1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    its still pretty accurate, although for SSD yea AHCI is the only option imo.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Same process as when you go from IDE to AHCI.

3. shadzovgra

shadzovgra Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 295x2 8Gb
    I purchased a Corsair Force 3 240Gb SSD, which I had set up as IDE in BIOS, when I read about how Corsair recommends using AHCI mode, I made the change in the Registry, rebooted and then made the changes in BIOS. The immediate speed increase was indeed noticeable, but then I had to reinstall the OS two days later because Win 7 refused to boot, even after using it's start up repair tool. So I reinstalled the system in AHCI mode again, only to have the problem happen again a few days later. As a result, I'll never use AHCI mode again.

4. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB

5. V@no

V@no New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 580GTX 1500MB
    Thank you very much for this trick! In my case no reboot was required after windows installed driver.
    W7 WEI score for hard drive improved from 6.9 to 7.5, which is now the fastest part of WEI score...

6. mykledw

mykledw Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Just a side note..................

I was reading my manual and If I want to ACHI my HDD need to be in SATA slot 5&6 not 1&2 so read your manual......................just my 2 cents.....

Gonna try it now....

7. BrittanysPal

BrittanysPal New Member

GPU:
    Crucial 4GB 1066
    Gee, works like a champ. I was stymied. So Happy Now.

I did the regedit exactly as proposed and did the reboot. Even though a Crucial M4 128GB SSD is fast the difference in ACHI vs IDE is measurable, at least in my initial experience. My first Windows 7 Installation. (done twice of course.)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
    And thank you very much!

8. mito

mito Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac gtx 280 SLI
    Greetings.

I have an nforce 790i motherboard and a Crucial m4 64gb.

Will it make a difference if I change the nvdia SATA driver to windows's IDE standard controller right after I install Windows 7?

I'm looking forward to enabling TRIM.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im think about getting coarsiar Force 3 180gb to use and my main drive.

If i do this registry edit now but leave bios as ide I till all still be fine?

And is there anything I should get or installed once I get around to the SSD drive and copy my OS over to it?

10. areamike

areamike New Member

GPU:
    Corsaire 2x4GB DDR3
    After changing from IDE mode to AHCI mode in BIOS. My OCZ Solid 3 120GB Drive went from

420/375 Read/Writes to 510/475 MB

My standard/mechanical Sata drive went from
    65/45 to 88/85

Using ATTO Drive benchmark

11. zxcvb531

zxcvb531 New Member

GPU:
    intel
    thanks for this helpful solutions, It works on Dell laptop E6420, now I can change all my laptops now to ahci

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I now know why my index scoreis 5.9. Because my ssd is in ide mod. I changed bios but when windows starts it gives bsod and pc restarts.

So this will fix my issue? Thank u!

Edit: hahaha it works. Thank you!!!!!

Edit2: but now all drives including ssd says ata drive in device manager and there is an usb icon on taskbar and there option to remove all hard drives from there. Wtf? These r not usb hard disks. Y it act that way? Fck:(

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Can you active AHCI before installing the OS onto a new SSD?

I was going to purchase a Samsung 830 128gb with the Newegg deal for $89 but they sold out. Should have done it earlier this afternoon.

I will now probably get the Intel 520, which is $120 after rebate and 8gb smaller. It has a better warranty though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes just enable it in the BIOS.

I bought the Intel 520 because of the 5yr warranty.

15. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Yeah, Newegg sold out on the 128gb 830, but today's deal is the 256gb version for $200. I was going to cancel my order, but decided not to. 120gb will be large enough and force me to keep things off the computer that I don't use. The only games I play right now are DayZ and BF3, and I am up to about 70gb right now. Only 50gb more, but oh well. I don't even have SATA 3 on my mobo so I will wait until the next PC to get lots of SSD space. I'm sure it will be cheaper by then. Intel seems to be about $1 per gb up to about 120gb...After that it gets a little more expensive.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have a 60GB Intel SSD used only for my OS and installed software, right now it has about 40GB free space.

17. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I'll have to check again, but how big is the Win7 64 installation? I seem to recall the specs being 15gb or so, but my Windows folder was like 30gb.

18. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Ok, so I can set the SATA mode to AHCI, do I need to set the JMB363 mode and the JMB362 mode to AHCI? IDE + AHCI?

I have an evga X58.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It can be 30GB but disabling hibernation, system restore and/or pagefile cuts it down to under 15GB.

Set at least the system drive to AHCI before installing Windows, the other drives can have AHCI enabled after installation but there is no reason not to switch them all over to AHCI at the same time.

I'm just pointing out that you can do it this way if need be (like sometimes SATA optical drives need to be in IDE mode to load Windows).

The absolute easiest way to load the OS is from a bootable USB though.

20. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I have my OS installed on the new SSD. I enabled AHCI before installing and everything went fine. I did not format my old HDD that I was using for my OS. I wanted to leave it until I have everything updated and installed on this new one so I could play BF3 tonight.

I rebooted the computer and changed the boot order so the SSD was last (I have three HDDs in the computer but only one of them has an OS). I figured the computer would be able to load the OS using process of elimination. Does switching to the AHCI mode affect the old OS HDD in a negative way?

It would not boot. I was getting a hard disk error or BSOD.

I changed back to the Intel drive and tried to boot--same thing was happening. I thought maybe this new SSD already died. Everything in the boot sequence was set for "removable" and the CD drive was #2. I changed the sequence to #1 hard disk, #2 CD, and left the rest "removable". The computer would not boot in any way in this configuration.

Only when I removed the hard disk from the boot sequence and left CD as the only choice other than the removables, would the computer boot the SSD.

Does the BIOS view the SSD as a hard disk?

Does my old HDD Win7 installation not boot because I changed the SATA port it was using?