GTX275 FTW won't go above 2D/Low-Power 3D clocks

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MarcAntony, Mar 11, 2011.

1. MarcAntony

MarcAntony New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275 FTW
    Hi guys/gals,

I really need some help here. I've posted on EVGA forums as well, but 200 series doesnt get much pub nowadays. Relevant system specs are:

EVGA 780i SLI
    EVGA GTX275 FTW
    Samsung T240 TOC
    Thermaltake TP 1,000W

Heres what is happening. The card will NOT, under any circumstances, clock above low-power 3D clocks (well below stock speeds). With nothing open, and at the desktop, it sits in 2D clocks and when I run any type of 3D or gaming application it will go up to low-power 3D clocks and not higher. I have run OCCT as well as various games and it refuses to reach stock speeds.

Here are the things I have done:

Tried underclocking the card using Precision. No luck.
    Tried toggling back and forth between adaptive and full performance power settings within the driver settings
    Tried four different drives (all the way back to 182.50) and am going with completely clean installs, using DriverSweeper + CCleaner in safe mode. Same problem exists with each driver.
    Uninstalled Precision and installed RivaTuner. Set driver level overclocking to on, rebooted to pick up clocks, and have set the 3D Performance at underclocked, stock speed, and various overclocks. No luck.

It was about at this point where I started thinking there must be something obvious I’m missing. So I began pouring through diagnostics (even though my acumen is not that high that I would catch an issue) and settings and finally ran across something noteworthy. In the NVCPUI I noticed that on the set resolution page it had listed my connection type as “Composite” with a little icon for that yellow, single-connector, video cable that no one has used in 20 years . I thought hallelujah! It must be the cable. I went to BestBuy and bought a 10,000% markup DVI cable and raced back to the house, installed it, booted up and NOOOOOOOOOOO! It still states as being connected through a “composite” connection and nothing has changed. I’m currently using 266.58 fwiw.

Dragon’s Age II is calling me, but this GPU issue is about to be the death of me. I have done many searches, but see only similar issues, but everyone of them reads “my card is stuck in 2D/low-power 3D!” / answer “Are you overclocked?” / user “Hells yeah!!!” / answer “don’t overclock” / “sweet! thanks man!”. Or the same thing except the person can fix it by rebooting, which clearly is not working here.

Please let me know if there's any relevant info left out and I will provide it.

I will name my first born after the forum member who solves this………….and I will name them your screen name

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Any way you could test the card in another system? i.e a friends?

3. MarcAntony

MarcAntony New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275 FTW
    Unfortunately no. I just moved to a new city for a job and really don't know anyone except a girl with a laptop.

Although I may be able to just take the card by a local PC repair shop and ask them to plug it in and see, but wouldn't be able to do it until Monday at lunch.

4. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    have you tried to format your os are you using any gpu tools like nvidia performance tools if you are try unistaling and reinstal again or try to conect the gpu to other exit of your psu or updating the bios

5. MarcAntony

MarcAntony New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275 FTW
    Sorry about the delay in response, but good question - yes, I just reinstalled the OS and formatted the internal drives completely. I loaded 7 with the driver as the first thing and then the mobo driver and the very second I got into Windows I opened the NVCP and guess what? It still had the connected listed as composite, but even more revealing was that it still thought I was running a dual-monitor setup! That other monitor is now on my other desktop and there is only one DVI-D cable in the back of the GPU.

So this lead me to start messing around more with trying to get the GPU to realize there is no second monitor. I went into Device Manager and uninstalled - check. I refreshed Device Manager and bam....its back again. I can't figure out how to resolve it, but to make matters even more weird is last night I just got curious to try one last thing before pulling it out and sending it back to EVGA. I grabbed the other monitor from the other PC and its DVI and brought them over to this PC and plugged them in and powered up - basically giving the GPU what it so stubbornly seems to demand I do. Low and behold......713core 1260mem. Clocks are back. So then I thought ok, now I can use this as an opportunity to tell the GPU nicely that we are saying goodbye to the other monitor and so I go into NVCP and disable the second monitor and the clocks immediately downshift to 300core.

But clearly this is far from an ideal solution, being held hostage by my GPU to keep a second monitor hooked up to keep it company.

I just did some searching and found the BIOS download for the GTX 275FTW. I've never flashed a BIOS on a GPU before, but do you think doing that would reset it? If so, how does one flash a GPU BIOS?

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Personally if this is an EVGA product with the warranty still valid, I would RMA the card. If you brick the card while trying to do a flash, they may refuse to honor the warranty. EVGA has a very liberal warranty policy but, that is one thing other than physical damage they cite as a reason for refusal. At least give them a call.

7. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    yes i agree with the other member if the gpu is stil under evga suport with warranty is beter to rma becouse if you do a flash you can damage your gpu permanently RMA the gpu

8. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX1080 GS
  9. Lodingi

Lodingi Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX650ti 1 gig
    Have you changed the power management mode from adaptive to performance in the control panel? That fixed the problem for me.

10. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    peace of advice thont change nothing in bios or voltages if she stil in waranty rma the card