Guide: Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    At this point I´m just completely resigned that the cooler is either really really bad or my CPU is horny as f***.
    I tried mounting the cpu outside the case to be 100% sure the base is making contact and enough pressure, during the night (was chill idk probably 15°C max) even reseated the cooler twice with 2 different thermal pastes and changing the direction of the cooler / fans.

Both attemps gave me same results, the so called "safer" spring system is a joke, simply because the screw have a short threaded lenght and they will never go further down enough to make use of the spring system.

Basically i had to screw so tight (as i would be a mechanic) the base, in order to be sure have "less" space between the base and CPU and the screws would apply more pressure, nothing changed.

So I´m here with a glorified 1Kg of cooper / aluminium and stuck at 4.0Ghz because not even my CPU loves me and i got bad luck because simply will not reached 4.2Ghz unless tha auto system decide to throw 1.475V

YAY!!

2. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    HOLLY MOLLY, you are totally right 1.4V is TOOO much power.
    Was checking DRP4 Hilberts review and the dark rock (which is bigger and better than fuma) is getting 82°C with 1.4V.

Just to think I´m throwing more voltage at my cooler maybe the fuma is a real performer and im just not paying enough attention. Gonna back home and emulate the same test as hilbert, just to put an end to this dilema.

Or maybe I will just order another cooler.

3. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    don't forget to tell us how that goes.. stress test some times can do crazy things with our cpu's test it with games or your normal usage

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    After the desolate years, it's certainly nice to read a guide with plenty of AMD recommendations, not only Intel. Now if only AMD got its GPU side on a par with the CPU, and we would be talking again. Officials cracking the DRAM cartel would be the icing on the cake.

5. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    t
    Well I just reinstalled EVERYTHING from zero, new os, etc.
    Stock setting in BIOS
    Proceed to run wprime 1024 test. Hitting maximum 60°C
    Proceed to run aida stability test, max temps 60°C
    Both taken from latest HWinfo beta the option that says. CPU(Tcl/Tdie)

looks ok for me... now let make some OC.
    Do exactly as hilberts guide.
    -Type 41 in the CPU multiplier
    -Let core voltage as "auto"
    -exit bios and W7 starts perfectly (i forgot to mention im running w7 64bits)
    Run same tests
    Max temps 70°C.... wtf what is this magic. BTW when im not running the test hWinfo reports me higher vcore than when I´m runnig wprime 1024

Repeat all that stuff above reducing the voltage from 1.425V to 1.4125V and just that, do tno move anything else.
    This is a screen of my actual idle temps / vcore
    It´s runnint @ basically 1.41V
    And this is a screen running Wprime 1024

I´m still having problems, my fraking Hwinfo gives me BEX64 crash error once i change the font size, and my GPU (RX 580 nitro+) the RGB lighting is f-- up. All the red / yellow tones do not work anymore, just blue and blue-green hue. I´m 100% sure it is not phisycal dmg, because while windows update was doing his stuff my GPU started glowing like rainbow (that whole color shift style), once i restarted the PC the GPU just locked in blue-green hue. amd trixx does not solve anything. I tried even doing a bios flash to a different bios i downloaded but nothng happened, The GPU simply is "stuck" with the software configuration or missconfiguration or who the heck knows. At this point i cannot give more fs becasue i have 2 weeks troubleshooting all this mess and at least now the CPU APPARENTLY is working accordingly.

After 4-5 continued wprime 1024 runs the CPU never passes 63°C proof
    Now i just need to figure out why my pc constantly gives me BEX errors, why I´m missing icons, and why my RGB of my RK 580 nitro+ just went apes and the red-yellow hue is not working anymore.
    (sorry for all the bad writting is 5 am and is the 4th day in a row a just sleep 3 hours and have to wake up at 5 or 8 am to go to work while i have to return home everyday to find out what i screwed either software or hardware realted)

I just played like 20 mins of crysis 3 @1080p with all the eye candy and did not pass of 55°C, tomorrow i hope nothing breaks again and can test NFS to see how it performs because i was having 90°C playing that game.
    (BTW if someone knows a way to completely remove every damn possible "info" / "configuration" from a GPU would be welcome i suspect a driver or something software related is just messing up with the GPU and it just simply got stuck when I reinstalled w7 from scratch)

Edit: a wrong link

6. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Well done Hilbert

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks to our editor Raffaele, he wrote it ;)

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  9. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    is nice to know that you at least worked out the temp problem, jeje it seems you like perfect things, good luck with that RGB

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Way too much wattage for my taste (~600 watts on full system load...) and as things stand right now (as of today) I will be looking at the GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 for my upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I used to be concerned a bit too.
    But then there is this other thing. You build PC for $2000. Pay $60 for game which has anywhere between 12 and 120hours of content => average 72hours => $0.833/hour of gameplay . Then 5 years later, you build new one again => that's $400 for HW per year.
    So yearly cost of gaming assets for average gaming 2hours a day = $400 + $0.833 * 365 * 2 = $400 + $608 = $1008
    In that year you play 730hours. Power efficient GPU will eat like 80W less than one which is not power efficient which at wall results in around 95W. 730h * 0.095kW = 69.35kWh a year
    Here that difference in 69.35kWh saved means around $16 saved per year.

I think you save more by buying one game which you'll spend playing 200~300 hours a year. For me, total winners in terms of playtime per purchase price were:
    Killing Floor 1&2; Terraria; CS 1.6; Audiosurf; WH 40k: DoW II (complete); Payday 1/2
    Then I have like 20 games with gameplay under 40 hours and had AAA price. And like 200 games where gameplay ranged from few minutes to 4 hours and price wildly varied from few $ to few dozens.

If I had a lot of time, like 6 hours a day to play in average, and bought just few cheap games a year, it could look like:
    Cost per year of gaming assets = $400 + $75 (games) = $475
    Extra cost of low efficiency system = $48

Let's say you are that game wise cost efficient gamer. $475 a year for PC and games. 6h * 365 = 2190 hours played a year
    Power efficient PC eating 400W from wall under gaming load. And non-efficient variant 495W.
    Power efficient eats 2190h * 0.4kW = 876kWh => $202 cost of electricity
    Energy inefficient PC 2190h * 0.495kW = 1084kWh => $250 (notice already mentioned $48 difference)
    So total cost difference in percent is (475 + 250) / (475 + 202) = 725 / 677 = 1.071 => 7.1%
    You pay 7.1% more which is mentioned $48. Or paying around $0.022 more per each hour played. I do not think you should care that much.
    = = = =

Now I'll tell you something in contrast. I have PSU which misbehaves and eats over 50W when PC is off. So, let's say it is off 12hours a day. That's 4380h * 0.05kW = 219kWh a year => $50.5 wasted for nothing.
    So, I am flipping that PSU OFF every day till I confirm that it is not MB as it for some reason does not have EuP in BIOS menu anymore. (And Hilbert actually tested that board and measured sub 1W in OFF state. And same goes for his sample of PSU.)
    Wanna save on electricity? Maybe measure yearly power cost of your internet router, wifi, switches, NAS, ... My networking eats over 40W which again means additional costs while nobody uses it at night. There I could save like $30 a year if I turned it OFF every night.

So many opportunities to save on something you are not using. But saving on something I am using is not for me.

XenthorX, Kaarme and airbud7 like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dam you Fox^ ....took me 3 beers to read all that knowledge stuff...:p

Kaarme likes this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I never measured how much electricity my cable modem was eating while sitting idle, but I began to turn it off every night because I noticed it was really warm also in the morning, despite of no active use. Now I have everything behind hardware switches, PC and home theater systems. I'm not paying for standby/idle power consumption anymore.

Embra likes this.