GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You don't have to keep posting the same review over and over again. I'd report you for trolling but I won't. I find you amusing.

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  3. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
    As i said, you have no idea, sadly.

The GTX980 is a very good card overall, but the performance increase is :grin:
    Non-existent ! Come on , its a new generation. I except a little bit more, lol

Please, be a little more objective ! OMG :bang:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I am and 780Ti beating (albeit 10%) performance for $150 less with 1GB more VRAM and uses 20% less power. Yeah I want the older, slower, more expensive, hotter, and less efficient card.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Why are you even in a thread about 980 benchmarking rambling on about the virtues of the 780Ti while telling people they should be objective?

Many of the reviews out there do not support the conclusions drawn by the one review that you keep reposting and I'm assuming that one review is 'objective' because it fits in with your butthurt narrative, right :rolleyes:

Also, if this is the performance the 980 can achieve, I'd say we are in for some very fast cards before too long (more than likely with an absolutely ridiculous price tag) but fast cards nonetheless :)

6. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:

Yeah if you compare 870MHZ against 1200MHZ !

Cuda Cores GTX980 - 2040
    Cuda Cores 780Ti - 2880 !!!

Memory Bus Width GTX980 : 256-bit
    Memory Bus Width GTX780 : 384-bit

Transistor Count GTX980 : 5,2
    Transistor Count GTX780 : 7,1 !!!

Manufacturing Process
    TSMC 28nm (GTX780TI & GTX980)

....same clock speed and GTX780Ti is faster.
    Any questions ?

7. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yeah, when are you leaving this thread ;)

8. klown07

klown07 Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    I think I hear birds chirping....or something......

9. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
    No, because the benchmark is fair (same clock speed) ! Best review, the truth !

A GTX770 with 1070MHZ is sometimes faster than GTX780 (reference - 875MHZ)

Ask yourself why ?
    So hard to understand ? :question:

10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This isn't the relevant thread for this discussion.

Nobody cares about your butthurt little fairy tales here, we're all enjoying our new cards.

Go start a new thread if you want to discuss this horsesh!t but it has no place here.

And as much as you keep telling everyone to 'understand'; it appears that it is you who is having comprehension problems.

11. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
    I say only what i think.
    Its a very good card but not fast enough for a new Generation imo, thats all.
    I wish you all much fun with the GTX980. :kissin:

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Cuda cores or stream processors are normally the more the merrier. Maybe with keplar but not so much with Maxwell as its been proved.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Still people comparing GK110 with GM204. :rolleyes:

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Different architecture so you can't compare CUDA core count directly becaue Maxwell has more efficient ones. Maxwell is designed to run at faster clock speed. It's not all GTX 780 (Ti) cards can even reach 1,2 GHz. Generally Maxwells can run at least 200 MHz higher while using way less power.

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Except the EVGA SCs it seems although I guess they start from a higher point.

Comparing clock to clock with a previous generation is utterly pointless. GFLOPS/watt would be much more relevant.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    How does the Power Limit % work?

I have set mine to its maximum of 125% and when I ran 3DMark Fire Strike this morning with the Afterburner OSD active I noticed that the Power Limit hit 117% at one point and was regular running over 100%. The core clock was a constant 1,367 Hz with temperatures of around 65 C (using a manual fan profile). I scored 11,265, which is higher than my previous 11,150 with a Power Limit of 100%.

So my questions are:

1. Should I leave Power Limit on 125%?
    2. Are there any potential issues with leaving it on that setting other than (obviously) higher power draw?
    3. Does raising the Power Limit increase the stability of the core boost?
    4. Is it possible to overclock without raising the Power Limit or does leaving it on 100% limit your potential overclock?

Thanks.

17. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    You compare Kepler architecture against Maxwell :bang:

18. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Dual GTX 980's should be incoming sometime tomorrow. I'll be sure to post single GPU and multi GPU benchmark results vs my current single GTX 680 for reference.

I really wanted to benchmark Metro LL but the benchmark tool keeps crashing on me for some reason. Though I do intend to post Unigine Heaven and Tomb Raider results. There will be variations, not only comparing single to dual GPU but also 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p results on first a stock i5-2500k to test any bottleneck and the same i5-2500k OC'd to 4.5GHz.

19. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    So mine finally showed up in the mail today but I can't get it to work. When I install it I can't even get into the bios, I just get "B2" displayed on a black screen which I guess is a vga error message, and then after a minute just a blinking cursor. I put my old GTX 570 back in and it works fine (I'm using it right now), I flashed the latest bios for my motherboard (MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)), still can't get it to boot with the new card.

Anyone have any ideas? I've never had this happen with a new gfx card before, hoping there's something I can do besides RMA

*Edit seems like some people have fixed this issue by flashing newer graphics card bios, but I can't seem to find any official 980 bios on evga or anywhere. Only bios I can find are some custom "skyn3t" bios, and I really don't wanna put those on my brand new $570 card and void the warranty

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Generally whenever I see an alpha+numeral on my MSI Z77A, it's when the bios is loading just before the MSI splash screen. B2 is one of the alpha/numerics that I see scanning by whenever I need to reseat my SSD, so I'd assume it's normal for that to show. But it's definitely not normal for it to hang on B2 for a minute then go to a blinking cursor.

When you see the B2 screen try hitting the DEL key to enter the motherboard BIOS. If you can enter the BIOS try restoring the settings to manufacturer default, even if it's currently set to default. But if your system doesn't enter the BIOS settings, then the card is likely faulty.

Do you happen to have a secondary computer laying around that you could test the card in?