Guide to RAM

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    wow! That's ultra high, way above ddr2's standard of 1.8v. Anyway, what temperatures did you get while running them at 2.7v?

2. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    @WildStyle
    What do you think of this OCZ vs Team Xtreem DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-10? I'm thinking of buying this OCZ kit and sell my 2x1GB Xtreem rams once they arrive from rma. Do you think it would be a good decision?

I can get this OCZ kit right now at ~$240-$260 2nd hand. And probably sell the Xtreem rams at ~$300 when they arrive.

What's bad about rev. 1? ^

2GB Dual Channel Kit P/N - OCZ2P8002GK

800MHz DDR2
    CL 4-5-4-15 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    Unbuffered
    Platinum Mirrored XTC Heatspreader*
    Lifetime Warranty
    2.1 Volts
    240 Pin DIMM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    id have the team xtreme over the OCZ personally , as there botht the same speed but the OCZ has higher latency's , and also the team xtreme have a chance of getting D9 chips, so massive overclocking potential

4. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    The Team Xtreem DDr2-800 4 4 4 10 modules are D9-GMH

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Providing the Team works, stick with it.

The OCZ2P8002GK for a start does not use Micron. I believe it may be Elpida but I have no definite info on what it did/does use. Think OCZ are probably under NDA. Next to that there were a lot of boot issues on 965 based boards featuring an Award BIOS (e.g. DS3), though your P5B Deluxe is AMI. The problems were due to immature BIOS code in conjunction with the RAM's SPD. The new revision of these sticks (ocz2p800r22gk) introduced a new IC though. The issues are probably all sorted now, and I don't think they applied to your board anyway but regardless they are inferior sticks in terms of performance.

6. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    I'm thinking of saving a little $$ since I won't be running them @ 1000MHz anyway. Only about 960Mhz when I overclock for benchmarks, but I'll run the mems at just around 800MHz for 24/7.

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I still wouldn't do it. The Team will have the extra potential should you ever require it, and the resale value will be better because D9GMH isn't going to be around forever. We've already seen what happened to the Fatbodys. I don't think it's worth sacrificing such good RAM, that will likely become rare and sought after in future for a small amount of money. Apart from that the coolness factor is surely worth it? :p "W00t I got D9's!"

8. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    You win WildStyle! :D
    Thanks, you've helped my decision!

"W00t I got D9's!"
    "W00t I got D9's!"
    "W00t I got D9's!"

:supercool

9. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    nice sticky wild style. it's been very helpful. but i'm having trouble trying oc'ing my rig. i want to have 3 GHZ cpu and that's what i did

fsb = 300
    multiplier = 10
    ram divider = 166
    timings 2.5 - 3 -2 -5 - 1T

it's boots and everything but prime95 give me a rounding error the second i press start test and the system becomes unstable. i've struggling for days now to find the perfect point with no points. i resetted the BIOS hundreds of times with no good. any help will be highly appreciated. thanks.

10. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    FOr a start, it may be your CPU. Have you considered that it may not reach 3Ghz (at least not be stable)with stock voltages and air cooling? You'll need to provide more info(cooling being use, voltages across CPU, RAM, chipset etc). Merely setting the HTT to 300 and the multi at 10 is a very wrong way of hitting 3Ghz.

Try keep the multi at 14 and increase the HTT to 214 to ensure the CPU will even do 3ghz without increasing the voltage across it. 214 shouldnt be a struggle for even value ram, but to be on the safe side, lower the divider to rule the ram out.

A read of the overclocking guide would be beneficial, as you should be finding the limits of each of your components then trying to find a happy medium of overclocks

11. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI

i've been able to reach 3 GHZ with that cpu but it's not stable at all.

thanks for the heads up. i managed to reach a good overclock for this cpu

CPU Speed = 2.92 GHZ
    CPU Vcore = 1.52
    multiplier = 13
    RAM multiplier: 200 MHZ
    FSB = 225
    Timings 2-3-2-6-1T
    DDR Vcore = 2.6

7900 GTX Sli , core = 700 , memory = 1800. xxx edition clocks

been running prime95 for hours now with no errors. 10077 score in 3dmark06. i think i can live with these scores until my case (cooler master stacker 830) for my 6600 and 8800 GTX rig. i already have all the components except the case.

anyways thanks for trying to help.

12. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

oK, so, I really dont know if I have good news or not...
    I couldnt resist... so Probably I will be receiving and ICFX-3200 in one or two weeks (ASUS P5B should wait) and the price being the same as e-680i.

For that, I will probably get an E6400 or even E6300 and upgrade it later.

If I have any results and news, I will keep you informed.

Greetings to all.

EDIT: Well, it seems Kingston is sharing some PC9600 memory to try with the RD600 (I will proabably receive it in 2 weeks) andIve got an E6600 and a Kentsfield for the review.

I will keep you informed ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  13. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    No probs, here's a couple of links that should help you further:

Overclocking guide
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=139322

A64 memory overclocking Guide I wrote a while ago
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=194679

Hope these help. BTW, if you wanna push your ram, you'll most likely need more than 2.6v, somewhere in the region of 2.8-2.9v should be fine for a few extra Mhz, also loosening the timings will help.

1.52 volts is probably not enough to get an FX60 to 3Ghz+ in most cases, but you should really only be hitting 1.6v+ with high end air / water cooling

Good luck!!! And post your results back

14. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    how about this ram
    A-Data Dual Channel 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Memory Module Specifications

Memory Size
    2 x 512MB

Memory Speed
    667MHz PC5400

Memory Type
    Dual Channel DDR2

Memory CAS Latency
    4-4-4-12

Pins

is that bad or good

15. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    what kind of rig are you planning to run it in?are you going to oc at all?if your not ocing it should be fine and may oc quite well in a c2d rig.theres room for loose timings and probably more mhz but theres not much to be had for results about it.
    adata is a solid company.not the most recognized but they are a good manufacturer.

16. CRaSHDuMY

CRaSHDuMY Active Member

GPU:
    NVidia 7900GTO PCIE 650/1.48kmhz
    Hello peeps

Can anyone tell me what sorta chips are used in this stuff ? >

OCZ 2GB DDR2 1066 CL5.0 DUAL CHANNEL SLI-READY EDITION EPP

I've just bought some and my smile is widening .

Fastest I've had it is about 1266 mhz but I think its got a little more in it and the price seemed good .

(For fellow UK'ers http://www.ginger6.com/ddr2-1066-cl50-dual-channel-sliready-edition-p-11138.html )

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Above was 1100mhz @ 4-4-4-12 Cmd 2
    Below is 849mhz @3-3-3-8 Cmd1

Damn but this is a confusing motherboard ! Must be the "strap step" @ 450mhz

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  17. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    most likely its micron d9gkx but it could also be high binned d9gmh.i havent been able to find anything concrete tho.very nice modules you have there!

18. kevinchong

kevinchong New Member

buying new laptop ram

Hi, I'm a newbie to this.

I'm thinking of buying a piece of RAM for my laptop. It is now using an Infineon 32M X 64 SDRAM PC2100S-2033-0-A1 256MB, DDR, 266, CL2. There is a slot for an additional piece of RAM.

The question is: I'm using Infineon RAM right now, is it okay to buy Ram of another brand? Or should I buy another Infineon RAM?

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

19. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ideally you would like to use the same brand/type of memory.if not then be sure to check with your laptop manufacturer for compatable upgrades.also make sure you dont need a matched set for your pc.
    Welcome to Guru Kevin!

20. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    How far do you think my rams would go? I tried to set it at DDR1180 @ 2.15v @ auto settings and the rams were automatically set at 5-5-5-18. I haven't tried to bench it yet except with Everest. I just upped the fsb in the bios, not with the strap method.

My 2x1GB DDR2 800 Xtreem 4-4-4-10 @ DDR1180 5-5-5-18 (auto) @2.15v

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.