GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    There's nothing wrong with my system! lol

Most of the game show decent performance increases and, obviously, v-sync is not enabled for any of the benchmarks except one otherwise none of the benchmarks would exceed 60 fps as I use a 60 Hz display.

The only benchmark that was v-synced was the Total War: Rome II one because I could not turn v-sync off without getting a black screen and a non-responsive game. The game and benchmark work fine though. And, yes, I revalidated the cache and it made no difference.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Digital Foundry got 91.1 fps with Tomb Raider on Ultimate settings with FXAA: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

Their non-overclocked GTX 980 was tested on an i7-3770K, presumably at stock since they don't mention the clock speed. That is comparable to my CPU and on Ultimate settings Shadows are still on Normal not Ultra so that accounts for the lower 79.1 fps...presumably. I will test the game on the Ultimate Preset with FXAA and report back.

*EDIT*
    On the Ultimate preset, at 1920x1200 not 1920x1080 remember, I get the following results:

Min: 68.0, Max: 104.0, Ave: 86.2 fps

Those are not far off the Digital Foundry results but they benchmarked at 1920x1080 and the i7-3770K may have been overclocked to 4.2 GHz (I seem to recall them mentioning the test PC specs in another article but don't quote me on it). I am not going to quibble over 5 fps!!! lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Well something is causing your Tombraider results to be way off what they should be. Batman is more like what it should be apart from the min framerate thing.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Read my post above about Tomb Raider please. ;)

As for the Batman: Arkham games, PhysX seems to cause performance drops during the benchmarks (as I said earlier the minimum framerate drops noticeably between the sections of the benchmark where there's a black transition screen) which is why no two runs give exactly the same results. However, the one consistency I've found is that the minimum framerate is usually always unusally low in every PhysX game I've tested (it is the same in the Metro Redux benchmarks which I will post later once I've ran them on the GTX 980).

It's why I personally do not like PhysX as using it almost always results in the game suffering from bouts of stuttering/hitching and inconsistent framerates. Mafia II is a really good example of this as well. Oh and Alice Returns too though that is capped at 30 FPS so it isn't as noticeable or annoying. ;)

*EDIT*
    Right, I switched my global profile from Adaptive performance to Prefer Maximum Performance and re-ran Tomb Raider's benchmark at 1920x1200 with Custom maxed out settings (motion blur/screen effects on too), FXAA, TressFX, Ultra Shadows and I got a min of 60 fps, a max of 108 fps and an average of 81.9 fps but within the "margin of error", as they say.

I usually leave the Global profile set on Max Performance to be honest and it's possible that the Adaptive setting could lower the benchmark scores if say the clock speeds drop during benchmarks when the screen goes black, like it does in the Batman: Arkham ones. I'll re-run those with Max Performance and see if the results are higher.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    I've done the thief bench on my 780

48 min, 84 max and 64 avg. At the ghz stock meaning 1124mhz boost

46 min, 78 max and 60 avg at close to a stock 780 as i can downclock it (1006 mhz )

@Darren You should really overclock that 4770k, you might even reach 60+ min.

Great cards, i dont know how you guys can hold back this much and not overclock the s**t out of them.

6. klown07

klown07 Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    Well..... i suppose it wouldn't hurt to maybe uninstall the drivers, and do a clean install then reboot? I'll probably do that to be on the safe side myself. Ah well, they are still good scores.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ southamptonfc - These are the exact Batman: Arkham City settings I'm using here:

[​IMG]

I'm going to re-run the benchmark on Max. Performance but I don't expect it'll differ by anything more than a few fps. The Extreme Detail setting is a more demanding setting than the highest one the game original shipped with and was added via a later patch. Are you sure you are using Extreme Detail?

PhysX is set to High by the way, though it's not shown in the screenshot as it was offscreen at the bottom.

*EDIT*
    I ran the benchmark three times, ignoring the first run as a test and here are the results (with max. performance):

2nd Run: Min: 37, Max: 121, Ave: 76 fps
    3rd Run: Min: 41, Max: 119, Ave: 79 fps

Those results are the same (within margin of error) and a bit higher than my original ones posted earlier, especially the minimum. The higher minimum may be down to PhysX and the higher average may be due to the fact I'm using Max. rather than Adaptive Performance.

I'll run the game with PhysX on Normal and Off.

*EDIT 2*
    Same settings as screenshot above but with different PhysX levels:

PhysX Normal - Min: 48, Max: 135, Ave: 92 fps

PhysX Off - Min: 84, Max: 215, Ave: 157 fps

Shows how performance sapping PhysX is even on Normal as I lose 65 fps which is a 41% performance hit! PhysX on High basically halves the framerate!

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I hope so. You are correct, I've had this happen before where I got an estimated delivery of 10+ days but go it much sooner.. but it's still not something I want to see :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Darren what is your boost clock hitting at stock?

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    1342-1354 Mhz are the range of figures I'm generally seeing in Afterburner's OSD during benchmarking with v-sync off. The stock clock is 1242 MHz (Superclocked model). I believe the reference clock is 100 MHz less than that.

I have not tried overclocking it further yet as I wanted to be everything was stable at stock. I also want to apply a custom fan profile too as I find that helps maintain higher boosts.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Why does GPU-Z v0.7.9 report that the GTX 980 has 32 ROPS? I thought it has 64? :3eyes:

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Can someone with GPU-Z v0.7.9 and a GTX 980 check something for me please as I've come across a really weird bug, one that I did not have before today when I fitted my new card.

Basically, if I open GPU-Z and click on the little Screenshot (camera) icon in the top-right corner of the main Graphics Card window then it causes my system to literally freeze every 10 seconds for 10 seconds (mouse stops moving) and Windows becomes very unresponsive. Restarting my PC fixes it and this issue ONLY occurs when I do that. Because my system is not usuable I've been unable to access Task Manager to determine what is happening.

Now GPU-Z v0.7.9 has an issue on my system where it will crash on loading unless I set it to Windows 8 compatibility mode and to Run as Admin. I've no idea why it does this as earlier versions worked fine on Windows 8.1. Maybe this issue is caused by that or it's some incompatibility issue with the GTX 980.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same behaviour. I can replicate it every time and only by doing that.

*EDIT*
    The GPU-Z crash I'm having unless I use compatibility mode is caused by PhysX using the GPU. If I change PhysX to use the CPU then it does not crash on loading (when not using the compatibility mode). I'm surprised no-one else has noticed this. :3eyes:

*EDIT 2*
    With PhysX set to use the CPU, GPU-Z does not freeze my system when taking a screenshot of its window either so this is definitely a bug related to PhysX, possibly the latest version, v9.14.0702, which comes with the v344.11 WHQL drivers.

13. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tried the .16 beta drivers?

Otherwise i suggest maybe a cleanup/ uninstall everything and see if that helps resolve it

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Maybe someone else can try same as you Darren with 980 and try Cpu-z to see if they have 32/64 ROPs?
    I did try using latest cpu-z on the 690 to grab my bios and it didnt work.
    I think it maybe alittle buggy as i had problems with it too.

Also some people are reprting boost at stock on the EVGA SC to be 1392 and 1405mhz with no offset at all. Seems to be silicon lottery maybe?
    My 690 was rated at 1019 (i think) at stock but it boosts to 1045 and 1058mhz so i dont know if thats normal or silicon lottery.

PM Rflair as he has a 980 also.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Veteran - It's GPU-Z not CPU-Z! ;)

I can replicate the crash. I even did a clean install of the v344.11 and GPU-Z still causes the issues I described when PhysX is set to Auto or GPU. If it's set to CPU then GPU-Z loads without having to use a Windows 8 compatibility flag and I can save a screenshot without it freezing my system every 10 seconds. What a weird bug.

I never had this with my GTX 780 as I used GPU-Z earlier with the v344.11 to save one final screenshot of my card before I upgraded. So it may be GTX 980 specific.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sorry i meant to say GPU-Z, i still got problems when grabbing the bios and so did Cmgver when he flashed his 690. I think its buggy mate.:)

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This a uploaded screenshot of NVIDIA Inspector too that shows only 32 ROPS:

[​IMG]

18. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ya shows 32. GPU-Z probably needs an update.

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Hi guys! I'm too tired right now and my lady is waiting me in bed (you know what I mean, lol) so I'm gonna just Copy -> Paste here something I've posted at 970 club. Of course below it's written 970, here in 980 club it's all about 980 so... you know what I want to say.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Some more benchmarks (sorry I didn't post these earlier but I got side-tracked playing the superb Wastelands 2...great stress test for my GTX 980...hahaha!):

Unigine Heaven 4.0 (DX11, Extreme Preset)

GTX 780 - Score: 1,033, Ave: 41.0 (Min: 10.9, Max: 90.5) fps
    GTX 980 - Score: 1,539, Ave: 61.1 (Min: 27.7, Max: 133.6) fps

3DMark 11 - Performance (1280x720)

GTX 780 - P10873, GS: 11,980, PS: 8,646, CS: 8,324
    GTX 980 - P13917, GS: 17,932, PS: 8,499, CS: 8,080

3DMark 11 - Extreme (1920x1080)

GTX 780 - X4149, GS: 3,862, PS: 7,865, CS: 4,728
    GTX 980 - X5799, GS: 5,490, PS: 8,586, CS: 6,637