** Guide to Overclocking Phenoms on AM2+ Boards **

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by OldGuy932, Feb 2, 2008.

1. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    I actually need to rewrite some of it again. Right now I'm doing some tables for a comparison of the nb speeds, 8x-12x, and also different nb speeds with the same cpu speed, there are a few people over on xs that needed complete proof that it works. I really need to get a screen of my 3ghz up here, I hit 3.06 but it won't take voltage higher than 1.325 which is extremely odd, but oh well. I also have the vapo mount for it coming in this week, so I'll get some data from that as well.

...Cinebench is a bear to run at stock settings with the single cpu test...

2. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Major update to the guide. I'll have stuff about overclocking with phase soon, so if you think its a handful overclocking on air, using my vapo is like adding an arm and a leg to it.

3. PhantomLSX

PhantomLSX Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 X2
    Wow thanks for the indepth guide to overclocking the phenom I plan on trying this in a couple of days this will be my first rodeo so Iam trying to get as much info as possible. :puke2:

4. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    To anyone that reads this, don't do subzero with your phenom because it doesn't help at all. The other problem is that some phenoms actually lose their overclock over time. I was running my BE at 2.6 for a while, no benching just casual gaming like Guild Wars and Diablo 2 and CnC3, and then all of a sudden it started freezing after running for about 15 min. I'm not the only one to have this problem, KTE over on XS had this happen on a few of the phenoms he tested. I'm probably going to shell out the money for eitehr a 9750 or 9850 BE. The 9750 is on my list only if I can get the 95W version, the 125W one is not to my liking. I shall be back when I get the processor I do for more testing, till then I haven't much else to do hardware wise.

5. nahuel

nahuel New Member

GPU:
    nx7600gs 256mb
    Nice guide. I have a msi k9a2 cf V2 and a Athlon64 3500 +. in the bios I can not find the nb multi. is because my athlon? How change nb multi? i can´t pass 250fsb
    PS: I am using a translator (spa eng)
    From Argentina

6. COOSTA

COOSTA Master Guru

GPU:
    GT650m 2GB
    Wow,really nice guide.

7. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    I guess if people are going to want to use this I'm going to need to update it.

Edit: General update done to the guide.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  8. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    I'm surprised this hasn't been sticky yet, excellent guide btw.

9. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Probably from the lack of bios screens. But if people are bent on getting a phenom to overclock, they will either clock it very little or will be willing to spend alot of their time working on getting it to work.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ lol. *Word*.
    (Been working on mine for a month now and still haven't settled on what works best, although I do have 16 pages of notes written on BOTH SIDES!!! ;) )

Psychlone

11. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Well my board is crapping out now, it seems that trying to push 3.25 out of my 9600 wasn't what it wanted to do and now it won't tweak for anything now. Now I have to wait even longer to do my crossfire comparison between intel and amd...grr...

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    the guide you want is in the link below,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=139322

13. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    I ordered an opty 1356 from newegg yesterday, so I'll have that to play with soon enough. Board didn't get screwed too much, I think it was just that I corrupted the bios because it doesn't seem too bad after a bios flash to 1102.

Feel free to post stuff that you think I can add to the post, the more information the better. I know I'm not the only one out here who likes to experiment with new hardware.

14. xnight

xnight New Member

GPU:
    too old... for now

La guia esta es para un processador distinto al tuyo, abri el BIOS y escarba, yo no tenia la mas, minima idea come hacerlo tampoco hace una semana atras y aprendi solo....... pero yo tengo el AMD Phenom 9850 BE lo unico que hice yo fue levantar el voltage y levantar el Multiplier a 14.5, y estoy en 2.9 ghtz, estable.

Sorry someone has to guide him

15. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Well long story short my 1356 died because I tried flashing a different bios with it in that didn't support it and I won't have a new one till next wednesday. In the few minutes I was in windows though, that processor gets lower temps at the same volts as my 9600 at the same speed, and that includes the extra multi for the nb. The 1352 is a good deal, only thing I don't like about it is the low cpu multi.