1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX970 0 tachometer, 100% fan speed for no reason

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by N.F.H., May 15, 2018.

1. N.F.H.

N.F.H. New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Hi everyone,
    Im having issues with my Gigabyte Gtx970 G1 Gaming. Sometimes the fans start to spin at full load but the tachometer shows 0 rpm. In MSI afterburner I noticed that the fan percentage is correct but as the tachometer goes down to 0 the fans automatically spin at full speed thinking that it is stuck in 0. I didnt notice any patter of rpm going down to 0. Sometimes its just randomly happens, sometimes it happens just after OS boot. After boot it doesnt go down until i play a game (or maybe wait a very long time): the log of which you can find below.
    [​IMG]
    At point 1 i quit the game thinking that it fixed, but it went down to 0 again, so i played a game again. after the next rpm increase it was working correctly without any issues.

Ive upgraded the BIOS, both for MOBO and GPU, reinstalled drivers with ddud.
    Specs: 8700k, prime z370-a,g750m,tridentz 2x8gb 3600mhz

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Faulty fan? Try running the games/workload without Afterburner. And well... just listen to how it works.

At this point, you need to narrow down and sign off the issues.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    What happens when you set the fan manually with speedfan?

4. N.F.H.

N.F.H. New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Tachometer drops to 0 but fans spin at full load. Afterburner has nothing to do with the issue. Afterburner was off when the fans started to spin like crazy, thats why i decided to record to show whats going on.
    Dont think i have faulty fans, cuz l ike if they are faulty the rpm wouldve been always set to 0 not sometimes. and no i dont hear any strange noise from fans.

5. N.F.H.

N.F.H. New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    nothing. the percentage changes, but as the rpm is set to 0 they spin at full speed.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    It's not about noise, a fan controller can be faulty hence the spikes.

7. N.F.H.

N.F.H. New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Wheres the fan controller located? Can you show the picture so i can check on that? or i should take it to service center?

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Well, there is nothing to check unless you know electronics very well. It depends on fan, but in case of GPU fans its a small chip located inside of Fan unit itself.

For example - https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/p...gtx980ti-graphics-card-cooler-fan-replacement
    You can see the back side of the fans, that's where it is located. IF it's a faulty fan, you can simply buy new ones and plug them into the GPU's fan connector and problem is solved.

That's why im saying you need to test and narrow down what causes it. Try running without Afterburner / whatever else you have there software wise running in the background.
    Try installing on a separate partition bare bones Windows 7 and test there if issue re-appear.

Also in Browser turn off "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed ".

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    There is no fan controller on fan hubs.

GPU is the fan controller, where bios sets the curve of fan speed based on temperature.

You might check what version of bios you have with GPU-z and see if there is latest; otherwise you're looking at least one faulty fan causing weird readings.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I see, my bad then. Live and learn.

11. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    It has to be a driver issue or EVGA software issue. Have you tried Riva Tuner.