GTX280 - Flashing through Windows.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Surfa, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Surfa

Surfa Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD5870
    Hey, i got a GTX280 for quite a bit and want to flash it. My main reasoning behind this is because i want to change the card's auto-fan control (Use NiBitor) and make it usable with my OC. and flash my OC speeds onto it also.

I dont have a flashdrive with me, but im getting one if i cant do this through Windows. nVflash supposedly doesnt work with the GT200 series?

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  3. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    I have flashed my GTX280's using nvflash v5.67 to apply my customised fan settings.

You will need to make sure you are flashing the correct device or you will get 'Error: Not supported EEPROM'.

To list all devices type;

nvflash --list

On my PC I have 3 devices listed, the first device is 0 and my video cards are indexed 1 and 2.

To flash my 1st card card I typed;

nvflash --index=1 GTX280.ROM

and for my 2nd card;

nvflash --index=2 GTX280.ROM

Obviously you will need to make sure you have the correct index number and BIOS name for your setup.

If you have changed the device id or vendor you may need to use some switches. e.g

nvflash --index=1 -4 -5 -6 GTX280.ROM

4. Surfa

Surfa Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD5870
    My problem is that nVflash 5.67 tells me it is NOT compatible with my OS, and tells me to try and find another compatible with 64bit. Im using Vista Ultimate x64

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    You need to use nvflash in DOS - you can't flash your card in Windows.

You will need to make a DOS boot disk either on floppy or USB thumbrive.

Floppy is easiest, just stick a disk in, right click on the floppy drive and select 'Format' then tick the box for 'Create an MS-Dos Startup disk' and then click 'Start'.

Once it's complete copy the 2 nvflash files to the floppy and also your modded and original video card BIOS files.

It sounds like you are not very experienced in doing this so my suggestion to you is it read up on how to flash your cards and also make sure you know what to do if something goes wrong.

You can brick your cards if the flash fails, the BIOS file is corrupt or the power goes out etc...

I highly recommend having a spare PCI video card OR making an autoexec.bat file that you can use to do a 'blind flash' to recover from a bad flash.

There are full instructions on how to make an emergency flash disk here.

6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    "You need to use nvflash in DOS - you can't flash your card in Windows."

Yes lol you can. I do it all the time.