Gtx590 gone. Hello Ati 6990

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bboy-mass, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    jeez, how did this turn into AMD vs Intel?

The simple fact of the matter is that with a 6990 there is going to be a much reduced GPU bottleneck even at higher resolutions, and overclocking your CPU (whether it's an AMD or Intel) will give a substantial boost in performance.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol what are you trying to suggest, that you have a special 470 or something? You are overclocked 135mhz higher than me on the core and 420mhz higher then me on the memory, with a faster CPU, the score still makes sense bro. Like it or not it comes down to numbers, not magic. A system built identical to yours in every way would get the exact same score as you, plain and simple.

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

My previous rig was a E8400 and it was seriously holding back my 560. I built two identically configured rigs at newegg except for CPU and motherboard picking the best from AMD (1100T), and the fastest SB from intel (2600K). The price difference between the two builds was around $100. I know that at high resolutions the playing field is going to level out, and the GPU is going to be the deciding factor. But once you come from a CPU bound system such as my old E8400, you want to make sure you have plenty of CPU muscle for todays games, and tomorrows. I did really want to try a hexacore; but I couldn't deny what all the reviews and benchmarks showed. If AMD equaled intel in games, which was stated by someone, I would be typing this on a AMD build right now. I am not butt hurt I just know how to pick my battles, and arguing or getting heated up in an online forum is childish to me.

4. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Yes it is childish no doubt.
    I had an E8400 good CPU in its day, that day is gone. I for one would say you made a good choice in CPU and MB upgrade, they are allot of fools on the forum that tell people thier 965BE is holding them back and they need an upgrade.
    That.........is foolish.

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Massive distortion on the side monitors. The far ends are so stretched they're useless.

That, and games that fix the horizontal FOV end up shrinking the vertical FOV a whole lot just to make the 5.3:1 (or whatever) aspect ratio.
    Meaning games look like you're looking through a mail slot.

I much prefer a regular monitor, or a nice big projector.

-scheherazade

6. MrBox

MrBox Guest

You prefer a regular monitor, but have you actually played on eyefinity or surround? Do you have a 3 screen setup?

I thought I wouldn't like it at first, but even with distortion in *some* games, the advantages far outnumber any downsides. Once you are used to it you can really use it to your advantage, especially in shooters. It even gives me an advantage in WoW/Rift as I can see things to my side and nearly behind me that I might normally run in to, etc.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's all personal preference though, the best gaming experience i've ever had was with 3D, but not everyone likes it, or has even tried it, but it still has the people basing it.

As for using it in a shooter, if it give you an advantage then i see no need to use it against anyone other than other Eyefinity/Surround users.

When i used to to be into competitivve MP FPS gaming, at the LAN party we spent as much time as possible making sure everyone was on as similar playing field as possible, so that.

Cockpit view driving games, flight sims etc... look like they could be perfect for multi-monitor setups, but with other games it would only increase the distraction factor.

8. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Ya they help me in BFBC2 also man saved my ass many times seeing someone coming from the sides. Not to mention if you stand next to a wall and look straight you can see through the wall on that side! haha very handy indeed. But even without that I still cant stand playing without it now, im so used to it any game without sucks.

"When i used to to be into competitivve MP FPS gaming, at the LAN party we spent as much time as possible making sure everyone was on as similar playing field as possible, so that."
    Better not play BC2 then they have armor and you may not, come on man its war nobody has the same stuff. The army with the best equipment almost always wins.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i found this Toms Hardware F1 2010 kinda fake regarding Yorkfield, even if its 800mhz slower then mine.

Ok i know its not real dx11, but still i doubt dx11 should cripple cpu that much..
    forced 16xaf, settings - ultra (force dx9=false); reso: 1280x1024;

Track: Britain (sunny); 24 cars

no aa

4xaa

vs

min: 34fps; avg: 44fps in Toms hardware (ultra, no aa)..

10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    huh...what a thread

11. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Congrats eh TS. The last nvidia one i had was the 8800gtx it was a beast but it overheated and died in a small part due to me cos of the dust thing but still it was too hot.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't play it anyway, only bought it cause it was cheap as i gave up on MP FPS's a few years back, but suppose thats a valid point, not like its the best solider who always wins.

But back then, just to make sure there were no excuses afterwards we tried our best to try and keep everything as similar as possible.

13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Have fun with ur jumpy drivers and microstuttering :puke2:

14. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    At last someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks,

Bboymassuk

15. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Disable Crossfire uisng RadeonPro.

You waill not have an option to disable Crossfire in Cat Software because you have a dual GPU Card.

Use Radeon Pro and set NO CROSSFIRE for Crysis2

Works a treat until they sort the issue out.

R.
    Bboymassuk

16. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Oh another one whos deluded.

I've had more success in 3 days than I had with that RUSHED to market GPU GTX590. Infact, I guess im the only person on this forum who can compare the two GPU's performance beacuse I've owned them both.

Night, night little boy. Its time for bed.

17. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    HAHA thanks you'd be shocked how many times I've been told my CPU is bottlenecking my system!

18. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Errrrmmmmm NO

This post started with regards to moving back to ATI because the competion NVIDIA GTX590 wasted 2 weeks of my gaming life.

NOTHING to do with Intel vs AMD.

:)

19. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Case in point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.