GTX 980 Ti Custom Cooler

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stojo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. stojo

stojo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Hey all,

first, sorry for my bad english. I am from Germany.
    Yesterday my EVGA 980 Ti superclocked has arrived and i am totaly happy with the perfomance.
    Before the 980 Ti i had the GTX 970. Good card, but too weak for my 1440p Asus ROG SWIFT Monitor.

Many people asked me, why i bought the Reference/stock design 980 Ti and don´t wait for the custom designs to come on market.

But the performance of the first 980 Ti s is enough for me, and i couldn´t wait to get one :)

So the problem is, the card is getting very hot.

In BF4 and Crysis 3 for example i am getting around 88 Grad Celsius and the stock cooler ist heavy loud then. It sounds like a hairdryer on level 3 ...

I am playing with headphones, so i am not hearing it. But my girlfriend is getting angry, when she is in the same room with me.

Now i am thinking about two things, sending it back and wait for custom design cards or buying a cooler and change it by myself.

The thing is, this EVGA 980 Ti superclocked has a good chip quality. I am getting in boost clock 1380 MhZ (helped a little bit in Afterburner) without increasing the voltage. I think that is very good.

So what would you do? Are there any good coolers to buy for the 980 Ti?
    Is it worth it?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Greetings from germany,

stojo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Arctic Cooling might come with one, else EK announced a new block for watercooling.
    There might come a few more waterblocks from others, but as for air there aren't really a lot of vendors that build them anymore.

But since your in Germany, you do have a 2 weeks regret policy?
    Since then you can return the card and go for the SC version that ships with the ACX 2.0 cooler + backplate.

What kind of case/housing do you have?

You can most probably use the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV (remove the spaces)
    http:// wccftech . com /nvidia-gefo...reme-iv-bios-mod-pushes-1550-mhz-air-cooling/

They use it on an overclocked Titan X with a modded BIOS to push the power target up to 425W, 1550 MHz core, 8002 MHz memory clock and 1.281V
    Look at the temperatures they read with that overclock:

I would get some better paste than what ARCTIC ships it with.

As for noise, here is what a Titan X users wrote in a review on newegg:
    But he also wrote this:
    The cooler is not easy to install it either, full cover waterblocks that are made for a specific card are so much easyer, hence why I go for the ACX 2.0.
    Going to disassemble it before use though, to make sure it doesn't come with this failure:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes,3.html
    I think EVGA did fix it though.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Corsair HG10 will soon be released and will support 980Ti at a later date.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    250W TDP, enjoy. With such temperature it's watercooling or it's a no-go.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    A custom cooler will in most cases get the temperatures lower than the reference cooler, and a lot of custom coolers are far less noisy than reference too.

Check the Saphire R9 290X Tri-X and Vapor, that proofs that custom cooling can do well, not as well as water ofc.
    250W is peanuts compared to.

6. escalibur

escalibur Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti STRIX (soon)
    Personally I would rather choose 3 fan cooler editions:

Zotac AMP!-cards (3x 90mm) or Asus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ps. Why not even Gainward or Gigabyte (even it has smaller fans).

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Bull**** of the day.

With an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 you can keep it cool at only 50% Fan Speed.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Same, but they need to come out to the shops, so far I have only seen EVGA's with the AC 2.0 as a custom cooled 980Ti on the hardware shop pages.