1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2010.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    have you checked the Serial Ata Function ? it says raid now, i think you can choose AHCI there. or in the IDE Function menu at the top.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    See my next post.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's an nForce 3 which I'm pretty certain doesn't support AHCI, but your benchmark results look fine.

You don't have to defend your system either. That board was one of the best nForce 3/4 boards available and highly sought after.

I had the
    K8NSNXP-Ultra 939, GA's flagship model which is the next one up from yours. (Yes Guys, it's true - I have actually owned 1 or 2 Gigabyte boards :p)

IIRC the only real difference was that mine supported SLI whereas yours doesn't.

All nF4 drivers will work on nF3 boards btw, as nvidia never released a proper nF3 driver pack. Check out Fernando's optimized driver packs at NFHQ for best performance.

Also, the options in your bios like serial/parallel port config, and LAN boot can be disabled to save resources...

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I was messing around in the bios today when I noticed I was running my SSD in IDE mode, I couldn't believe it, I was sure I switched to AHCI. I decided to correct my error properly and format, which turned out to be a very good idea. My WEI went from 7.3 to 7.8 and it's faster overall according to HD Tune. I was also having problems with BC2 but now I get 100 - 150 FPS with high settings.

5. plodge85

plodge85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    thanks for the advice!

6. Infiniti3D

Infiniti3D Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 Ultra H²0
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Put in a Revodrive yesterday, after several BSOD's i flashed my BIOS and got it working properly.
    Also i apply'ed the general SSD tweaks an recieved better results than in Hilbert's review. AHCI or not this thing is blazing fast :banana:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. The Ninja Kid

The Ninja Kid Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 3GB
    got a few questions about ssd.
    I have a 60gb vertex 2 and have just done all that enable ahci and it took my windows score for hdd from 7.3 to 7.7 so its now the second highest rank instead of lowest in my windows score. but my boot times into windows have doubled? once in windows it seems quicker, but booting is just horrendously slow when it wasn't before?

also im not sure what driver im meant to run for ahci? i have an asus gene 111 and haven't specifically installed any, or is part of the chipset drivers? sorry im really new to SSD and just want to make sure im getting the most out of my money.

8. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    You are using generic Win7 AHCI driver. You can install Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6.0.1014 and Intel INF Update 9.1.1.1025 to have newest Intel drivers for your chipset.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    You should be able to disable NCQ from within device manager. (right click on your drive(s), go to properties, and its in there iirc).

10. The Ninja Kid

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 3GB

11. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    It will give you proper driver for your chipset to enable all AHCI features. As for boot speeds goes, I don't know - never tested Intel vs. generic driver. One of the things that will slow your boot time at the hardware discovery time is that AHCI requires additional controller rom to be loaded at the motherboard boot, which will then discover hdd/odds. You can't speed that part.
    But the process of loading Windows shouldn't be any slower than normal.

12. The Ninja Kid

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 3GB
    okay cool.

I sorted out my stupidly long boot times. i unplugged one of my 3x1TB usb drives (the only one connected to a usb 2.0 port instead of usb 3.0, which i understand the drives are only 2.0) and this seems to have solved the issue, as it seems the usb 3.0 ports on my board aren't active until your in windows or something? but all the same now swapping that one drive over to e-SATA and installing those Intel AHCI drivers my boot times have sped up and Windows seems a load more snappy. i cant comment on how it is in games as i don't play many anymore i use this PC more for Graphic design work and photo editing.

My next question though is how does AHCI work with RAID? as soon i will be adding a second Vertex 2 drive?

13. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
  14. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    just tried this and had some bad performance tests. then i noticed that when you use this method to switch over from ide to AHCI your using the Microsoft default drivers.. So i installed my chip set driver (manually) (ICH19R AHCI Controller) and now i see a complete difference if performance.! Great tip.!
    Basically when you use this reg hack to run AHCI mode you gotto update the ide ata/atapi controller driver.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ^ That's what I mentioned in this thread, all the way back in April. :)

16. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    That screenshot showing the Ultra 320 SCSI hard drive at the top drives for comparison me nuts... I never got my drive to go that fast, and I had that setup:
    -Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive (15K RPM too)
    -LSI Logic host card (PCI-x in a full PCI-x slot at 133MHz) sporting U320

My eSATA hard drive blew the doors off that thing, and I finally uninstalled it (it was fast, but it added like fifteen seconds to boot time and was noisy). Good to know about those drive options if I get a SSD someday.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Followed the hack to the letter and PC failed to load windows. Regedit hack done, restart. Bios changed to AHCI mode and then no Windows load after post screen.

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Weird, I've done it on 3 PC's with no problems, does it boot if you change it back in the biso again?

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Sorted now, took some advice on OCZ forum. Cheers :D

20. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Needed a confirmation. Does enabling AHCI mode on normal hard drives has any positive effect at all. I have a WD Caviar Black 500GB (32M cache), and I feel it becomes a bit unresponsive when I enable AHCI mode. Didn't notice anything unusual though on my IDE mode. Here's my screenshot of HDTune bench:

[​IMG]