GUIDE: NVMe drivers - Which driver for which card?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by 386SX, Jul 31, 2018.

1. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    God damn it! Do you people have to kill every halfway useful thread with your whining? This thread is NOT about Win7 and Win10 and its differences, nor is it a whine-only thread, it's about nvme drivers.

@Astyanax did you even read what I posted before going full retard on the OFA driver? win-raid did mod their copy so it IS signed! I linked win-raid and its owner, @Fernando 1 already wrote it works! So whats up with your flaming?

AntiSnipe and AsiJu like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    1. a sha1 testkit created signature is not adequate for Secureboot as of 1607, requiring that all catalogs and binaries be signed on the dev portal and requires
    2. all newer drivers to be sha256 as of the end of Jan 2020.

Whilst windows can still load sha1 counter signed binaries prior to july 2015, the signature created by makecert is single origin unlike the signatures bought by vendors in the past and only functional on windows 7 and 8 when the makecert signature is imported
    • Drivers signed with an end-entity certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 that chains to a supported cross-signed CA will continue to be allowed.
    • To prevent systems from failing to boot properly, boot drivers will not be blocked, but they will be removed by the Program Compatibility Assistant. Future versions of Windows will block boot drivers.

The catalog is signed using the WinRaid certificate, sha256 but not from the Dev portal.
    And the Binary is signed using the WDK makecert and signtools, which is sha1 only.

Then you shouldn't whinge about 7 earlier in the thread, no?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    There are always people who decide to focus on some technicality or slightly incorrect wording or whateverthefock that has nothing to do with the practical topic yet seems to be of utmost importance for them.

In short: pay no attention.

A wise man (or perhaps woman?) once said that people who cannot handle big things compensate by focusing on minor things. Truer words have rarely been spoken.

PS: disclaimer: the above is not meant to be a personal jab at anyone in disguise. However if you took it as one, then perhaps consider why you feel it applies to you...
    with that I'll switch to lurking mode unless I have something meaningful to contribute to this thread.

386SX likes this.
  4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Astyanax
    for someone that seems to know a bit about OS (and stuff), yet unable to stop (auto) updates and install after they have been out (and working),
    or block win from (auto) updating drivers.

funny, cause i was able to do that, and so far no issues with the os messing with my drivers (NV, ASus/Uni), nor do i have to recover/remove updates,
    as i install about 3-4 weeks after release, with a recovery image done before.
    heck, i dont even need to use classic shell/as many tweak tools to make it look/feel like 7 with 1909.

and this comes from someone that hated 10, as i didnt like the idea of running an OS in the 21st century that looks like its 30y old (GUI),
    or talking about the fact that to run 3xxx ryzen you need 10/1909 to make everything work.
    and dont come up with the "i can make it run on 7", as its not something that +90% of win 10 would be able to do

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    @fry178 we mustn't discuss the stockholm simulator that is 10 in this thread, it triggers people.

6. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @Astyanax ... 'nuff said? ;)

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I missed that, but I still did a bit more homework than you on the Signing situation :D

Did you miss the saga when Creative updated the XFI drivers and they didn't work on many computers? That was due to using their own vendor certificate.

8. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    AsiJu likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The Samsung NVMe driver should be able to operate on basically all nvme's that adhere to the 1.0 and later spec, @AsiJu they should work for you too.
    They have experienced hibernate/s3 issues as a result of OS upgrades in the past, the Samsung 3.0 driver for instance had one when updating to 1809(i think it was), so it is often best to stick to the microsoft nvme driver directly following a Windows 10 service update till Samsung have either released an update, or theres been no spike in bsod reports for several weeks.

Some benchmarks from March 3rd here, https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/samsung-nvme-driver-3-3-benchmark.264428/

ryegrass, AsiJu and 386SX like this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Thanks for the heads up on that!

PS: I have all forum alerts off so I won't get an alert if you "at" me, just fyi.
    Do my best to check threads often.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Hey, questions about trying the Samsung driver:

I guess the correct device to replace the driver for is the storage control device (-> Intel 660p Series in my case) and not the actual drive itself in Device Manager?

Installation was described in the link, point manually to an .inf as I suspected.

Also which device should I pick from the list after pointing to the .inf? I'm assuming the driver set supports multiple Samsung devices.

12. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Yes, you would replace the NVMe Controller driver under Storage Controllers in device manager. Click Update Driver Software, Browse my computer for driver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, then have disk. Choose the location of your .inf file. then click OK.

Before you try the Samsung drivers, since you have an Intel drive, you might be interested in these Intel NVMe drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs

As always, be sure and have a image backup of your Windows installation to restore, if anything goes wrong.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.
  13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Can any one tell me the version number of the m$, according to device manager....under disk drives my Corsair mp600`s are using driver version 10.0.18362.1 and standard nvme controller version 10.0.18362.693, both drivers are from 2006

Attached Files:

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yeah, thats the drives driver, but your updating the storage controller, not the drive one.
    once u update the controller driver, it should show 3.3.0.2003 from jan 2020..

[​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Sooo... a hunt for nvme drivers led me here. Has anyone used a third party driver on an M.2 with a silicone motion chip? I just picked up the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro and noticed there wasn't a driver on their site.

Here are the current results using the driver thats part of windows 10.

Pretty decent for a 512gb drive.

[​IMG]

hmm.. the only update i've had on windows 10 that broke something was last year where most legacy sound cards stopped functioning. And i don't buy this "Even if you dont immediately notice it" comment. reminds me of someone saying "believe me! not your lying eyes". lol.

legacy sound devices that received a driver update like my X-Fi Titanium HD work perfectly now, and have been fine for almost a year.

What happened was Microsoft went and hardened the security certificates without letting anyone know ahead of time and it broke anyone running secureboot. then yeah, they messed up with the certificates on the updated drivers but eventually got around to fixing things. I'm still baffled that they took the time to update drivers for so many cards that were EOL for many years.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  17. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Andrew LB
    i got 2 Adata drives that i used with the samsung driver just fine, all other drivers from that site messed up my rig.
    and since i already had the driver installed for the 970 evo, i just tried them for the other controllers.

the S11Pro is only 256, and i reduced it to 200 as its a "trash" drive im using for dl/copying stuff around etc.
    and im running 2004, not sure if that impacted it.
    [Read]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 1626.909 MB/s [ 1551.5 IOPS]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 1532.560 MB/s [ 1461.6 IOPS]
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 723.656 MB/s [ 176673.8 IOPS]
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 64.423 MB/s [ 15728.3 IOPS]
    [Write]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 546.839 MB/s [ 521.5 IOPS]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 1024.799 MB/s [ 977.3 IOPS]
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 823.358 MB/s [ 201015.1 IOPS]
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 186.825 MB/s [ 45611.6 IOPS]

i do remember one drive taking a "hit" and the seq numbers dropped minimal,
    but basically all rnd numbers went up, so im using the samsung driver on all controllers/drives.