GTX460 1G vs GTX260 SP216 ? good or not ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alucard_xs, Jul 16, 2010.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I recently upgraded from a GTX 260-216sp and I was considering what to upgrade to as well. The 460, although much better than the 260 just didn't seem like enough of an upgrade. Since I was itching, I went for the 470. It's a great card, no doubt about it, but as people say it's either hot or noisy (depending on the fan profile you set up), there's no middle ground. Now the full 104 sounds like a better solution with approx. 470 performance but less heat, power and more OC headroom, but it's still in the future and I didn't want to wait that long.

2. Foldinator

Foldinator New Member

GPU:
    Build in GPU vegas
    I can only speak in terms of F@H and then yes but you would know that as well :)

3. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i thought about going to a 460 and then realized my dual 260's are already around the performance of a 480. dual 460's are looking tempting though :) but ya if DX11 is important too you, a single 260 to a 460 would be worth it

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You can overclock the GTX460 to around stock 470 perormance, and it will still be cooler and quieter, i got mine up to 900, and it still didn't go past 75c, its not a 24/7 OC though.

I also upgraded from a GTX260 and it was a great purchase in my opinion, it idles at 25-30c and is silent so is perfect for my HTPC especially considering it will support HMDI HD audio, but can also be pushed to near GTX470 levels if you overclock it for gaming.

I would go for one of the factory overclocked ones though, better if you don't OC, and also better as you do as the will l likely come with better cooling solutions.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I have a great deal here to get MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1GD5/OC for only 200€ (i realy need to get rid of this GTS250)

On the other side ATI HD 6xxx is coming so i think it will be better to wait little more.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If I hadn't already bought my GTX460, I'd be waiting right now as well.

7. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I upgraded from a evga gtx260 216 sc 896mb to a evga gtx460 sc ee 1gb. Yes there is a performance difference. You can't always go by benches and reviews. Also your settings will play a big factor when playing games. Some games are also more taxing then others.
    Overall the 460 is a very good card, especially for price and performance. It can get hot and noisy but can be eliminated by choosing the right version of the 460. I choose EVGA because i trust in them. Have yet to have a bad card for them. I also like there 10 yr warranty.

*I still use my gtx 260 as my physX card. Since I have it might as well put it to some use but I don't play many games that require physX.