GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
  2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I got my 970 G1's not long after they came out with in 2-3 weeks of release, I had to pay an £40 premium extra on each card due to demand, although after reading through the guru3d reviews of the G1 970 and G1 980 I decided the G1 970 was the sweet spot performance/cost, these G1's as far as I can see have custom build board with stronger parts over the ref design so for me its money well spent regaurdless of the total £80 premium I paid for the cards. loving the G1's worth every penny quality products as are MSI and ASUS cards.

3. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 sniper
    ordered my gtx970 today
    should be here next week.cant wait!

4. MoSTi

MoSTi Member

GPU:
    Strix 970
    hi all,
    to lower the vrm temps on strix i put 2*80 mm fans direct on the backplate. with custom fan profile it works. now im worried that the weight or vibration of the fans is bad for the pcie?contact?.do you think its ok like that or better ideas?
    sorry for my english

5. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Is there some trick to getting GPU-Z/nvflash to work with this card?

I've been trying all the versions I can find and nvflash will just rail a single core *forever* until I kill it in task manager.
    Even just running nvflash --list or --version just sits there doing nothing...with or without drivers loaded.

I have a G1 on a P67 motherboard(latest BIOS).
    All I want to do is edit the BIOS to lower the minimum fan speed below the hard-coded 1600rpm...nothing fancy.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Congrats! Good time to buy ^^

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Is this the trick you are looking for? Also ckeck Scooby's post # 1060

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  8. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I don't think so...no matter what I do with nvflash, it simply rails one core and does nothing until I kill it in task manager, -6 flag or not. Also, I don't want to use someone else's BIOS, I want to backup mine, modify the fan speed and reflash.

I'm assumiong that there is some incompatibility with my chipset/OS/motherboard: P67/Win8.1/MSI P67-G45.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Possible, but I'm using z68 mobo and had no issues.. I know its not the same but..

I assuming you've been able to grab your card's bios and adjust it with the Maxwell Bios Utility? Also, are you sure you're using the most current utility version as well as NVFlash?

Also, you need to make sure SLI is disabled when you perform the flashes (if applicable) and also to run NVflash with Admin elevation.

Aside from those things, I'm not sure what the problem could be..
    The steps I used to flash mine I outlined in the OP of this thread..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  10. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I've tried nvflash 5.190 and 5.196 at an elevated command prompt and nvflash does nothing.
    I *can't* backup my BIOS as nvflash does nothing but rail one core...how long is it supposed to take....over an hour, because I've left it at least that long.
    Yes, I've read your posts...that's when I started trying, I was very excited. GPU-Z(0.7.9, 0.8.0) does nothing...because nvflash does nothing.

I've even pulled my sound card out so that *only* the video card is present in the system but that hasn't helped.

I can try putting it in my other system, which is even older than a P67.

It's pretty clear that it is just me having this problem, unfortunately.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    try these , as you might not have right ones .
    It cause maxwell is different and you need to disable your vid driver in device manager before you flash .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1521334/official-nvflash-with-certificate-checks-bypassed-for-gtx-970-980

12. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    That's version 5.196...I have several downloads of that.
    I don't even get to the point of being able to flash.
    I can't save my bios, I can't --version, --check, --list, --save...unless these commands take hours to complete.
    All nvflash does on my system is rail a core(and no disk usage) until I kill it and all it ever displays on screen is:
    "NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.196)
    Modified Version by JoeDirt"
    and then nothing else no matter what command I attempt.

I don't want to derail the thread with my problems.
    Thanks, guys,

13. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Got my 970 today from Microcenter open box for $234.00. Sold my 770 to a friend for $200. WIN

14. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    That sounds like a decent deal specially if it was open box with no issues.

I just got mine the other day and put it in last night. Very happy with it so far and very silent which I was worried about coming from a HD7950 I had a waterblock on.

Which I'll be looking to sell that so hopefully I'll recoup some of the money spent.

15. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Update on my struggles with nvFlash:

I put my card in my old Core2Duo system and I was able to run nvFlash finally.
    I followed ScoobyDooby's instructions and now my card is no longer the loudest thing in my system.

Lowering the minimum fan speed in the BIOS from 34 to 10(and changing nothing else) results in Afterburner still reading 34% but now the RPMs are at 1100 instead of 1600.
    I can start hearing the fans over the rest of the system at about 1450rpm, which is 45% with the new profile.

Once the fans ramp up, the auto profile RPMs are pretty much the same as before, i.e before change 60% = ~1930rpm and after it is still ~1930rpm.
    So, this particular change has only affected the low end of the fan profile, which is perfect.

At 1100 rpm I idle at ~27 C and running Heaven benchmark @1440p with all details cranked peaked at 61 C and 1953rpm. It then takes about 5 minutes to cool down to idle temps again.

I am now *very* happy with my G1.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Interesting.. so there was something up with your p67 board, or system clearly.

glad that you were able to get it done and that my instructions helped!
    I agree too, once the base fan is adjusted the cards really shine since it quietens them so much more than stock.

17. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    love this Gpu :)

18. jamek

jamek Banned

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    I'll bay it sooner

19. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Will Rivatuner autodetect and continue to enforce my existing fan profile on my new 970, or do I have to make a new one?

20. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 G 4GB
    Goood Morning :)))))

Look like MSI/Nvidia put up a new Bios for MSI GTX970

MSI live update gave me NV316MH_182

I am tryning to update my bios, it tell me i need to make sure i dont have any Nvidia Display driver install. ?!?!?
    Doo i need to uninstall my driver, or can i just disable it in device manager. ??

[​IMG]