GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DrBoss

DrBoss Member

GPU:
    SLI MSI 670 Power Edition
    Two MSI 970 Golden Edition's arrived this week. Highest stable OC i've managed at stock Voltage in SLI is: Core @ 1514 MHz (+208) and VRAM @ 8610 MHz (+400). I've noticed voltage fluctuation on both cards when under full load. I suspect the cards are throttling because of lack of power. I've read other threads where people have underclocked their cards and the voltage has remained constant under load.

I'm going to jump into the BIOS this weekend and see what the TDP, PCI-E rail, PSU 1 rail, PSU 2 rail, and the Power Target are set at. I suspect they are set below the 300watt max.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    My Fire Strike score with new Zotac 970. I don't ever benchmark but since it's my first Nvidia since I can't remember, so I gave it a go:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5546164

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    VRAM @ +400 should be 7800 MHz.

4. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Yea, VRAM @8610MHz, good luck with that.

5. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Hi there guys,I have EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 and I must say I'm very happy with it.It's performance is great ,it runs cool and relatively quiet.It also overclocks very well ,I managed to get it at 1524 core and 8000 on the mem and it is stablein every game and benchmark I've tried.I have two questions:
    1# Is it safe to OC the memory that high,I'm asking because I don't know how the VRM is been cooled,does it make contact with the heatsink or it is been cooled by the fans.
    2# The stock BIOS is set to turn on the fans at 67c so I suppose it is safe to assume that the card is designed to operate within the range of 67-75c.I'm asking because atm my fans are set to 50% and the temp never goes over 65c but I'd like to lower the fans a bit.At 40% RPM the temp is around 65-70c wich have to be safe bus as I said before I'm more concerned about overheating the memory .Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I just recently got mine and it hard stutters in League of Legends because it keeps switching to low power mode. I had to set a custom profile to keep it at regular frequency so it stops stuttering.

That and if I uncap the frame limit and it blasts up to 500fps the thing sounds like its VRMs are going to explode or something, it shrieks like a banshee. I was hoping this 4G model wouldn't do that, but just like every other card I've ever had when it's into hundreds of frames it squeals. It's still about 20 times quieter than my HD 6970 was when running 500fps though.

For now I'm using Afterburner to cap it at 200fps to prevent the squealing.

7. akula

akula New Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 580 GTX 1.5GB
    I currently have 2x Geforce 580 GTX's and am debating an upgrade

The Evolve beta runs like crap, 20-30 fps on ultra @ 1080P. SLI is not supported in this game, nor is it supported in my favorite game, Company of Heroes 2.

Should I upgrade to a 980 or a 970 from these cards considering I currently have a P8P67 Deluxe with an i7 2600 @ 4.1 GHz? Or should I wait for 8GB version (if they are coming at all?)

Or is 580 GTX SLI ---> 970 just not enough of an upgrade?

Cheers!

8. Vipu2

Vipu2 Master Guru

GPU:
    1070ti
    Its normal, not sure if there is any GPU that doesnt start making sounds at very high fps.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I experience the same thing with TL and TL2. I run the games with v-sync on since they're so easily rendered.

10. zais

zais Member Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

GTX 970 VRAM allocation 3GB only SteamOS?
    Nvidia would be so nice if they could fix this issue and relase generic 4k hdmi 2.0 driver 60fps nvidia sync updates

11. greentea

greentea New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    Go to the "System" tab and it should show as "Video memory: 4.0 GB".

> i.imgur.com/6StKSc4.png

It's probably just a bug on that page with how it retrieves the information. :)

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    how much faster would 2 970 in sli be compared to 2 780 sli.

I was thinking about getting 2 970s with reference coolers.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  13. zais

zais Member Guru

GPU:
    yes it does write 4gb, are games have support the 4 gb or some software just read as 3gb that seems the problem

14. piiman

piiman New Member

GPU:
    gtx 970 4 gig
    I am having this very same problem with the Asus gtx 970 and that link is corrupted. Can someone please re upload?
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :)

15. bwat47

bwat47 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    the card is not 'only allocating 3gb for steam os'. this is obviously a steam os bug, its reading it incorrectly. nvidia isn't going to fix a bug with steamos, report a bug to valve.

16. FarCryDX

FarCryDX Member

GPU:
    EVGA Ref GTX 980
    I've been a part of this club since last the weekend before last, although I'd advise against getting the PNY 970 due to the cheap feeling shroud and incredibly loud coil whine that makes its way through my studio monitors. Runs like a champ though. :D

17. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
    Im trying to flash my msi gtx970 bios, but nvflash just crashes for me. I have the card deactivated and everything, but it just doesnt work and simply crashes... GPU-Z has no issues accessing the card for a memory dump, so why isnt nvflash working?

P.S. running nvflash 5.196, new bios and nvflash both provided by MSI.

18. palvo23

palvo23 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 4G OC
    Gotta say 970's pretty powerful but...

Anybody experiencing sutters in CoD: AW? I have to turn the textures down or it will stutter like there's no tmrw.

Edit: nvm I plugged in more ram and solved problem

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  19. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970

try turning off Shader Pre-load Options from the settings menu,fixed my stuttering,disabling Cache Spot Shadow Maps and Cache Sun Shadow Maps also helps

20. palvo23

palvo23 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 4G OC
    Yea that too

Also, how much system RAM do you need to properly utilize this card? This is my upgrade from ooooold gtx480, so I'm kinda noobie