1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX295 - Driver install/uninstall mayem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by earthdog, Jan 15, 2009.

1. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Hi All!

Had a 8800GTS and took a Gigabyte GTX 295.

Card came with installation CD including 180.87 drivers

Yesterday i lost 7 hours of my life trying to uninstall 177.xx drivers of my 8800and put the new ones..

Got:

Driver Sweeper ,Driver Cleaner.NET and NFR (Nasty file remover) and used it in any combination and read all the uninstall-related posts on the forums BUT:

I couldnt make it happen. After booting clean in normal mode (not safe) every time i tried to install the driver the folowing happened.

Installation started normally. The progress bar as usual stayed in the middle BUT for only some seconds then it went to the end and the message said there was no modification to tthe system...

I tried all the possible combinations of procedure (i think) but the only thing that worked was 185.20 Drivers.....

I didn't succeed with following

180.87 ORIGINAL DRIVER CD
    181.20 (Various versions, nvidia,laptopvideo2go,guru3d)
    180.xx

What am i doing wrong? Please help me because if i continue like this someone will find a broken pc on the street below my balcony...

Elias

Vista 32
    Gigabyte M/B latest BIOS P35-DQ6

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You didn't actually mention whether you'd tried installing the v181.20 drivers from Safe Mode so I'd suggest trying that myself. Also aren't the v181.20 and v185.20 drivers the only ones that officially support the GTX 295? The earlier v180.xx ones came out long before the GTX 295 was released so that might be why you cannot install them as the relevant card entries don't exist in the installation files.

3. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    1. I installed the drivers in normal mode after the system installed standard VGA. On safe mode i just cleaned the system up from installation files with the mentioned programs. I think i va tried to install insafe mode with the same results.

2.Yes 181.20 and 185.20 are the ones that support GTX295. If this is correct why they give with the card the CD including 180.87? I managed to install the supplied drivers when i first put the card without problems but when i wanted to switch to 181.20 the mayhem started....

I used many .inf files combination with all these versions ..

Also something that i forgot...

When i was using the HAVE DISK METHOD the system said that it found the correct driver (Nvidia GTX 295") but encountered a problem....

Also in normal install i got timeout messages for something that asnt indicated..

Elias

4. nicklesss

nicklesss Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 / EK-FC480
    I've received this message when I try to install the driver with PhysX including in installation. Try to remove the PhysX and install the driver separately and after that PhysX.

5. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    No PhysX installed during all these steps....:(

Installed PhysX at the end...

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    After installing (not yet rebooted) can you tell me is there a GTX 295 entry in the device manager ? One GPU disabled, the other active ?

Even better, open up the device manager, and during installation check wether or not the GTX 295 GPUs install and then revert back to the old WHQL driver.

Let me know.

7. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    I dont really remember that, good point, but since i lost yesterday 7 hours i dont think i will do it until this weekend...can you tell me your thoughts on this?

what if apperas or not in te device manager?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hmm, I have seen the problem (as I described it) and reported it back to NV.
    If you have this very same issue, then it's not an anomoly.

But first you need to verify that.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @earthdog - The 180.87 drivers are later than the 180.84 betas that were released so it seems they may have been the first "official" drivers to support the GTX 295. I don't think the 180.84 betas or earlier drivers did.

10. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    @DARREN That's very logical...I wish i could install them instead having 185.20... :(

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'd say that if you cannot even install the drivers that came with your graphics card that there is something wrong with the card itself. I mean those CD drivers tend to be out of date but they *always* work with the product they came with, at least that is the theory.

That they don't work for you tells me something is very wrong and that is backed up by the fact that you're having problems installing other newer drivers too. Maybe the card is defective?

12. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    mmm i dont think so because the problem is not present after i install them....By the way i see pc is behaving i think that it has to do with Vista and leftovers from my 8800gts that ihad previous....

Today all day the pc its open and now and for the past 2 hours i am benchmarking with furmark and 3dmark..

FURMARK gave a score of ~8000 with standard clocks and around 9200 with core set to 666mhz :) (@1280x1024 0xAA)

I dont know if this is good or bad number but i am trying to see what happens...

I didnt have the nerve to try again today to install 181.20 and possibly loose 5-6 hours doing so...

hopefully during the weekend.....

Also no artifacts, normal temp..(i.e. right now temp is @ 69C !! and FS2004 is running on dual monitors)

Elias

13. Zaxth

Zaxth New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 295 GTX
    Having also bought a 295 GTX today I can confirm this to be true.
    I got the XFX 295 GTX and the drivers that come on the cd are 180.87, but they only come in a 32bit edition, which is useless when you're on 64bit. Thankfully the driver software gui gives you a link to the newest official drivers, being 181.20.
    I can also confirm that this specific driver doesn't work.
    I can see that it installs, taking a very long time, looking at the device manager I see two cards.... then after a while theres only one and the installation is complete. You reboot and the card doesn't work.
    The card works with the 185.20 driver though. But it has issues with Fallout 3, causing BSOD.

14. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Thinking..should i be happy or not?

:)

so we stick with 185.20 until something new comes out? maybe...

@Zaxth: Do you have a score from FURMARK? if yes can you share it ?

Elias

15. Zaxth

Zaxth New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 295 GTX
    On Vista 64bit with SP1
    Furmark at 1280x1024 MSAA 0X: 7905
    Furmark at 1920x1200 MSAA 0X: 5978
    Furmark at 1920x1200 MSAA 4X: 5782
    No oc on graphics card.
    And yes Elias you probably should be happy, because this means it's not your card, but the drivers, so it's a small comfort.

Okay, I figured something out, you get the 185.20 driver installed then when you're in normal windows operating mode, install the 181.20 driver, it should install with no issues, aside from the fact that you'll have 2 nvidia control panel shortcuts in your right click menu on the desktop.
    This has worked for me and I can now play games like Fallout 3
    So try it out and see if it'll work for you as well :)

EDIT: Added Solution

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009

16. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Furmark givs the same to me in std clocks....

3DMARK though gives a GPU score of 16435 ..it should be around 18000 i think.....

I will try your idea as soon as i find the courage of starting all over again...:)

17. AceBaran

AceBaran Member

GPU:
    GTX295 Quad SLI

Excactly what i had, with 181.20 and also with 181.22, running 185 atm wich is the only driver that will install correctly !

18. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    @ACEBARAN: you have a 295 also?

by the way...185.20 runs very very good on me....

19. AceBaran

AceBaran Member

GPU:
    GTX295 Quad SLI
    Yes i have a GTX295, and 185.20 seems the best driver ATM for it.. altho i did get 181.20 to run
    your score seems low indeed.. probbably becouse of your cpu..

This is my score, i did clock mine a bit tho

[​IMG]

20. earthdog

earthdog Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    nice....

My GPU is low ...17.700 i am trying to see if i just upgrade my core 2 duo to a core 2 duo 3.16G if it will make a difference..

if yes i ll go get one for now..

Yeap 185.20 are very good....not one problem with them..

Elias