Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Darkest, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
  3. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    The only movie i'm looking forward to this year is Northern Soul. Just to relive my youth again.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'd watch Howard the Duck over this movie any day of the week.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Did you see a few weeks ago about the photo of Steven Spielberg on the set of the original Jurassic Park, posing as if he hunted and killed the dinosaur? Some people got very upset that he killed an animal, especially one so endangered.

True story.

Some idiots will believe anything, it's actually considerably more common than you think, across just about any topic. It's a movie FFS ;) like every other movie out there it's for entertainment. Even those 'genuine' based on a true story, or ' true story' movies (some are just fiction saying they're true to attract a certain audience) embellish the truth for entertainment sake. I think as soon as people think a sci-fi movie is unrealistic are missing the 'fi' part. It's fiction, and it's a genre that isn't just about something that follows people in situations that could happen, in that it's just the characters and scenario that's fiction, it's the whole universe in which the characters reside that is fiction.

In other words, it's 'fun', as soon as you try to analyse it in the way of saying, ' well that's unrealistic' you miss the whole point of the sci-fi genre.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I don't necessarily disagree with you but, surely the feasibility of the mechanics of a plot are important if it's not a character story.

If it's about characters, then w/e, but if it's all about a thing or a place, then this must have credibility - even in a sci-fi futuristic genre.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're spot on to be honest, it's unbelievable some of the outright nonsense people will wholeheartedly believe.. Trying to take a movie like this (or many others) down to its base components as though there's some critical real-to-life fact worth finding utterly defeats the purpose.

There's a difference between credibility and plausibility. The movie had a credible plot, it made sense and wasn't difficult to follow. Was it plausible? Not really, no -- that's where the suspension of belief that was mentioned comes into play. Could it have been better? Sure, but anyone going to see a movie like this while expecting the next Citizen Kane has ridiculous expectations and should discounted entirely.

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    It is not a clever movie by any extent. But it's graphically pretty, Chris Pratt is sexy, and groot is relatable somehow. My GF even cried when he died and she was gleeful when he was seen dancing at the end.

Overall I liked it, though I feel the last boss was overly hyped without delivering a decent final battle.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I suspect we'll see a more interesting antagonist in the next movie, possibly in the form of Thanos. The first one felt very much like an introduction to the world and main characters more than anything.

10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Isn't Thanos invincible?

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm not super clued up on the lore as far as the Comics go, but he's been pegged as an antagonist in one of the upcoming Marvel movies by Kevin Feige. I'm not sure how they would work it really, but I'd like to see him appear in one of the big up coming movies as a real antagonist, rather than just a cameo.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Isn't he already billed to be the big bad in the Third Avengers movie? At least that seems to be the main consensus. GOG is so far the only movie in the MCU to actually call them 'infinity gems' and it's the only movie that has hinted at the fact that Thanos wants them. So far we've seen 3 of the gems, possibly four if Loki's staff turns out to include one so that leaves four or so phase 3 movies in which to put the last two gems on screen as well as lay the foundations for how Thanos is going to get them.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's what I hear, but if I remember correctly the last 'major' comic plotline which featured Thanos in such a way required The Avengers and The Guardians of the Galaxy to defeat him. Which makes me wonder if there will be a crossover in the future to some degree?