Guide to modding Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LinkDrive, Feb 3, 2010.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Please backup your Coalesced.ini file before doing any editing as this is a critical file to allowing your game to load properly.

First, what we will need are three simple tools.

Notepad++
    ME2 Ini Fixer
    Unreal Model Viewer

First, what we're going to need to do is open Coalesced.ini in your MassEffect2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked folder with Notepad++

Next, we need to decide what we want to do.

Changing Weapon Stats

Weapon modifiers start at line 7043. From here, we can simply change the default values such as Damage= and RateOfFire= freely. Make sure the X= and Y= values remain the same.

Adding apparel and armor
    ( Don't let the size of this section intimidate you. Adding apparel is super easy. )

Armor and outfits start at line 4079. For this, we're going to need Unreal Model Viewer to view the articles we want to add or change.

Go to MassEffect2\BioGame\CookedPC

Once we're there, click and drag .pcc files to the model viewer to view the content. Use page up and page down to cycle through each individual objects. The .pcc files we're most interested in for now are as follows

BIOG_HMM_ARM_SHP_R
    BIOG_HMM_ARM_MED_R
    BIOG_HMM_ARM_HVY_R
    BIOG_HMM_ARM_CTH_R
    BIOG_HMF_ARM_SHP_R
    BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R
    BIOG_HMF_ARM_HVY_R
    BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R

Since my character is a femShep, I'll be using the HMF_ ( Human Female ) files as an example.

( Note: It's possible to give femShep some maleShep apparel and vice versa, which could lead to some potential humorous situations. Screenshot Screenshot )

Once you find the outfit you like, go to line 4082 and press Ctrl+D to duplicate the line. If you want to add an outfit for maleShep, delete every bit of code starting with ,Female and ending at the next ). If you want to add an outfit for femShep, delete every bit of code before ,Female and ending at the ( just before "Male=".

From here, you'll see a line of code that says something like "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHe.HMF_ARM_CTHe_MDL"
    What this means is package.flag.material
    Our package is the .pcc filename we saw that super awesome outfit in using the model viewer. The flag is the line of code just prior to the _MDL or _MAT, so in this case, it's CTHe. The material is the mesh and texture.

[​IMG]

This is the outfit I chose.
    [​IMG]
    ( Note: The colors you see in the model viewer may not necessarily be the colors presented in game. )

So, all we need to do is replace the line "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHe.HMF_ARM_CTHe_MDL" with "BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R.MEDc.HMF_ARM_MEDc_MDL" and then change the FemaleMaterialOverride= from "BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.CTHh.HMF_ARM_CTHh_MAT_3a" to "BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R.MEDc.HMF_ARM_MEDc_MAT_1a".

If we wish to keep this as a casual outfit, make sure the beginning of the code starts with CasualAppearances=
    If you wish to change this to an Armor type you can wear on missions, change CasualAppearances= to FullBodyAppearances=. Also be sure to add ,GameEffects=("SFXGame.SFXGameEffect_Gear_PowerBelt") after the MAT_xx") line, prior ,PlotFlag=-1

( Note: There is no space between l and t in ,GameEffects=("SFXGame.SFXGameEffect_Gear_PowerBelt"). I don't understand why there's a space since there's none when I try to edit the post :3eyes: )

[​IMG][​IMG]

If you have an outfit that's being overridden in game, then make sure you change the Id=# since this may be the culprit.

Changing loadouts

Here we will change the weapon loadouts of different classes.

Go to line 4005. Every following line that has a WeaponClasses=( line can be changed. To add a loadout, simply add ,LoadoutWeapons_XXXX in between the brackets. Replace the XXXX with a weapon type, such as AutoPistols or HeavyPistols

Changing the level cap

Go to line 4239 and change the MaxPlayerLevel= value to a desired value. Then change the MaxPlayerExperience= value to a desired value as well.

Recompiling the Coalesced.ini

If you don't do this, your game will not load. Simply run ME2IniFixer in the same directory as your Coalesced.ini and it will patch it so any changes you made with Notepad++ will not crash the game upon load.

Not tested or does not work

Adding/Changing abilities - Not tested
    Adding Weapons - Not tested
    Adding NPC armor/clothing to apparel - Not working

In regards to adding NPC armor and clothing, it seems that the .pcc file that contains the NPC articles do not have the flags necessary for ME2 to understand that you want to wear what the NPCs wear. Until we find a way to pack and unpack .pcc files, it might not be possible to add NPC apparel at all. This really sucks for those of us who want to see femShep in an exotic dancer outfit like the ones seen in Omega :nerd:

On a side note, I believe it may be possible to add mods without having to edit the Coalesced.ini file by way of plugging them in your DLC/CookedPC folder. Though the same issue is presented as adding NPC apparel that without the ability to pack and unpack .pcc files, it may be difficult if not impossible to mod using this method.

Contributions are more than welcome! We need to find a way to unpack those .pcc files! :banana:

Related threads
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13329058#post13329058
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/889432/1

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Some great stuff there.

3. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    You would probable have to create new meshes, a lot of the clothing like the exotic dancer outfit are actually modeled as part of the npc's body, likely to save memory and performance. You can see the clothing's texture compression artifacts on the skin of the Asari... some really terrible work but they probably had to to keep frame rates on the 360. But definitely sheperd's armor could be doable on some NPCs, I think Asari and Humans share the same skeleton armature, would have to extract the models to see.

Amazing how fast people are dissecting the game.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Actually it's not. All outfits lack a head regardless if it's a player outfit or NPC outfit.

5. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    Alright, but proper matching of body and head is going to be an issue. For instance Jacks outfit is made exclusive for her, putting a Shepard head is not going to match up.

6. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    All human male meshes work with all human male heads, same with human females, Quarians, Asari, and so on. As a matter of fact, the scales of human female body meshes are 100% identical. A lot of femShep's casual apparel are used on Asari and Human female NPCs.

7. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    Ah, alright then.

8. DeadlyDevil666

DeadlyDevil666 Member Guru

GPU:
    9800 GTX / Palit / 512mb
    thanks alot man, can't wait to get started. :D

9. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    what is gained by changing the maxplayerlevel and experience?just want to know before I tweak it. thanks.

10. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    It's actually the other way round.

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You can max out all Shep's skills instead of just 3 :nerd:

12. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    thanks for the answer.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    A few guys and myself are figuring out more about how the flags work. There's nothing solid about a permanent solution, but we did find out that with certain key flags enabled, we can temporarily wear NPC apparel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Delta6326

Delta6326 New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 4850 1gb
    this is great! i changed it so i got 9500xp for giving the cook some food :). is there a way to change your current credits amount or resources? because im like 14 hours into the game and have no money. also anyone know how to change your shields or make AI do less damage? some reason the AI can 3 shot kill me

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Yeah, you need to use a save game editor.

http://rapidshare.com/files/346040739/Gibbed_Mass_Effect_2_Save_Edit.rar.html

On a side note, we found that using the Unreal Package Extractor will allow us to extract a .pcc file into the appropriate file formats, ripe for editing. All we need now is to find out how to recompile the extracted folders back into a .pcc and we should be good to go!

http://www.gildor.org/downloads

16. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    Lavans

Do you know of a way to disable the Vignette (the gradual darkening effect) around the edge of the screen? I haven't been able to find anything related in the Coalesced.ini .

Thats good news, I just need to research how easy it is to import and export stuff from blender to U3 so I can edit and make new clothing.

17. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
  18. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    You can get it http://www.annakie.com/me/mods.htm also has a nice guide on how to use some of the features.

19. Templ

Templ Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF GTX 970 Gaming
    Thanks very much for the info, m8. Very helpful.

You made one mistake here, though:

Should be "Female="BIOG_HMF_ARM_MED_R.MEDc.HMF_ARM_MEDc_MDL" and not "Female="BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.MEDc_MDL".

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Whoops! Dunno how that one slipped passed me. Thanks for letting me know ^_^