why.....

anyway look on EVGA forum if you have not doing yet there's a lot of fixes and info for OC and use corectly the board.. info with the last bios too,

4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    First of all thanks for the info over at eVGA forums Lane, although the links didn't work I was able to make my way over there and was impressed by all the 680i specific info! It seems like all the 680i boards (despite being of reference design) all have their own quirks, and a very steep learning curve.

So I finally got my system up and running with the GTX waterblock working perfectly! My loop consist of my pump, radiator, GTX block, and then my CPU block. I havn't had much time to test yet but with everything at stock speeds (CPU, GPU) my temps are as follows,
    CPU:
    Idle: 23c-25C
    Load: 31C-33C

GPU:
    Idle: 40C-42C
    Load: 45C-47C (Highest temps recording using RT 16.2 during looped runs of 3DMark06).

Granted both CPU and GPU are running at stock speeds but those temps are pretty darn good as far as I'm concerned, especialy since my GPU temps before the block were,

Idle: 61C-67C
    Load: 76C-84C

So the Idle temps aren't too much lower but the load temps are just great under water! One of the best things is that you don't feel heat radiating off the graphics card anymore like it used to do!

Once my next-door neighbor gets home from work I'll post some pictures of it, unfortuently I wasn't able to use his camera yesterday during the build process but I'll try to take some good ones. I'm on my way over to eVGA forms to continue reading!

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Very nice temp Roger... really i m impressed.. nice set up... the Intel is really more hot compared to last A64 ( i think to last X2 939 and all last socket 939.. i have not check AM2).. and your temp look pretty fine.. this make me think: - Don't buy the Innovatek L775..all peoples looking here.. the Innovatek foe GPU's was and is really good ( i use 2 and i m realy Happy with it).. but this G-Flow is a crap of pieces..!!!!

Hope you can soon give use some warm shoot OC soon..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Good point about the Intel C2D's running a bit warmer than out old A64's! Although my CPU temps are decent right now, as soon as I increase the clockspeed upwards of 3.0Ghz and increase voltage up to around 1.4v-1.45v the temps jump significanlty! I'll post back later with temps once I get up around that speed! It was about 32C-37C before, but I didn' have the G80 in the loop so I'm not hopeful!

7. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:

it's a pèroblem with CPU using 65nm... i have see that with AM2 and Intel test.. if the voltage need at stock is really low.. when up this and run Higher clock.. the temp increase a lot .. in real it's higher of old 90nmm.. with intel it's more hard to say cause it's the first time they perform like this.. but a compare.. between A64 socket 939 and AM2 or socket 939 65nm ( soon 45nm) give the good response... if they begin at lower voltage when you begin increase or FSB.. temp up at same level or more... finally the 45-65nmm is justa good thing for place ( and for possibity do 4 cores)

8. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I think that heat might also have something to do with how the heatspreader is attached over the die? I've heard from a few people that the heatspreader is actually soldered on to die and I've also seen some pictures over at XS forums which show this! There are a few people here on the forum with E6600-E6700 who have very hot chips and are convinced that their chips have bad contact between the die and heatspreader?

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes.. i have see this too ( don' try remove IHS on E6xx or AM2.., you will kill them).. One good solution is lap the overtop of the CPU.. effect-- thiis reduce radically the temp. specially CD2.. i can give you some try of Eva2000.. impressive result,

10. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    What is eve2000 Lane, havn't heard of it before? By the way did you lapp your E6700? There is a member named John who's E6600 runs pretty hot, even after fully lapping the heatspreader to! I havn't lapped mine yet because the heatspreader seems pretty darn straight to me (put a stainless steel ruler of mine up to it and couldn't find any convex or concave areas so I don't think that lapping mine would make any difference but I could be wrong?

11. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol-- Eva2000 will apreciate.. it's the creator ( or one) of I4memory.com.

http://i4memory.com/
    (Australian site)

Hey Guys,, Where's Phrozin? I hope it's live well

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  12. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Yes I believe Phroz is doing quick well although havn't heard from him in a bit! He's probably just trying to get his new quad-core stable at 6Ghz, lol! In all seriousness he'll be back in the near future, at least I hope so as I miss his advice and knowledge! By the way Lane, thanks for the explantion!

13. Darth_Lukas

Darth_Lukas New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon x1650 256 PCI-E
    This is the first time I've ever tried installing a Crossfire system and I can't seem to get it to work. I have a Asus a8r32-mvp deluxe motherboard with a crossfire 3200 chipset, 2 Powercolor Radeon x1650 PCI-E 256 crossfire ready cards. They both work fine in single mode and i can get them to display duel moniters, but i can't enable Crossfire. It says to connect the interconnect cable, but I thought that the 1600 series didn't need one. I have downloaded the latest drivers for CCC and updated my bios. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  14. Don_Won

Don_Won Master Guru

GPU:
    evga GeForce 8800GTX (650/2100)
    are your cards x1650xt or x1650pros?

15. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    something good for Cfire user..

DFI UT ICFX3200 (R600/SB600 ATI/AMD).. my god... it's finally released..

One: performance look really good .

second the tweaks look like really fine, we will need don't forget DFI second and follow bios are better.. but all of this look really, really good..

RD600 review @ http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2891

Tony from OCZ has posted the start of his DFI ICFX3200-T2R/G RD600 motherboard overclocking & tweaking guide at www.thetechrepository.com

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=76

16. Darth_Lukas

Darth_Lukas New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon x1650 256 PCI-E
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  17. Don_Won

Don_Won Master Guru

GPU:
    evga GeForce 8800GTX (650/2100)
    I guess we, people who have the p5w dh, won't have to change motherboards for the r600 crossfire, as the rd600's pci-e are still 2x8 :D yay!!

18. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    no it's 2 x16... in real only 2x8 if you are using the third PCi express slot at 2x for a PPU.

In other point this DFI is most like allways for overclockers.. this one is the first with all the max settings available.. and look like really more performer compared to the the actual NF680I available..

More the bios is actually the more tweakable.. it look like a dream for OC the CD2.

To note: - a DFI RD680I ( Nvidia 680I) will be available too.

Edit: After have read and discuss so much around OC'er forum this 2 last days. it's seems this board is really the best actually.. ( before the next) i m glad see AMD/ATi DFI have make a great job.. i keep your attention to the N680I DFI version coming soon, looking too really really good....

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  19. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks Lane for the news and linky's! I've been offline for a few days now because my computer at home is down (got a new stacker case like Mikes) so I've had a massive build going on since Monday and I'm still not done! For the first ever I think I might actually be able to fit all my watercooling hardware inside the case (fingers crossed because it's going to be very tight)!

Unfortuelty since I've been offline for a few days I havn't been able to research these new boards from DFI but I think your very right Lane, their going to be special I'm sure! I've never had a DFI board that I've been dissapointed in! Infact I'd make the switch over to DFI's 680i motherboard in a heartbeat over my current eVGA model.

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Ahh, u got the same stacker as me? Well m8, u should fit it all in easily mate. I recommend u fit your rad on the bottom. Remove the grating and it gives u a nice 240mmish hole to sit the rad on top. With your tripple i would probably get a dremmel to it and extend it further. What pump have u got? If its small enough it should sit fine in the front of the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.