GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    congratz on the card. But dude, sort out your cable management!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Try different SLI bits for watch_dogs? Sadly I gave up on the game.

And did you seriously get a GTX970 as a return in RMA?

I've RMA'd my MSI card 2 times, and each time I got the same chip/pcb back with an entirely new cooler instead of fixing the fan on the old one lol.

3. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Thanks, the cable management is fine, both the card and the cpu aren't getting hotter than 60°C under the full load/usage or any other component in particular.

4. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    well got my EVGA 970 SC ( blower model not the acx ) and im very
    happy so far.

got a little coil whine only under stress tests like 3dmark, nothing in games.

btw can anyone tell me if i have a reasonable score in Firestirke ?

the score is 9300 with i5 3570 in stock.

thanks

5. Andraax

Andraax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 1507/8000
    Hello

I have bought a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 and I have what I think is a compatibility problem with the motherboard bios (Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H).
    When I turn on the computer I get the splash screen of the bios and a single beep as everything is ok but the bios screen is still on, after a few seconds another beep, another beep after some time and still another beep more later on. After the fourth beep windows start, the duration of this "process" until windows start is about 2 minuntes. If I try to enter the bios (after the fourth beep) all I get is a black screen.

Once windows has booted the card works flawlessly (It 's an OC beast )

Looking for info I found a similar problem with the launch of some gtx 770 whose firmware had to be updated to work with some motherboards.

The previous card was a GTX 670 that worked fine.

Any ideas? Anyone have found a similar problem?

P.D.: Sorry for my english

6. sokh1985

sokh1985 Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    First thanks for the answers :)

I know I would get a PSU thing, but I ruled that one out.

Never heard of CPU/GPU limitation because of the PSU. That's impossible.

Either you have instability in windows and/or specific programs, but never bottlenecking.

As for testing Watch_Dogs, I did that because that is the more demanding game I have (because of its poor optimization).

And yes, I thought I said it, but probably didn't, I tried with a single card, both cards, different settings and so on. By the way that rules out the PSU option even more in my opinion.

But whatever the configuration I still get 25-30 FPS on average.

Plus I know Watch Dogs is heavy on CPU, since Afterburner always shows my 4 cores used between 90-100%.

Like I said that is the case even with the lowest settings or the highest, with one or 2 GPUs activated, which seems plainly strange/stupid for me.

And on top of that there's the 3DMark11 issue I get 11950 whereas the SLI review of 970s published on that website shows twice the perf (20.000 something)

So that's the reason why I'm leaning towards a Software issue.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What load % does MSI AB report on the cores? Of course you could reinstall Windows and see if it helps. Are you using 343.16?

8. sokh1985

sokh1985 Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    ;)

Using 344.16

Currently doing a clean install

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    He's right though :) Could be nice to have a cleaner case? ;)

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's not that bad tbh... I just rebuilt my bro's rig (case, mobo, gpu, psu) and it took me 30 mins to tuck everything away. That's in a pretty entry level case.

11. caudu

caudu New Member

GPU:
    8800GTX + Accelero Xtreme
    Is there any GTX970 release with a PCB that could accommodate the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800 Cooler?

12. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    The next set of drivers are taking a while for these 9 series cards. Hope to see some nice improvements.

13. sokh1985

sokh1985 Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    So, just finished a new OS clean install (after all my problems)

And started to run the Firestrike 3DMark11 test with a single GTX 970 Gaming 4G on and had a 9111 Score

Running it with the SLI on, i got : 12.665.

Now I might definitely be CPU bottlenecked.

With the detailed score I can see I upped the Graphics score from 11.636 to 19.252 (which seems to me about right for a SLI difference) whereas the Physics score (which draws CPU if I'm not mistaken) went from 6.730 to 6.826

Combined Score went from 4.346 to 5.549.

As far as FPS goes, physics test gave me 21.37 fps with single GPU and 21.67 fps with SLI

14. sokh1985

sokh1985 Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    So I just thought about something :

So after seeing that 2 of my DDR3 were running @667Mhz and the two others @800Mhz, I realized that was because of me since I never realized I bought My first pack of DDR3 as 1333Mhz and the second one as 1600Mhz.

Do you think mixing both can have an impact on performance ?

I mean I'm probably gonna try removing the two 1333Mhz and try this anyways, 8Gb of RAM is still enough for most (ALL? games)

15. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I don't think you'll see much difference either way, although the 1600mhz memory would be running at the lower speed.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I still run at 8gb currently and find that its enough for anything I play.. I have not seen a game where I check in task manager that maxes out my system ram, so that should be no concern to you really.

If you are running both 1333 and 1600, your motherboard will clock your 1600 ram down to 1333 to keep them in sync with clocks. This may cause some irregularities with how your system is running, so yes, its ideal for your system to have the same ram, and if you do have different sticks, to run them at the same speeds (including timings)

That said, your 3dMark score seems realistic with that CPU.. so long as you're getting ~20k with SLI 970 your graphics are looking how they should. The Physics and Combine is CPU based, so obviously these scores can be taken with a grain of salt.

17. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Nah, there's no point since the airflow and cooling is more than fine.

Well I have some PSU pcie cables lying there on the bottom of the case, because I can't be arsed to remove them from the PSU, they are still there when I had those two gtx 670's.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Just got off of phone with EVGA's support. They're sending me a new gtx970 and I'll ship my coil-whining 970 back when I get it, on their dime. Was quick and painless. Just had to talk to upper level support.

I also RMA'd an old, dead EVGA 7950gt I had lying around. It'll be interesting to see what they send as a replacement (it's so old I never bothered 'til now.)

I tried 16gb for a month with my 4670K and there was no difference in any games or benchmarks whatsoever from 8gb. (1080p, single gtx760). Maybe different for extreme systems but not for mine.

19. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Aaaanyway, my question for today is where can I get this beautiful SLI bridge?
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/bridges
    Iam planning on buying another gtx 970 before christmas so any chance of me, a guy from Europe getting that cool looking sli bridge?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I just realised that second Gigabyte may not actually even fit so it looks like I have to buy something else when going SLI. I'm thinking Asus...