GTX 970 VRAM allocation bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Milan, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    I need to have QA take a look but so far the only comparisons that seem to be shown in this thread are three games, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs and AC:U. I couldn't watch the video of Hitman because the share site is blocked on NVIDIA network.

2. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Which filesharing website would you prefer? I'm sure someone can reupload it there.

Shadow of Mordor as well. Ultra settings 1080p, the GTX980 allocates 4000mb where a 970 only allocates 3550~3627mb at the max. I'm sure this and the Hitman Absolution is very reproducible on your end.

Same with Skyrim, wont go beyond 3570MB at 1080p, unless you push it to extreme settings like 5k(as someone said it earlier in the thread).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. Vanquo

Vanquo New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970 4GB
    I'd like to chime in with my own test concerning dx9/dx11.

So I started up Planetside 2 which is a Directx 9 game. Uses about a little over 1GB VRAM at 1080p on my 970. While it was running, I started up PCSX2 emulator with the gdsx renderer set to DirectX 11, 5x native resolution and 8x MSAA.
    Result: 3600-3700 VRAM usage with both Planetside and the emulator was a stuttery mess down to around 5 FPS. No matter what I do I just couldn't get it to use more than 3700MB.

Now I switched up the emulators settings to DirectX 9, same res and MSAA.
    Result: 4GB VRAM usage and Planetside runs at 25 FPS and emulated game was at 10 FPS.

Could be an Issue with DirectX 11?

Edit: Nevermind, seemed that test I did was flawed somehow. When I ran the emulator standalone I couldn't push it past 3600MB in DX9 mode. I just get a black screen if I use a too high resolution or MSAA... Also no way I can get planetside to use 4GB by itself even with DSR and AA.

edit2: okay so after fiddling with the emulator, I found a custom resolution that actually displayed the game on screen and consumes 3856MB VRAM at most and runs at around 15 FPS with DX9. BUT... when I ran it in DX11 it consumed even more VRAM at 3870MB at 10 FPS...

edit3: tried with World of Warcraft this time instead of planetside since WoW has both dx9/dx11 modes. Did different combinations of DX9/11 when run with pcsx2 emulator. Sorta similar results with DX9 mode having a slightly higher FPS when consuming 3800MB VRAM but still unplayable and stuttery.

Here my takeway from it... I think the issue is not if any game can consume all of the VRAM, but the performance degradation when VRAM usage is over 3600MB at all. That's the main problem isn't it? or is it... I seem to remember playing AC:unity and FC4 and they ran fine using that much VRAM... I don't wanna install those games again to confirm...

So yeah... not a good test but take it however you will...

4. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    In cod:aw i get massive stutering as soon as it starts to consume more than 3.6GB, unplayable even with framerates above 80 fps.

5. disco

disco Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit Dual 3060Ti
    I put FC 4 with DSR at 4k and used 8xmsaa, 1-2fps :D
    Game used all of 4gb VRAM.
    When I turned off MSAA, it was about 3,6-3,7gb and game was playable.
    MSI gaming 970.

In my native 1080p, game uses 3,6-3,8gb of VRAM and FPS goes from 50-60, more closer to 60. Evereything maxed out, only MSAA x2.
    FC4 ver 1,5.

6. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    Tested FC4 a few more times with a single card. Was hitting 3.8GB every run @ MSAA 2x and 4x. I can only hit 3.5GB in SLI though.

7. KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Hi.

When I have a pagefile.sys off, MSI Kombustor test crash due to lack of memory, allocates only 2,7GB VRAM.

When I set the swap file to 6 GB, test allocates 3.9 GB of VRAM. No crash.

What swap file has to do with the graphics card memory?

Try out.

8. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    It errors out around 3.8GB of vram when I disable the swap file. Maybe Kombuster is trying to allocate all the vram for itself and not leaving any remaining for Windows? Maybe Window's system required vram could be forced in to the swap file normally?

9. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    here is video from moded skyrim in 1920x1080 +8xMSAA.Game stutter because not enough Vram but Vram usage is only 3500-3600MB
    http://www.yyy.com/video/x2ejqt1_skyrim-gtx970-8xmsaa
    yyy = d a i l y m o t i o n
    Edit:It looks like censure to video link?Why my link dont work?

10. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Member

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    Overclock.net thread here.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I really hope it's a driver/bios issue that will be fixed, otherwise i'm done with NVIDIA.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    It would be nice to see confirmation/explanation from Nvidia. What exactly is happening there behind the curtain.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So from what i'm seeing is that it actually only has a gimped "4GB" vRam? Or is it some bug thats preventing the last 300mb to be used?

14. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    I really hope this "bug" get´s sorted, been on the red team for so long and i just switched to the green side until GM200\390X gets out in the market. If this is a limitation on actual hardware i will think twice on my next card unless GM200 realy blows 390X out of the water.

15. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    If this para is to be believed, I don't think its fixable. One person I know has a low gpu usage bug with the 970 and nvidia so far is silent on that issue, most likely they'll be silent on this issue. I hope ManuelG has some news for us.

16. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    If this para is to be believed, I don't think its fixable. One person I know has a low gpu usage bug with the 970 and nvidia so far is silent on that issue, most likely they'll be silent on this issue. I hope ManuelG has some news for us.[/QUOTE]

I really hope not, i bought a 4GB card, not a 3.6 one, if this is true (probably not) i will want a refund.

17. KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Put on the list COD:AW, new Wolfenstein and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Crash to desktop due to lack of memory on max settings, swap file off. When file in on and set 6GB, games stutter, COD most offender.

18. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
  19. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
  20. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU: