GTX280 and Far Cry 2... bad performance???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Alexraptor, May 21, 2009.

1. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    Not necessary. If I can take the time to offer suggestions, you can take the time to be polite.

2. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I doubt he meant anything by that statement. Its probably just the text as its hard to know what a persons intentions are over the internet.

3. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Indeed, sorry if i offended you.

I think i have made some progress, and i think it has to do wit ha 32-bit OS.
    Ran a go on Windows 7 RC1 64-bit with my 4gig of 1066mhz RAM, still getting framerate drops but it completely eliminated the microstuttering. This is under DX9 mode, don't run DX10 because for some reason it hitches every few seconds there.
    Anyway, Windows 7 64bit = Silky smooth. Only complaint is Anisotropic filtering wont work. And of course its still a pre-release OS without proper mature drivers.

Seems that the 64bit OS unlocks the full potential of my system or some programs just like it better. When i fired up Flight Simulator X in it i found i got stable framerates with Dense autogen scenery and aircraft self-shadowing on a very complex addon aircraft, without as much as a hiccup, while in XP-32 i could only do Normal autogen density and self-shadowing off.

Now if i could only get rid of the FC2 framerate drops :p

4. BCC335

BCC335 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285/Evga GTX 480
    FC2 Microstutter, Hitching, Lag, Low Fps

Just wanted to add my experience with FC2 which I just finished playing.
    Firstly I have all the exact symptoms you have described in your posts Alexraptor. In reading your problems it described my problems to a tee. Exactly my experience of playing FC2.

Just like you I have a hand built hot rodded rig that has no problems with any other game, except FC2. In fact FC2 is the first game Ive ever had playability problems with. I was unable to find a solution to the symptoms described.

I'm running the following:

Q6600@3.3, 4GB CRUCIAL @ 1044, 44415, XFX GTX 285 OC to Black edition,
    Win Xp Sp3 with latest updates, 2xWD148 raid 0 (Sysdisk) 2xWD250 raid 0(Game/data disk) defragged daily. FC2 W/latest patch @ 1920x1200 vsync on DX9 using 182.50 whql

I've never had a game run this poorly. I suspect there is a bug with WinXP 32bit DX9 and this game.

Last edited: May 22, 2009

5. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    That has to be what it is because this game runs awesome on my rig in DX10 with Vista 64.

6. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    I think, that is correct.

Moreover, I take back my previous words; the game engine DOES have some issues.

We all agree now, DX9 *might* perform poor on this game.

As Rob, I run it on DX10 and vista 64; the game runs great.

Then, it comes the frame drops issues.

I've been running benches of the game por the past 3 days, on different conditions.

Even though the avegare frame rate result, its satisfactory , the very steep and low frame drops takes you as low as 20 fps on ATI cards; on nvidia, the drops are less steep. On my ATI cards, and other ppl, the drop is really steep and fast , and the recovery as well.... In nvidia cards, it's more progressive..... never "dives" that deep but it takes longer to recover.........

We had a disccussion over the frame drop, blaming hdd access, since during long benches (long ranch) the hdd works. In small ranch, the frame drops where less.

Last night, I RAID 0 2 raptors (raptors, not vraptors), install the F**g Vista OS again, patched to latest. Then catalyst drivers 9.4 and Far Cry 2 (patch 1.02).

With this fresh setup, I ran the benches again, Long Ranch 4 passes, UltraHigh, 8xAA. The results were better average framerate, but the fps drops where still there. The graph looked the same as before in terms of frame drops.

Going deeply into the thing, I discovered that when the game hits areas with fire at close range; everything went to hell on a hand basket. Now, with my gpu horse power, this shouldn't be happening. Given that drivers on nVidia might perform better than ATIs on this case, but the problem its still there, so its got to be with the game engine itself.

I will be gaming tonight or tomorrow, to check even further. I wonder to what extent, this behaviour in benches, affects the gameplay. I finished the game time ago, but I will extensively play it again.

No wonder they had to implement fixes on drivers, for this game, in several (2) ocassions on ATI, and as far as I know, on nVidia drivers as well.......

7. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well...... I HAD TO REINSTALL VISTA AGAIN LAST NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:vader:

Now, I am the one needing medication..............

8. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Yeah it must be a thing with ATI drivers and FC2 because the game runs great for me. I get 50-60fps most of the time with a very very rare dip into the low 40's.

9. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Actually im runnin DX9 on FC2 in Windows 7 RC1, no microstuttering there at all. and even 35 FPS feels smooth as butter. Only problem is anisotropic filtering wont work heh.

10. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 7 its proving itself as a great platform for gaming. Good to know.
    Is there something stopping you from running FC2 on DX10 mode on W7?
    Just curious. .........

11. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Yeah, i suffer the "hitching" syndrome in DX10 mode.
    That every 10 seconds or so it has a short stutter/lag.

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I get that too, even though DX10 has higher fps, DX9 is totally smooth. meh, both modes look identical so I just run in DX9.

13. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just to eliminate the temperature issue: open Rivatuner's manual fan control and set it to 80 %. My GPU temp never got over 62c after 3 hours of FC2 on a warm day...

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  14. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Dude.... a temperature issue does not show itself in just one game, and only shows up in the one operating system and not the other.
    Take into account that i have been playing the most graphics intensive game on the planet without problems.

Anyway its definatley a OS/Driver issue. Did a reformat of my comp last night, and while it did remove some "hitching" in Sid Meier's Pirates, it did not get rid of the FC2 microstutters.

15. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Far Cry 2 IS VERY CPU dependent .I get 40 FPS maxed out at 1280x1024.