1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. cole2109

cole2109 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080TI
    Hard mod is not an option 4 me.
    Wtf i don't understand why NV doesn't solve the problem.

Cowie what about those modded bios?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks cowie for the pics! To the pro it's easy, to the noob it's science! ;)

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hey no problem bro^

cole
    Oh right
    you can just mod YOUR OWN bios for a higher limit but it will never down clock if you don't do it right which is really not the best option
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/...-970-and-980-firmware-nolimits-and-gamestable

just extact your own bios and make the same changes as the bios here your really going to have to play with it like i had to on my 750's to find what you are looking for.

read volts with a dmm if you can because funny things happen to voltage from the cards to the software
    I am not on sli atm was testing a 970 but I really did not mess around with sli for long

4. cole2109

cole2109 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080TI
    Hmmm this can be a problem. Is there any guide how to? I never modified bios.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    try the bios in the link for your card see how that goes follow the directions

6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Owners of Gigabyte 980 G1 what's your stock boost speed at firestrike ? One of my cards boosts to 1380 but on SLI, seems that the second card holds boost back to 1354 ? Second card is lazy ?

7. Kaapstad

Kaapstad Member Guru

GPU:
    4 x Titan X
    Big green and very ugly.

[​IMG]

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    Just a simple test of this G1 using AVP bench test.

Interesting how the latency improves a lot 0.4ms may not seem huge but it is.

AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
    ==========================

* Report Created: 2014-12-02 @ 00:30:31
    * Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010

*DX11 Hardware Detected*

Using Default Video Settings:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Texture Quality: 2
    Shadow Quality: 3
    Anisotropic Filtering: 16
    SSAO: ON
    Vertical Sync: OFF
    DX11 Tessellation: ON
    DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
    DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Summary: Default 980 G1 (1) 1329/1380 @60C

Number of frames: 26876
    Average Frame Time: 3.9ms
    Average FPS: 256.3

Benchmark Summary: (2)1500/7500 @60-65C

Number of frames: 28668
    Average Frame Time: 3.7ms
    Average FPS: 273.3

Benchmark Summary: (3)1600/8000 @65-70C

Number of frames: 30200
    Average Frame Time: 3.5ms
    Average FPS: 289.8

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI h²o ROG Swift
  10. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

11. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
  12. Plissken

Plissken Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Hey guys, I jumped the nVidia ship with GTX 980 for the first time in about nine years. With the suggestion of my supplier I bought the Asus Strix model, even though I was planning on getting the MSI Gaming model earlier. Not sure if one of them has an advantage over the other.

Actually values on the overclocking section of Guru's Asus GTX 980 Strix review page were spot-on for me. I fixed the values at 1350 core/7500 mem without adjusting voltage and I think I'll stick with that. When I go above those values, games start freezing/glitching out with blue marks on the screen. The overclock gives me a 10-fps-boost on Unigine Heaven 4 (1080, 8xAA, extreme settings) with the results being 75.3 average fps/1887 points. The GPU never goes above 75-76 degrees at those values (with the fan speed set to auto, usually working at 25%). Works as cool as it can be in my mid-tower case and reasonably silent as well.

I'm quite frankly impressed with Strix's overclocking performance as I wasn't expecting anything at all. Even though the card comes with some factory overclocking out of the box, there's a little headroom for extra overclocking that you can benefit from. And all you have to do is to install a software like MSI afterburner and pull two buttons slightly to the right without messing with the voltage or anything else, and you get your free, additional power for your GPU. Super easy and safe to do as Strix has a terrific cooling system on itself as far as I can observe.

Here's question though, as I'm fairly new to overclocking. There is a power limit slider on the MSI afterburner interface. I know what it does, when you increase the value you basically allow your GPU to drain more power from the PSU than it's meant to do. I read somewhere that allowing your GPU to work above 100% gives you an fps increase in games as the gpu can constantly work at its boost speeds when you do that. Is that true at all? I set mine to %105 just in case, would that harm the GPU in any way, and would I lose the overclocking performance when I set it to 100% (would it downclock itself to default clock/mem speeds and render my overclocking useless when set to %100)?

Thanks in advance and see you guys around.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    As far as I've understood, some (or most) cards allow a mild to medium overclock on stock voltage and power target(100% slider). To get higher overclocks out of your card you have to increase voltage and power target (move the slider) to keep things stable under load. So if you want the highest overclock possible with your card, you would have to increase voltage and power target over 100%, or your card might crash/games freeze/drivers crash/whatever.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  14. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
  15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    Nice.

I wonder what score you'd get with 40 Pcie lanes. Do you think you would get more if the clocks were the same on both chips?

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great score.You can do better.J/K.It's a good first run.Good luck in getting over 23K.

17. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    Thanks man, and thanks for the bios flashing help. I'm hoping to get to the 23k mark. There's only one score ahead of me in the hall of fame with the same 5820k CPU, I'll have that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  18. moparbjt

moparbjt Active Member

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Come on Ragingun, you can do it. make that ASRock work We all have Faith in ya:wanker:

19. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    WHAM! There it is!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4984431?

Looks like I'm 9 places below "Pluto"-39th vs. me in 48th for SLI in firestrike- who's the only 5820k user that beat my score. However, my cards are done spent, they were starting to artifact just a bit where they were for this run. Maybe a modded bios??? Gerard, little help lol!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  20. moparbjt

moparbjt Active Member

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Congratulation Ragingun I new you could do it :funny: