GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Not so true any more. Maybe with older cards but not so much now. In SLI my 970's don't go over 65 deg. These cards blow air into the case. I have good through put of air.

2. Esteban

Esteban Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    It is either on the PCB or on a sticker on the PCB....I can't remember exactly but I saw it the last time I had my card out of the case and it clearly said "1.0".
    Or, maybe it was on the box with the serial number...
    The marking does exist, though.

That's not really helpful is it?

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep, I don't care if a reference blower blows the hot air out if the 3rd party solution runs 20C cooler. good 3rd party any day. not to mention it's going to be quieter. 2 large low rpm fans over 1 small high rpm fan any day.

4. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Hah lol, It was quite funny cleaning up the old 295, when I tried to clean it with compressed air there were these very big clumps of dust coming out the rear end of the card, it was unbelievable, after that, the card wasn't getting as hot as 90, but it was still above 80...ahhh the good old days :)

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    :cheers:
    every PC case has or should have an exhaust fan which off sets the heat form the graphics card, its better to have the graphics card run cooler to help the graphichs card saty at high Mhz.

and with these new 970/980's we have never had it so good with the side of performance vs case heat which is bugger all anyway with these cards.

I've even been able to put my Blaster Z sound card back in my system .. the last reff designed cards I had where 2 x r9 290x's which also blew the heat out of the case, probs was they get so hot the heat used to radiate from the cooler case and over heat my blaster Z so I could not use it :/ although now I can and it says cool . pic of vacuum clear sounding set before I changed for the 2 gtx 970 g1's

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/zalman-zm-mfc-3.227997/

now it has these 2 gtx970's I don't need side case fans to run cooler plus it runs 1000% quieter. BOUNUS ... also all my benchmarks have gone up game feel smooth as silk all in all im super happy

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you'd be surprised to see how bad a case some people have. That being said, everyone going SLI/CFX will have a decent case with good airflow so the lower temperature from a good 3rd party cooler wins vs reference.

7. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    I have a Tt Armor Revo VO200M1W2N Black SECC ATX Full Tower and the airflow is brilliant, the case has lots of wonderful cable management solutions and in under full load my two gtx 670's I had for over 2 years were never going hotter than 70°C, the bottom one wasn't reaching 60°C under full load either. In winter both cards under full load weren't even reaching 60°C and 50°c respectively.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I wish some of reviewers would show the back plate so we would know or see what it is doing .cooling memory could very well be done , if any are on back .

I just have feeling from all pics shown that no VRM is being done with them and its more a visual improvement and some strengthening and that is it .

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I believe the back plate is there just to support the PCB example : from stress of heat sink etc, atlhough it may help take some heat away I guess.

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Depends on the card. My Palit Jetstream doesn't have a back plate as the PCB is very small.

Overall I'm very happy with the 970. Tomb Raider and BF4 were just about playable on my 670. My 970 blows BF4 away which is the main game I play and probably the only reason I bought one!

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm currently using the lowest possible fan speed in all situations and so far the maximum temp has been 66c (in Star Citizen).

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ok, well if the game fully supports SLI and is demanding then I guess OC is not needed but if the game is demanding and doesn't support SLI then it's another story. I also have a 144Hz 1440p screen (but play at 120Hz) which puts even more stress on the cards. Take Shadow of Mordor for example, the game does not support SLI and is capped at 100FPS so I have to OC my card in order to stay as close to 100FPS as possible (which meant lowering the settings to Very High instead of Ultra). Another game where I need to OC would be Ryse. I don't have it yet since it does not support SLI but when it does, I'll probably have to OC anyway since it's so very demanding.

Games like GW2 or Watch Dogs probably don't need OC since it doesn't help much with the FPS due to the fact that they are CPU bound. Metro Last Light Redux don't need OC either since it's got great SLI support and do well on High settings. Very High adds little to the visual quality but shaves off a good 30fps overall.

13. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I only have 3 x 60hz monitors anything over 60fps is pointless, I would need a lot more than an overclock if I had 3 144hz monitors, although im not saying overclocking is pointless, just pointless for me.

plus I don't want to risk damaging my spanky new cards .. I just got them :)

oh forgot to add this system has to last me 4-5 years now, so im stuck with what I have. i'll just have to lower settings to cope or then maybe see if overclocking will help. until then im more than happy with this set up at default setting .. you have to understand I came from an AMD 1090T based system with an HD7870 to what I have now, so as you can guess that's probs why im more than happy.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  14. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Hi All,
    I received my MSI GTX970 Gaming two days ago and am extremely pleased with it so far. It is very quiet with no coil whine whatsoever.

My previous card was an ASUS GTX580 Direct CUII which got very loud with fans spinning up to 100% with custom fan profile set for high stable overclock.

My default clock is 1114Mhz and not the usually reported 1140Mhz and bios version is 84.04.1F.00.F1

I am currently running card with default core voltage of 1.218V, Power limit set @ 110%, Core Freq +150, Mem +500 and Fans @ 70%.

Highest temp I've seen is 65C during benchmarking with no artifacts with memory at 8000 and scoring 10820 in Firestrike.

Now I see in AB 4 that power % goes up to 113% and my boost clock goes to 1517 stable. Is this normal and correct?
    Should I overclock some more?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

15. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Why am I unable to post when using "Post reply" and only works when using "Quick Reply"?

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Gigabyte is seriously underestimating their coolers cooling capability.
    [​IMG]
    Unigine Valley Extreme HD, fan speed set to minimum.

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    try that with metro last light maxed everything then check your cards temps seems to be the best test I can find for temp testing

18. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    BF4 Second stage at the water fountain is the best possible stress test. If you can stand there without crashing for 20 minutes, all is well.

19. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    That 2nd stage in BF4 has always outed unstable overclocks for me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    that is all normal as far as clocks speeds and voltages .

If you are hitting 113% power then check your clock speed for dips , if it is not bad leave it, if you see a lot of dips and affects gameplay, drop back a bit 10-20mhz .
    On mine while i have not gone above 1500 much i would estimate 1500 to 1525 will max power limit so I don't think it pays to go much beyond but again test in real games , with real game settings and see how it effects clocks .
    you can also set power limit in AB 4.0 monitoring to see how bad it hits .