[GUIDE] Fixing video playback & overclocking problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by k1net1cs, Mar 7, 2012.

1. leucos

leucos Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5650m 650/900
    Hello, just a quick post to report that I probably found the cause of my BSODs: it was the ALPS Touchpad Driver 8.101 (for Windows 8 only). I didn't get any other bugchecks after I've uninstalled said driver and also found out that a previous version 8.100 works fine, you can find it here: http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/10569-windows-8-alps-touchpad-driver.html (I've installed the fujitsu one).
    Two other things I've discovered:
    1. immersive (metro) apps seemingly don't use DXVA.
    2. if you install the Windows 8 Hyper-V client component DXVA is broken everywhere (WMP, MPC, flash, etc.); I don't know why..
    I won't try the new beta driver, for now everything works fine for me with 13.1 + 11.12.

2. Kyon

Kyon New Member

GPU:
    HD5470M 895/890Mhz
    i just tried instal 13.4 and then aplied this fix.. but i still got the black screen again plus force closed. just tried using 11.11 and 11.12 files.
    and when i am back to 13.1, this fix still broken.
    someone please help me....

3. leucos

leucos Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5650m 650/900
    Please try the following steps. This is how I install the video fix, I'll try to be detailed in order to leave out any misunderstandings.

What's needed (for 64bit)

• AMD Catalyst Mobility 13.4 x64 (12.104) [whql] from here
    • ATI Catalyst Mobility 11.12 x64 (8.920) [whql] from here
    Preparations

1. Launch the Catalyst 13.4 install package and click Install to extract the files. Press Cancel in the installer window to cancel the installation.
    2. Launch the Catalyst 11.12 install package and lnstall to extract the files. Again, press Cancel in the installer window to cancel the installation.
    3. Open the folder where you've extracted the Catalyst 11.12 installation files (default C:\ATI\Support\11-12_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl ).
    4. Browse to this folder: Packages\Driver\W76A_INF\B######. The # is a number depending on the driver version used.
    5. Locate these files and copy them: atiumd6a.ca_ , atiumd6a.dl_ , atiumdva.ca_ , atiumdva.dl_
    6. Browse to the Catalyst 13.4 installation folder (default: C:\AMD\Support\13-4_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql).
    7. Browse to: Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF\B######.
    8. Paste and replace the four files.
    Installation

1. [Optional] Create a System Restore Point
    2. Return to the Catalyst 13.4 installation folder and run Setup.exe.
    3. During the installation of the driver Windows will complain that you are trying to install an unsigned driver, choose Install this driver software anyway.
    4. Complete the installation and try playing a video file.
    5. Delete the folder where you have extracted the installation files (default: C:\AMD\ )
    If something goes wrong
    Please verify the following:

1. Open Device Manager
    2. Open the Properties window of the video card
    3. Select the Driver tab and click on Driver details
    4. Scroll down to check if the four files you have replaced are digitally signed.
    5. If yes then the installation of the modified driver failed for some reason. Try to uninstall the driver and repeat the procedure, after that, if there is again the same problem, please contact me with a PM or, I guess, a post here should be fine too.
    6. If no, then I don't know. You may try replacing the four files from a different catalyst version, like 11.9.
    Known issues
    Some video options (denoise, sharpening, etc.) are missing. Use 13.1 if you want them back.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  4. darxider

darxider Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6630m
    after a long time of using 11.9, i decided to give the newest drivers as of today (13.5 mobility beta 3) a try.

i cleanly uninstalled the previous Intel/AMD hybrid drivers until there was absolutely no trace of any previous drivers left. then to get a working switchable base, i installed SONY's hybrid GPU drivers (released on Sept 23, 2011, a mix of Catalyst 11.6 and Catalyst 11.8 with an old Intel driver) but excluded the CCC. after a reboot, i installed Catalyst 13.5 mobility beta 3 on top of SONY drivers. as it turned out, i had to uninstall the Windows update KB2670838 as it was constantly causing BSoD upon reboots or graphics switches. surprisingly, my video playback is working perfectly fine without me needing to replace any driver files! i can watch YouTube (and other flash) videos and local video playback is working as well. i also enabled overvolt functionality by installing MSI Afterburner, running it with the switch /xcl, rebooting, and uninstalling MSI Afterburner afterwards. now everything is stable and working.

Last edited: May 19, 2013

5. Mohanshbhr

Mohanshbhr New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5470
    hi long time,, again the same no video issue with windows 8.1 and this time i cant make it work with ATI Catalyst Mobility 11.12 ,, after installing ATI Catalyst Mobility 11.12 all video apps vlc, wmp, metro video player crashes and also ati manager crashes at windows bootup,,, i tried with compatibility mod and also installing with .inf file but no luck,, in short ATI Catalyst Mobility 11.12 is not wrking with windows 8.1 at all ,, what to do now???

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    For a no video workaround, use a video player that enables you to switch to custom renderers like MPC-HC.
    I think VLC has the option too but I'm not sure.
    Get madVR, and use that as a renderer instead of EVR.

7. lildadou

lildadou New Member

GPU:
    HD5650 Mobility
    Works like a charm on my Sony Vaio Serie E VPCEB1M1E (HD5650) with Catalyst 13.9

Thank you, thank you, thank you

8. djsubtronic

djsubtronic New Member

GPU:
    6630M
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been using this fix for a while since I did a clean install of Windows 8, video playback failed to work even using the legit driver package from the Vaio site (I have a Vaio laptop). The fix worked wonderfully.

However, I have just updated my driver to 13.11 beta 9.4. These new drivers have support for the 5xxx and 6xxx series of AMD cards, as well as those in hybrid configurations, and on updating I can confirm everything works, including switchable graphics.

However, these files don't work anymore :( The video player simply crashes when trying to play a video. And without these files, it behaves the same as it did on older drivers, ie video just refuses to play (although players don't crash).

Is there any other way to go around this? Perhaps more recent versions of the atiumd* files which are compatible with the 13.11 drivers?

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anything newer won't work since it's a permanent change from 12.1 onwards.
    I've tried.

Besides, one of the reason those 'fixes' crashing out media players is because in Win8 the driver model is just that different from Win7.
    Since there's no 11.12 or anything older available for Win8, well, there you go.

The best you can do is to find media players that supports custom renderer.
    Now I just use MPC-HC with madVR.
    As for Flash videos, I just set it to not use hardware acceleration.

Lesser hassle, and I've come to terms with the fact that legacy support with AMD is nothing to write home about, especially if you don't want to write anything bad about it.

10. walczyk

walczyk New Member

GPU:
    Asus ATI R9270
    First I wanted to say thank you, this has been driving me crazy. I read it was something HDCP related. Second, I couldn't copy over the old dlls so I was going to restart in safe mode, but I checked the flash video and now the problem is gone! So I'm wiping my hands of it and I'm happy it works.

11. dimzon541

dimzon541 New Member

GPU:
    many (6 different PCs)
    Works fine with fresh drivers (14.12 instead of 13.4) on VPCEB2M1R

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I can also confirm the workaround still works fine on 14.12 Omega.
    As per my first post, I still use the same laptop.
    Just remember to use files from either 11.11c or 11.12.

13. VaioHackwithAxe

VaioHackwithAxe New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5650 M
    Same laptop as you and this works on Windows 10 TP, but there is lag in flash video. When I pause the vid and restart, the lag disappears. Very irritating.

14. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    There is an easier way of doing the Sony green screen fix.

The UnifL Tools package has the Sony VAIO playback fix which can be applied onto any drivers after install without having to do it manually.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Haven't tested any UnifL package because this specific model of VAIO doesn't use Intel HD Graphics even when the CPU has it.

Is the tool included in the driver package or is it available separately?
    Because frankly I don't want to download the whole package just to use the tool.

16. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Driver package. We haven't really considered that people with no Intel have issues with media playback on Sony VAIOs .. or at least we didn't realize.

Will up it separately within 24 hours.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I initially didn't even realize the CPU supports Intel HD Graphics back then.

There's nothing on Windows, there's no (h/w or s/w) switch for 'Stamina' and 'Speed' like with other VAIOs, and there's nothing on BIOS.
    Sony completely skipped it for whatever reason.

If that is at all possible it'll be greatly appreciated.

18. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Sometimes they block Intel ; ). As you can see I am crying my heart out for all AMD Mobility 5xxx users with Intel first gen because the latest AMD drivers simply cause the OS to not boot. :cry: :banana: But I like voicing the concerns of PXAI laptop folk ;)

Thank you for checking out the Sony patch in private before I am posting these separate UnifL Sony tools!!!!

The Fix is officially derived from Sony but the UnifL tools can deploy it via request automatically into the system. It is also not based on the same method as described in this thread.

A second fix is also included for crashes that were experienced on PXAI devices. However it might also work for single GPU Sony VAIOs.

https://mega.co.nz/#!RRcwgIjZ!EtfEiL8LLv8Syr_euqO4nHUq-LKol1ie5KOgOHgoyec

Notes:
    Code:
    -----------------------------
    > Sony_UnifL_issue_resolver <

Release Notes:

Seperate UnifL Tools release for Sony VAIO laptops suffering from video playback issues.

Can also be applied on single GPU systems.

Thanks for testing k1net1cs!!!!!!

Sony fixes included:
    [S]ony VAIO Hybrid Patch (For Video Playback)

Official Description:
    AMD MRHD Graphics driver patch which will allow movie
    playback on hybrid AMD Sony VAIO computers
    (That means that you can use your AMD GPU w/o Green Screen).

This patch came directly from SONY Dungeons :)
    Big thanks to "Tommy King" who kindly provided a link to it.

Original Link:
    "http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VPCCA190X&upd_id=8198&os_grou
    p_id=24"
    S[O]ny VAIO Crash Patch

Sony VAIO Crash patch.

This patch should resolve issue when Using Intel HD3000 the
    browser crashes with atiuxpag.dll error every 7-10 webpages.

Original Link:
    "http://community.sony.com/t5/Windows-8/VPCSA21GX-How-to-install-Windows-8/m-p/4
    2129"

Thanks to Davide Bergamini for pointing this out.

------------------------------

19. leucos

leucos Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5650m 650/900
    It seems there are some news!
    May I participate in the tests of this fix?

Also, almost coincidentally, I made some discoveries regarding the Windows 10 Technical Preview: the 32bit version of the driver automatically downloaded from Windows Update works properly (video playback on EVR works). Today I have installed the 64bit version of the Windows Technical Preview in order to test it, but unfortunately the bug is still there.
    Why I tested 32bit instead of going directly for 64bit? The 32bit installation was originally a VM that I tried to convert using VHD boot.

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It seems that it's a bit parallel with what I just experienced in Win7 x64.

I was trying to 'rekindle my interest' using 64-bit browsers again (like Pale Moon x64 and Waterfox), and the hardware-accelerated Flash bug still persists; green video with random repeating static pattern.
    So the 'fix' works fine on 32-bit browsers (which uses 32-bit Flash plug-in), but not with 64-bit browsers, because that uses 64-bit Flash plug-in.

Also, the EVR (and Custom EVR on MPC-HC) were 'fixed' because they're basically 32-bit renderer.
    I haven't tested 64-bit MPC-HC because there's no 64-bit madVR yet AFAIK.

[edit]

HOLD ON.
    Did the forum experience some kind of a rollback or something?
    I remember me and Mike had some replies posted after he posted that link to the fix.

[/edit]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015