GTX 970 w/XP64

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Radartek, May 27, 2015.

1. Radartek

Radartek New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970/4GB
    I had purchased a GTX 970 a few months ago only to find out NVIDIA no longer supported it with XP64 drivers. I researched for while and found some info on this forum that was inconclusive. But I did find some useful info that I decided to try out. The first was this. I had to find what the device info was for the GTX 970. It is listed below for the GTX 970 and GTX 980. I downloaded XP64 GTX 660 drivers version 352.86. The below info was added to the nv4_dispi.inf for the NVIDIA GTX 660 drivers version 352.86

Device info below for GTX 980 and GTX 970

; NVIDIA Windows XP (64 bit) Display INF file
    ; Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

NVIDIA_DEV.13C0 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980"
    NVIDIA_DEV.13C2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"

I added the above device info at the bottom of the [STRINGS] area.

In the [Manufacturer]section
    %NVIDIA% = NVIDIA_Devices, NTamd64.5.1, NTamd64.6.0
    the following was added:

%NVIDIA_DEV.13C2% = Section008, PCI/VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2

I then ran the setup, the GTX 970 was recognized by my XP64 operating system, drivers were installed and it is running flawlessly so far. Also I don't know if this is important or not, but I did not install GeForce Experience when it asked me. I unchecked that box.

I'm rather happy this worked and am sure that I can modify any future driver to work with my GTX 970 while I'm running XP64. Hope that was clear, and I apoligize if this solution was already posted somewhere else.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Why on earth would you need a card that powerful when you're running XP? You can't even use DX10, let alone DX11...

3. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    WTF u are using a Ferrari F430 with 87 octane petrol. Please switch to W8.1 and if u don't like the UI, install Classic Shell and problem solved

4. juanchacin

juanchacin New Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 660 Ti
    @Radartek You got to be joking!!!, WinXP with a GTX970???

Real question; Why you keep using WinXP?

5. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    you modded inf (include strings gtx 970 or 980) save and install probality support if you create inf correct

6. General Lee

General Lee High-tech Redneck

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 650tiBOOST 2GB
    Back up your data, wipe your HDD, and install a newer operating system. You should at least be running Windows 7 by now. Don't bother with Vista. You'll have a more stable OS, better performance, and you'll be able to install more RAM without having to tinker with anything.

It's good that you got XP to recognize your GPU, and the extra RAM, but you're going to really need to update your OS anyways. Running an old OS that is no longer being supported makes your system prone to being compromised, which puts other systems at risk as well. Besides, most games these days require a more recent 64-bit OS.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N108TAORUS X-11G
    In the next few months Windows 10 should be released. So definitively recommend going straight to that!

8. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    Windows XP ha ha ha