Guild Wars 2 issue/questions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by clexzor, Sep 9, 2012.

1. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    Hey all currently having an issue with gw2 i know there seems to be issues around WvW however ive seem to have located the issue im running 12.8 with the new 12.8 caps. Now when im buy myself in the game or less than certain amount of people maybe 20 or less my gpu usage is stable and doesnt jump up and down.

However when it gets alot of people etc on screen or not even on screen my core clock is fluctuating up and down the gpu usage is spiking causing between 20-30 fps rather than 40+ like it was when the game came out anyone else experiencing this or have a fix???

thanks clex

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    This isn't your or the card, or the drivers. It's Arena Nets' engine. This happens to a lot of people including me with HD 7970 Crossfire, I just don't get dips quite as low as you.

The problem is this engine bounces back and forth between CPU and GPU too often. Most of the game is ran from the CPU. So to answer your question....sadly it's normal until Anet optimizes their engine towards more GPU usage than CPU.

3. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    I gotcha sounds exactly right thanks for the quick response! hope they get it goin correct soon!

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

5. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    thanks but yeah tried those actually they seem worse and core clock less stable with those drivers.

6. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    i'm using the 12.8 with the new cap and at 2560x1600 , max game setting with a single 7970 , get 60 fps (solid) at 65% utilization

7. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    are you talking pve or WvW? i doubt ur geting 60 fps solid when 100 folks are on the screen...more detail thanks

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I can't believe this at all, as people at 1080p cannot achieve this with Crossfire. Let alone a single HD 7970.

9. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    i was playing pve , @ghost those are the facts bro , i would be more then happy to take a screen shot , why would i bs any one ???

i will test at 1080 p and 1600 p with vsync off to see the true fps , i never ran ab (so i could monitor fps) before with the old 12.7cap3 , but it perfectly smooth then also , i have always had much higher fps then the reveiw say i should , not sure why , just like the reviews say i should get around 40 fps , in bf3 2560x1600 (ultra / 4x aa) when i actually get 58 (at the lowest , min ) but usually sits around 65 up to 75 ish , with a single overclocked 7970 , wasn't always like that though , i had 2 7970's (one died ) but since that the new drivers has made a nice improvement in performance , no need for dual cards anymore , and i sure wouldn't be selling my second card if i wasn't getting a solid 60 fps in any game i play

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  10. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    I have similar problems to, my system isnt the best but my cpu at least should be working at 99% all cores, only 1 core is working at 99% the others are at 60% dunno why...My 2x6850s are at 55% gpu usage so only thing i can figure out is that the game is retarded...:bugeye:

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Screenshots would be great, because I do not know anybody with any system that can do that in heavily populated areas, as the engine limits the GPU right now since it is more CPU based.

12. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    ok i will , but when i was playing it wasn't that heavily populated , maybe 20-30 atmost , so what should i be getting for performance ?? and how do i post a screen shot here ? never done it before

13. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    yes we are talking about large scale pvp not 20 or so people i can get 50+ with only 15 or 20 but after or around 40+ start getting wierd.

I know that the cap didnt increase the fps but made it some what smoother at 30 fps vs 30 fps feeling like crap. Guess just gna havto wait for beter drivers or engine optimization.

14. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    update (pve) i tested with out vsync at 2560x1600 max everything = 65-95 fps and at 1920x1080 = 75-120 fps , i never found any huge battles , but there was around 30-40 players again , and my cpu usage is about 45-55 %
    and it sure heats up my gpu , up untill now i've never seen my 7970 temp go over 41 c (overclocked + overvolted) but this game made it run at 44c , mayby it's the new drivers and caps !

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    In the game options set the frame limiter to 60 and turn on vsync. The frame limiter cleans up the fps spikiness. Also, set shadows to medium or high, turn off post processing, set reflections to terrain and sky, set the LOD distance to medium.

16. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    yeah i do enable vsync usually , i just wanted to test max fps , and why would i turn down the setting ?? :confused:

or are you saying that to some other members ?

17. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    Yeah he mainly was prly talking to me I tried most of those settings and yes seems to stablilize in wvw around 30 fps which is fine and very playable. Thansk for advice.

Oha nd also my sepcs are i7 950 4.2ghz 12gb ram 1603mhz 120gb ssd 7870 2gb.

is it possible my 950 is struggling??? i figured at 4.2 i could atleast wait till the stonewalls come out before upgrading......

18. plywood99

plywood99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid Cool
    Your cpu is fine clexor.
    For me I didn't care for the 12.8 officials for GW2. I'm using the 12.7 betas from AMD's website and they seem much better. 12.7 betas with the 12.8 caps.

I'm on Win 8 though so that might make a difference.

19. clexzor

clexzor Member

GPU:
    I gotcha thanks..i did find something that made my game way smoother this guide..

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117633

20. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    your cpu is perfectly fine , heck a 920 at 4.5-4.7 ghz , doesn't even bottleneck 2 7970's every benchmarks i've ever compared to mine rig (not including synthetic benchmarks). dual and single cards , have been the same or more then a newer/modern cpu/platform , that's why i haven't changed platforms , also it seams that most people that have the newer platforms have more issue's (probably due to early bios issues)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012