GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I've probs said it 100 times im impressed with my 970 g1's and im chuft as fook I bought them ..although at a 80 quid premium(£340 each card) although im still well glad I bought them everything runs much smoother than my old 290x crossfire setup.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yes, the G1 are superior cards for sure. I'm very pleased I got two as well and that I was able to get them as quickly after release as I did.

*** Also, for anyone who is still having issues with SLI Graphics Scores in Firestrike, I've upgraded drivers to 344.24 and just did a run and the graphics score is now where it should be ~22K (no overclock) So it was in fact a driver issue with 344.11 as I had suspected.

3. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Have you noticed any improvements in games with this driver?

Wondering if I should just wait until released for desktop cards.

4. leakydog

leakydog Member

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-448 TF III PE
    do you get this one in bf4?

[​IMG]

if so, then just turn off in-game origin in origin app

[​IMG]

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    So far going from .11 to .24

- Firestrike is corrected for graphics score (for me at least)
    - Grim Dawn is no longer featuring any weird stutter or poor performance.. its smoothed out to how it was before (but sli scaling is 40-50% each card, so broken)
    - Shadow of Mordor - Before if I used all ultra textures it was very laggy in certain situations .. no longer. Now I'm playing at 1440p, between 90-100fps and everything maxed. I still get drops though during some heavier fights, but I think that may be the game itself

TL : DR Definite improvement for me.
    I haven't tried anything else but will get back into Elite Dangerous pretty soon once I can get off my lazy butt and setup my hotas

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nice, I'm on .11 and indeed Grim Dawn stuttered a fair bit.

7. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Was considering the driver update until I decided to add a larger SSD. Cloned OS to new Samsung drive with Samsung magician and couldn't boot properly with that drive. Even with bios settings changed and even reset as suggested by others.

Just cracked it and decided to do a fresh install :(

Have to wait to play games.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Why are you guys even using .11? They released a driver (.16) almost instantly for 900 series that fixed some issues.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Because I got my 970 on release day afternoon and that was before .16 even launched. I have no issues with .11 so haven't updated.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I had to use the .16 due to SLI but I'm anxiously waiting for a new driver that will fix the bugs I have.

11. Kicek

Kicek Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
    I have a question about system startup with G1 Gaming.
    During a startup until win7 will start, the fans are spinning at 100% on this GPU. Is that normal?

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yes.

13. Beta Reverse

Beta Reverse Member

GPU:
    G1 970
    Sadly, yes it is.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I just did this last night actually.

If you use paragon disk tools just do a drive copy.

It uses vss to copy your system drive to your new drive amd scales the partition right from your desktop.
    I went from a 120gb to 250gb Evo and it took about 12 minutes

Reboot, change boot drive and voila. All done.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok , Update on BL2 and clocks and voltage going low . This is how I fixed it on my end .
    1) edit BL2 NV profile so it power management is HP (this alone won't fix it ).
    2) I change the fps limiter setting in game from the smooth 15- 60fps to the 120cap limit .

now I get full clock and no lowering of voltages , so anyone having issues with BL2 try that .

PS: Of course I have Vsync off .

Edit: those with SLI and the above doesn't fix it, try forcing 2x, 4x AA in profile , that should help put some load if SLI is to fast, with not enough usage % to keep clocks/voltage high .

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

16. sokh1985

sokh1985 New Member

GPU:
    2X MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Hi guys,

Just got 2 MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4Gs a few days ago as a replacement for my 2 MSI GTX 660 OC SLI

Thing is that I'm pretty much disappointed at my setup, but that might be a software or CPU Bootleneck issue.

For example in Watch_Dogs whatever settings I Apply (from low to Ultra) I still get around 20-30 FPS, either with one or two cards activated, but MSI Afterburner shows a 100% CPU Load...

I made bunches of researches online but no luck yet.

Here's my setup :

Windows 7 64 Bits Ultimate
    MSI Z77A-GD55 Motherboard
    Intel I5 3570 @3,4Ghz
    2x MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G / 344.16 Drivers from Nvidia
    Ventirad Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport, 16 Go (4 x 4 Go) (, PC3-10600
    SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 Go SSD (OS and a few games)
    Western Digital Caviar Black, 1 To
    Be Quiet Pure Power L8, 630W
    Zalman Z11 Plus

I tried a clean driver install using and still no luck : FPS is around 20-35 in Watch Dogs.

Even Geforce Experience which usually understates hardware (from experience) recommends Ultra settings with SMAA Temporal for example.

In 3D Mark 11 I have 11951 whereas a GTX 970 SLI From guru 3D

Have around 20.000 and not 11951 !

Also, last thing I realized when I ran 3D Mark 2011, at the end of the test where you have you hardware breakdown, it was saying that 2 of my 4Gb RAM was clocked @ 667Mhz and two others @ 800 MHz. Although they are the same ones...

Might have to do an entire OS reinstall...

17. Mato87

Mato87 Banned

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Hello folks,
    so after a 2 days of testing, basically after the whole week of just playing games, I can honestly say the Gigabyte G1 gaming gtx 970 is freaking INCREDIBLE !!!
    It's almost 75% faster than a single gtx 670 and is even better than two of my previous gtx 670's because I don't have to deal with the SLI issues, microstutter and lots of other sli related troubles.
    So here is the beauty pictured when I took it out of the box, smelling very nice and looking quite handsome :nerd:
    http://imgur.com/a/g5xdW#0
    It even glows nicely when inside my case, I have the Tt Armor Revo VO200M1W2N Black SECC ATX FT case and it even fits with all the whole lightning theme I got going on in my case and with all my peripherals, because the windforce logo glows blue, like the rest of my case fan led's and it's looking cool when the motherboard led stripes are glowing red in contrast :rock:

Performance wise it's an absolute beast, I tried all the recent games, from crysis 3, battlefield 4, wolfenstein new order, shadow warrior, fifa 15, alien isolation, ryse son of rome, shadow of mordor, watch dogs, nfs rivals, far cry 3, tomb raider, the evil within, sniper elite 3 and so on and so forth.
    Basically I played at least 15 games for about 2 hours each for the entire weekend and I had a blast.
    The card's performance is as I said just incredible in all the games I mentioned, only game game that stood out and didn't performed very well was surprise, surprise, yeah, it was Watch Dogs, yep, that game is a totally broken, unoptimized piece of turd. Even when I set up the graphics settings and textures to as low as possible, there was still this incredible lag or stutter or I don't how else should I describe it when I was driving through the city. Even when I set the textures to as low as I could I could still quite evidently notice this lag/stutter that has something to do with the texture streaming and the game not being optimized to run above 30 fps...I blame the "next gen" consoles.
    The card can take the game on the highest possible ultra graphical settings including 4xTXAA setting, the fps is around 40-60 but it's very playable, as I said only when driving through the city the gameplay gets all laggy for no reason.
    So Iam very satisfied with my purchase, sadly I couldn't get two of these cards, because of the low stocks at the retailer, but they promised me they will be selling another batch of these cards at the start of december and they even promised me they will be offering me a huge discount on the second card, here's hoping, they will fulfill their promise. So until then I'll be playing and using only one of these extremely powerful cards. The retailer even gave me a pair of cheap looking genius headphones for free as a took of appreciation for waiting for so long until my preorder arrived...I was waiting almost 3 weeks until at least one of the cards arrived at the shop...

On the other note I haven't noticed any problems regarding voltage or any other issues that people here were reporting, but then again I have been using the card for only 2 days straight so...Oh and one more thing, I haven't had a single problem fitting the card inside my case, it's longer than my previous gtx 670's with windforce coolers and is even wider and heavier, but I haven't had any trouble fitting it inside the case, oh and the backplate is just :pipe:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    Your PSU might be the culprit, it has two 12V lines which makes it almost impossible to split between CPU + GPU1 + GPU2 evenly.
    I'd suggest to try swap your PSU (single rail preferably) with bigger amps before re-installing windows.
    I got 2x Zotac 970 AMP Omega edition, Graphic score in 3DMark Firestrike is 23k.

19. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    On separate note, for those who consider to buy Zotac.
    I bought two of 970 from Zotac to replace my GTX 670 AMP from the same brand.
    The 670 works flawlessly for two solid years with good temps (65 C max) with very low noise (for my taste, dunno the dB).

These GTX 970 however, are a mixed bag. One of them has quite high temp that forcing me to create custom fan profile just to keep it reaching 80 C.
    I'm tempted to re-apply the TIM my self, and add some washer on the Heatsink screw to increase the pressure. Will do this once I can find the right washer and post back the results.

Another problem, I have weird problem as follow:
    GPU1 is the good one, GPU2 is the one with heat problem

Scenario 1: GPU1 on PCIe lane 1, GPU2 on PCIe lane 2
    Windows randomly restarting when game is loading, or in game, or in benchmarking
    Temp is better for GPU2 since it is at the bottom, free from exhaust hot air of GPU1.

Scenario 2: GPU2 on PCIe lane 1, GPU1 on PCIe lane 2
    Runs fine, no BSOD, no random restart whatsoever. Rock stable BUT, the temp for GPU 2 is too high coupled with bad position on PCIe lane 1 which is sandwich between GPU1 and my Noctua DH12.

I've also tried single GPU as follow:
    GPU1 on PCIe Lane 1
    GPU2 on PCIe Lane 1
    GPU2 on PCIe Lane 2
    All of the above has no problem whatsoever.
    Anyone has any suggestion what I can try to enable me SLIing with scenario 1?

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Have you tried the cards one by one? Do that to see if there is anything wrong with them. Next thing is that you shouldn't try Watch Dogs which is a very CPU bound game. I have a 3570K at 4,4GHz and SLI doesn't improve my FPS one bit. Someone made remarks on your PSU which seems valid to me. Best would be a PSU with one wide 12V rail to power both cards.