GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Here are some update on BIOS for the MSI 970 Gaming, no release notes on the changes. (also can be found in MSI's official forums, maybe later on via updater).
    ***As always if your card is working fine, you probably dont need it. For those who want to tinker with it or play around with it, flash at your own risk!*** :)

[​IMG]

http://www.mediafire.com/download/am1q5r21ptlp818/NV316MH.185.zip

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    970's have been selling "like hot cakes".....

The shop I'm dealing with to get mine, only managed to find 1 card left among all their suppliers. Fortunately it's the GTX970 GAMING 4G and I should have it in a few days.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Killer01WS6

Killer01WS6 Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970 4G SLI
    Where you having issues?
    Can you tell any differences..
    My 2 are work like a dream..I'd be hard pressed to flash unless good Doc on what it does and why.
    but interested for obvious reasons...

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Ah here is more info, sorry the post on here was less detailed:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395721&page=2

and

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=252080.0

Pretty much got the .185 from MSI's forums.
    They work with any 970 Gaming, Hynix or Samsung (user tested)
    182 fixed fans, 184, 185.. no clue, it wasnt disclosed, could be UEFI like previous but they didnt say and 184/185 have the same version number just different date/checksum so no one really knows unless you message them yourself.

If they're working fine just the way you like it no need to flash, newer isnt always better :p but if you want to have the latest BIOS or just tinkering around with it then do so at your own risk.

EDIT: I was messing with .185 and noticed its actually accepting my fan edits now.
    600RPM idle!.. before (.182) it wouldn't and gave me 700-800RPM.

http://i.imgur.com/VPPS7Sd.jpg :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, do the 970's support UEFI Fast Boot?

Nevermind. Mine does.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  8. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    So, possibly as soon as tomorrow I am going to be the proud owner of two evga gtx 970 ftw's :)

Looking forward to the change as i've used predominantly amd and crossfire (9800XT, 4850CF,5850CF and now 7970ghzCF) and havent dealt with NV since the 8800GTS 320MB lol...actually technically I had a 9800GT I used as a dedicated Physx card alongside the 5850's back in the day.

So yeah, it's been a while :) I managed to catch a great deal on the FTW's so I was like "F*ck it" Here I come Nvidia. Looking forward to smoother gameplay, shadowplay and eventually will upgrade to a gsync monitor too. Looking forward to seeing what these cards are capable of. Will post results once I've got them. Cheers guys.

9. justsomeguy6575

justsomeguy6575 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Got my 970 G1 a week ago. say rev 1.0 on the card but I trying to figure out what ram it has, samsung or hynix. Anyone know why GPU-Z doesn't show which it is?

[​IMG]

Edit:
    I just tried nvidia inspector and it shows the ram as hynix :bang: was hoping it was samsung... oh well

10. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Hynix memory is honestly strange. At 3870(+365) I see 0 artifacts, yet it crashes sometimes, very random. Dropping to 3780 (+275) solves crashing completely. Damn if only I could tune GPU memory like RAM.

The other thread about VRAM allocation bug in GTX970 seems spot on.. When skyrim gets to 3500 it indeed gets choppy. Same for SoM but less choppy. It creeps upto 3.6 but VERY slowly, and Call of Duty Ghosts pushes it to 3.8Gb, Watch_Dogs stays at 3.4Gb . ACUnity only increases VRAM above 3.3 with 4xmsaa which makes it 3.8gb. I haven't tried an older driver, maybe will try launch driver.

11. justsomeguy6575

justsomeguy6575 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    I seem to be able to get to +400. At 500 I was getting white flashes in heaven but valley and furmark didn't seem to show any artifacts. Backed off to 400 and all seems fine. Haven't really played many games yet other than borderlands for maybe 20 minutes. Haven't touched the core clock yet.

It's very frustrating what these companies seem to do. When they first release a card most of the reviews show nice overclocking numbers and most reports from early purchasers seem to mirror the review results and sometimes better. Then once the word is out that it's a good clocking card they pull some crap like using cheaper ram and everyone else get screwed. I know we are only guaranteed the advertised clocks but it sure does seem to be a deliberate thing they are doing since they know a lot of people that buy the "premium" version of the card are buying it at least partially because of those early reports of good clocking. Ok I'm done ranting.

12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I really do not think the overclock matters a great deal with some of these cards.Of course we all want the highest overclocks to feel you got a great deal but it is not always the fastest when gaming with higher overclocks.

EG:I got me two of the 970GTX G1 Gigabyte cards.When I tested them alone here what my results were in lets say valley benchmark.

1.970GTX G1 Gigabyte with samsung ram Clocked 1540/7800
    Valley FPS 65

2.970GTX G1 Gigabyte with hynix ram Clocked 1605/7800
    Valley FPS 63.5

The lower clocked card was faster,could be a few things but they still run good.A Higher clocking card is not always faster.

When in SLI overclocking results are also not that dramatic either with a few more Mhz.

EG:Some 970GTX Gigabyte G1 SLI on Metro Last Light(Original Game) a total difference of 3.7 FPS not really much when you think about it.
    From default to almost 1600 on core overclock.

1392/7600 started at 1405 dropped to 1392 on core
    [​IMG]

1506/7600
    [​IMG]

1538/7600
    [​IMG]

1558/7600
    [​IMG]

1593/7600 Higher overclock less FPS
    [​IMG]

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    8ghz was never really guarantied, one review site quote

So they gained 21GB/s,.. Its something but not much.

Also sometimes high ram OC can cause these stutters by some games, even if its artefact free.. And if Samsung managed 7.8ghz on avg, then Hynix usually half of that on avg ~7.4ghz.

Imho you will see better perf. if you OC gpu more, keep ram 100-200mhz max

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  15. justsomeguy6575

justsomeguy6575 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
    Well maybe I was expecting more than I should have. I was going off the review on this site where it seemed like they hit 8000 pretty easy. Also seen lots of people on several forums saying they were hitting numbers that high, sometimes a little higher and most all seemed to have samsung ram. Just seems like if they wanted to save a little money on the cards they should just use the cheaper ram from the start. I probably won't go much over +200 on ram anyways even if the card can. I agree in real world games a couple hundred MHz at these high clocks doesn't make a huge difference.

I haven't really looked for benchmarks comparing same card same clock but different brand ram. Interesting you got a higher score with slightly lower clock. While there could be other factors involved it would be interesting to know if maybe there are different timings for the samsung vs hynix that could make up for the lower clock.

I just haven't had much luck in the silicon lottery lately. I tend not not buy the newest card or chip when it first comes out and wait 3 or 4 months before jumping in and was just thinking manufactures maybe start cutting corners the longer the product has been out. I used to always buy amd cpu's, c2d 6420 was my first intel and it was just a quick change of the multiplier and went from 2.2Ghz stock to 3.2Ghz on stock cooler. Those were great clockers.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I tend to overclock for benching and run stock clocks for gaming, unless the OC proves viable, which is rare. On my 660's, the OC wasn't worth it. For the 170mhz gain, I only managed to gain 1-2fps in the few games I actually play.

Just because a game doesn't benefit from an overclock, doesn't mean the overclock isn't effective. Just means it doesn't benefit a game.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I hear ya.For me I buy stuff when it comes out,makes no difference even if you wait months most of the time .I suck at the silicone lottery also.
    I can not tell you how many high end GPU's I bought and never had a golden one.

Now these 970's cards I traded with a fellow 3dguru member for a 980 GTX and low and behold on of the cards are golden,but in reality it really does not make much difference when gaming.

Like I pointed out with the higher clocked card was slower and it could be just the timings/error corrections.

All in all though the 980/970 cards are good card's.There are all kinds of PC's with different setups which give different results.
    I can also say the 980 GTX cards I had all hit 1500/8000 but one of the 970 cards do not go higher than +300 mem for game stable situation. Which is still frigging awesome for gaming.

So if you did not get a real lemon , I would find the sweet spot for the card and just have fun gaming.
    If your a bencher ,sell the card and try with a different card.I know its a lot of money to invest and selling and buying card's are not for everyone.

18. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    hynix better than samsung. trust me samsung really not lasting at all. mine card is samsung but i didn't OC

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  19. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    I just recently got a 970 and was doing some overclocking this weekend. I got to a stable overclock of 1401 with little to no work but bf4 and fc4 both hate it they crash after a while and temps are fine. bf4 even crashes with a slight overclock of +55 or 1321. Anyone have any ideas or are the games Im playing just no good for overclocking?

also +10% tdp.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Is 1401 your base clock or boost clock?