GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    Blocked 3090 FE
    Btw u preloading gta5 yet steam still havnt let me

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Nah, I'm gonna wait for all the hoopla to blow over. I'm getting really sick of everyone and their dog talking about this game at the moment tbh. I'll probably pick it up in a month or so.

3. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    I just got an EVGA 970 SSC ACX 2.0 card.
    Comming from an EVGA GTX 660.

What a difference :D huge upgrade.

I have noticed some coil whine, its about as loud as the outgoing 660 with fans @50%, but only under hard loading, most of the games I am playing right now are not very demanding so the card doesnt get loaded hard except to bench.

Significantly cooler than my old 660 as well. Very surprised with maxwell efficiency.

Card will do ~1400 boost, but the rams wont go much higher than stock with this particular card.

4. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Scooby!

I just picked up a second 970. In 20 years of building computers, I've never done SLI. I don't have a clue. LOL!

I assume I want to skip the 2nd pci-e slot, so the two cards have some breathing room in between them?

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Check your motherboard's manual to see which PCIe slots are x16 or at least x8 when two of them are in use. I think that your motherboard supports x16 or x8 when ANY of them are in use but check to be sure.

6. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x16 or x16/x8/x16 or x16/x8/x8/x8, black)

That's the listed capability.

Yeah, it looks like the manual says to skip a slot to get dual x16.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  7. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Got it installed. Woohoo!

[​IMG]

Ready from some cranked up W3! :)

8. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Should prolly install RAM first ;)

9. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Wha? 16gb not enough?! lol!

10. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    he did,he got ram on both sides of his cpu its the motherboard design :)

11. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yep! Socket 2011 baby!

12. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    What's funky is, after I installed the second card, and booted my pc up, windows blue screened on me. I had to boot up in safe mode, let it detect new hardware, and then reboot normal. Everything came back up fine after that.

Weird.

13. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Not so weird,it happens. The first time I used SLI first I uninstalled drivers with DDU and then boot pc. Don't worry though,in few days we all going to install new drv for GTA 5,hehehe. (I advise you to use DDU).

14. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 3090
    So I got myself Zotac 970 Amp! Omega and I'm kind of disappointed with the card. It runs hot. Even at stock settings it gets to 80C and starts throttling which is weird since my MSI 780 didn't go past 71 even while OC'd to the max. The clockspeeds don't matter at all considering the temperatures. I've had to add another fan, re align everything in my case and upped the power/temp limit to keep the card from throttling. I've already sent Zotac an email about it but they haven't answered yet.

The funniest thing is, if I OC the clock to its max(boost at 1484, at 1500 and above it starts artifacting no matter the voltages) I can keep the card temperatures lower since I have the max fps set to 90 with rivatuner. That way the card sits less at the 98-100 gpu useage range thus lowering temperatures. The card is running at stock voltages.

More gripes about the card. The max powerlimit is 106%. Only way to get to 110% is by using the Zotac's own Firestorm program(which is crap, ill explain later). And even in Firestorm you have to jump through hoops to get it at 110%, but even then I'm not 100% convinced it's actually at 110% not at 106% because the program is so buggy.

Zotac's Firestorm program is horrible. I can't get the clockspeeds to save half the time. The profiles don't work and keep resetting themselves. The only cool thing about it is the Gamer function that shows in realtime the GPU power draw in watts and the amps.

EDIT: Got a reply from Zotac(removed my info):

Dear Sir,
    Under full load, the 8xoC GPU temperature is normal.
    B.rgds
    Peter Tang
    support@zotac.com

To
    Zotac Support/PCPartner@PCPartner
    cc

Subject
    Safe Operating Temps for GTX 970?

Hello!
    I have purchased your GTX 970 Amp! Omega edition. The card seems to run really hot. During graphic intensive games(Battlefield 4 for example) the gpu temperature goes up to 80-82 degrees Celcius. This is with default clockspeeds and auto fan mode. Are these temperatures ok?
    My case is Antec P183 v3 and my previous card was a MSI GTX 780 Gaming OC and that card never got to 72 degrees even while overclocked. My thoughts were that the 970 was supposed to run cooler than the 780.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Howdy Scoob.

Long time since I've posted here and very late to the party but I just bought an ASUS Strix GTX 970. I had been running Crossfire 5870's since 2010 and not playing too many games that needed much power anyway. One of the cards died though so I grabbed an upgrade so I can play GTAV.

Coming from such old GPU's this 970 is a bit of a revelation to me. The price to performance ratio is great and the silence this card offers is just the icing on the cake. Very happy with it!

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ah hey, nice to see you back dude. Glad you're enjoying the 970.

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Thanks man :)

18. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    I'm lovin' my KFA2 GeForce GTX 970 OC Silent Infin8 Black Edition" but overclocking not so much

It boosts 1367 out of the box, compared to 1329 advertised, but core does not like being overclocked at all... Only manage 1402 100% stable with boost, can bench at 1467 but not 100% long periods. another thing i'm annoyed with is voltage locked completely, increasing voltage in AB makes no odds still 1.2120 max GPUZ reads. even with +37MV (not fussed about bios modding 'JUST YET) tbh i think i'm reaching max TDP though, I noticed it seems pretty close to 125 when benching overclocked.

I think low ASCII rating plays a part sadly only 65.1%

Can't complain gaming wise i went from an AMD 7850 to GTX 970 : ) and wow.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4457110 - DAMN YOU 10K! :( only if i could get 1500 on core and 2000 on mem lol soon as i get 2k on memory i get artifacts. (samsung)

[​IMG]
    -So low minimum FPS, only loop it once so soon as i get to night scene slight stutter

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  19. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Hey try playing with the cpu a little if you feel you need more performance. If you are running stock clocks overclocking it a little would provide far more performance than pushing the 970 more.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Heaven has a glitch where some times when you start the bench it will report a very low FPS.

Also CPU has minimal effect on Heaven scores.

On 3DMark if you can bump your memory to 1866 from 1600 you will hit 10k.