Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Darkest, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I went out tonight with family and had an absolute blast, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I wouldn't say it was award worthy in regard to the plot, but I loved the many references to times gone past. Some of the special effects were just gorgeous also, the planet view near the start was stunning. Not only that but there were some genuine laugh out loud moments, and that's becoming increasingly rare in films I feel. I'd personally give it an 8/10 and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel, and highly recommend it.

Anyone else seen it yet, and if so what did you think?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    I'm planning on going to see it this weekend, i hear good things though, thanks for the review.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    More an opinion than anything, I didn't feel confident enough to post something spoiler free in the form of a review. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it, it's just outright fun to watch.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good film.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yup saw it the other day and loved it, easily the best of the 2nd phase MCU movies and can't wait to see how they spin the GOG in to the lead up to the third Avengers movie.

Stand out, Rocket Racoon worked, yeah when I first heard about GOG and the character line up I was just couldn't see how the character would work, that in a universe of super heros he would just be too... 'daft' but nope it worked, I dunno how but it just did, oh and Bautista was really stand out.

Anyone stay till the after credit scene? Is that Marvel hinting at a certain character maybe getting another updated movie?

6. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Well, certainly a lot of money went into this movie, there is always something to look at but the story is weak (another shiny thing which tons of power - yawn) and the main character and enemy were quite weak personalities, lacked charisma. That blue lady had a lot better charisma than the main enemy.

The jokes were mostly MIA as well. So yawn again. 4/10

7. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    ya movie was so so....alot of jokes i felt were directed toward 16 year olds, most of the jokes felt forced on you..lacked a good story and the acting was not the greatest either.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A large portion of the jokes, teenagers wouldn't even get. There was a healthy mixture in there in my opinion.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Some people sound like actual real film critics on here. I typically find movies that film critics find engaging and brilliant and get exceptionally high ratings by them as slow and boring. A movie like this isn't meant to be a purely character driven drama, it's meant to be a bit of fun and escape from reality, and in that sense I think they did quite well.

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I totally agree. There's an odd sentiment of late that every movie has to be some sort of art house masterpiece.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You have to realize that GotG isn't one of Marvel's most popular comic series. I was actually surprised they decided to make this when there were others that are far more valuable. On that note, I thought it was really good and can't wait for the next one

12. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I liked it a lot, specially the music :D
    it was a FUN movie.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Well, they're not making these movies specifically for those that are in to the comics. Most people who go see this movie probably wouldn't even realise that it is based on comic, or that it's part of the Marvel Universe. Even if they did, they wouldn't care! I'm one of the latter :).

People who watch the movies though will want some consistency, so they can be assured if they replace Thor with a women in the movies or Captain America with a black guy, all in the name of trying to be politically correct, then a great number of people wouldn't watch it. What's next, replacing Wonder Woman with a guy? That would be no different than replacing Thor with a girl. I know this isn't the case, but realistically if I were black I would actually be more offended by them making Captain America Black out of political correctness rather than having a black character in the comics who's popular on its own merits. To put this into perspective... a white Shaft in a sequel anyone? Political correctness does go both ways after all.

What it comes down to is that they're riding a wave of comic book to movie success. Guardians Of The Galaxy would probably have worked just as well if it were the only one from comic book to movie, however the sequels for the more known movies from comics book etc have a lift expectancy. I don't know how much longer it will last. I think they've possibly killed off the Captain America and Thor comics, but for the meantime people will probably give them a chance (but lose interest). If replacing the characters like this supposedly 'works' why not make a spinoff comic from a female character next to Thor or a woman next to Captain America? If it doesn't work it's proof the change would have failed, and if it does work, hey, you sell more comics!

At the end of the day though, I will continue to watch the movies as long as they are entertaining. I'm not one of those that goes, ooh, it was different to the book therefore it was crap. I'd say it would be stupid if they made it as good as the book. Hey, if you read the book and know what will happen exactly, it wouldn't really be worth watching so much, would it? True, people who read a book will still see the movie, but if people watch the movie first that is exactly the same as he book, it will all but kill off any future sales of that book.

Comics, books, and movies alike, the whole point of it is entertainment. I don't think character driven dramas work well in movies not only because it is boring as guano, but because there simply isn't enough time for the character development to grow. Television dramas with character development work much better because they are often more interesting, but also there is time for the characters to grow.

They could have easily made Guardians Of The Galaxy a hit with reviewers. Replace all the characters with sad saps of characters and place them in an emotionally distressing scenario.

14. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    No, not at all, I enjoyed for instance the popcorn fluff called 2012.

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I suppose our tastes differ then, as I found that movie to be absolutely terrible.

16. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    This end of world scenario seems at least a bit more plausible than just another shiny thing with almost infinite power. But having said that, I won't rewatch either..there are far better stuff out there.

Also, I think Cusack has some charisma unlike those in GotG.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I don't really watch those movies with plausibility in mind, it's a sci-fi movie. It's about suspending belief, possibly more than most other types of movie. I enjoyed it based upon its own merits, ridiculous things included. That's what made it good for me. I didn't dislike 2012 because I had an issue with how realistic it was, I just found it generally bad.

Different strokes for different folks.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    Not being a massive comic book fan, I loved the old 90's marvel and DC cartoons though some of the best there has ever been.

I also love a lot of the new marvel movies, not so much the DC ones apart from Dark Knight.

I went to see this movie, and for what is was it is a great movie.

It does start off a little dry, and confusing for non comic book fans such as my self. They seemed to just drop you right into the movie with a VERY short intro and then BAM 26 years later here we are. It was like... "hang... what has happened here?" then they start throwing these hilariously stupid "alien" names around and apart from the more popular names in the marvel universe (such as Thanos) I had next to no idea who or what people in the movie were talking about.

However, sticking with the movie and it got better... like WAAAAY better. Soon I got to grips with the names, places, and more back story got revealed I started to be drawn into the movie. This was around the 40 minute mark so stick with the movie. The character shined through and you felt like each one of the team was worthy of being there unlike in the Avengers (which I do love) where its like "Heres Hulk, Iron Man, Thor..... oh and heres Hawkeye and this hot chick".

Overall, slow and confusing start for people not in the know, but great overall movie when you stick with it.

19. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It was the old references that drew me in the most, that and the music. Was just a lot of fun.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Howard the Duck? I sure as hell hope not!