Guide: Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Fall 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The leaves are getting brown and rusty, Welcome, all to the fall 2018 edition of Guru3D's PC Buyer's Guide. With the changing PC landscape, we've overhauled the buyers guide into five categories. S...

Guide: Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Fall 2018

2. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    It's Autumn not Fall. Pls abolish the nonsensical US terminology.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do mostly agree. 5-Stars. (Could not rate it.)

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Nonsensical? It's called "fall" because leaves fall. It's pretty straight-forward... Meanwhile, without looking it up, do you know what autumn means? Because its meaning isn't quite as ubiquitous.

There are plenty of valid reasons to want to "abolish" it (and even then that's a bit excessive of a motive) but to say nonsensical is not one of them.

Brasky likes this.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I do know what Autumn means and where the word is coming from but this is not the place to talk about it.
    By the same logic Spring must be called Rise.
    This is a European website and as such we use English UK.
    Now let's enjoy this guide.

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Thanks for the guide HH.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    And yet, here you are, continuing to rant. How about next time say something constructive?
    Do you not know what the word "spring" means? Because its definition is pretty close to "rise", and the season was called spring because of how plants would "spring from the ground". So yes, it is actually using similar logic.
    Countries outside of [former] British territories are well known to stick to one dialect of English vs another, and many European countries switch between various different ones. Why is that a problem? There is no enforced standard. We're on the internet and this is an internationally viewed website (which includes a decent population of people from Asia and the Americas, of which tend to lean toward NA English). So, take your nationalism elsewhere.
    Seeing as you completely ignored the guide the first time around and jumped straight to criticizing something that seriously doesn't matter at all, you are not in a position to make such a suggestion.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    tunejunky likes this.
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alright, guys let's please shift the discussion towards the actual content. Thanks.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I always use En-US keyboard settings and language preference. I have allergy on En-UK keyboard. And standard Czech keyboard with special Czech keys is always combination of Base En-US and Additional Czech characters.

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    What is Vega even doing there? It's not like you can buy it anywhere? They're all out of stock and/or overpriced (1080 Ti prices) in my country.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    How many of Vega 64 do you want? I can buy them for you and sell with 10% price premium. They are cheaper here than GTX 1080.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    great job writing this guide for newbies (or people with old processors).

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Great job boss, thanks a lot :´D

14. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    My only gripe with the 8700k is it not being soldered. I had to debin mine to get 20 deg shaved off of it, which is a big deal. Had I known, I would have waited for the 9700k

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Holy crap triple fan AIO for 8700k, how much heat does this baby generate? Been on double fan H100i for my 5820K for a couple years now and it's been more than enough for me oO

16. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    It's really painful to read a guide today and still see GTX 10xx series as recommended. Damn them prices.

Corrupt^ likes this.
  17. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    I´m quite puzzled by the fact HH recommended the Freezer 33 or Gammax 400, and I´m wondering how worser / better a Sctyhe Fuma is compared the both before.

I´m running a 2600 at 4.0Ghz and that thing outputs so much damn heat that even the scythe fuma (which i read so many good reviews) performs so underwhelming, I´m alwyas runnign at 75-90°C running stress tests.

Even gaming NFS Payback with all the eye candy 1440p after 2 hours hte cpu reaches 90°C with 1.425v.

In one hand i have a cooler which perform way below every damn review on the internet (except el chapuzas where i found a cryorig H5 having 85° C under stress and apparently the H5 is at same or better level than Fuma) and in the other hand a CPU that cannot achieve more than 4.0 Ghz without 1.47V using just auto and LLC auto which send the voltage to the sky.

18. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Well, the Sctyhe Fuma is certainly not a 27 USD heatsink, is your ambient temperature very hot? maybe you should try a new thermal compound or a liquid cooler, your voltage is pretty high

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Pretty cool guide Boss , great choices.

20. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    "SLI can result in stuttery gameplay, due to poor dual GPU implementation and bad frame times"

I have had 2 x evga FTW 1070's in SLI for like 18 months and have never not to my eyes seen this at 4k and 2560. When people mention this point I always say not me ever, seriously never

I do mention 2560 because I play witcher 3 with everything turned on to max all my other games at 4k