GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Glad to hear you liked them! Which games have you tried? Anything "light" like...WoW or something?

2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    just testing now with metro last light, arma gold edtion (light game), arma 2, arma 3, crysis2, crisis 3, farcry 3, dog days, witcher 2, f1 2013 and a few benchmark programs I'll post a 3d mark of this system with crossfire R9 290X's vs the same system with 2 GTX970 g1's in a while.

same system gtx970 sli vs r9 290x crossfire latest drivers.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/8833043/3dm11/8643793

well all I can say is so glad I changed over to the 970's chuft as fook :) ... black screen issues, heat issues, noise issues, would not run multi screen issues, hah not no more. like I say best move I could of made. oh and the best bit about it was all I had to do was simply plug the cards in and as if by magic they work flawlessly .. just what you would expect from any gfx card really lol .. shame about the r9 290x's flapping about changing this changing that setting, change this in bios blah blah blah wtf .. hmmm ok I think i'll stick with NVidia from now on lol.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok, but that has nothing to do with back plate on G1, yes it has larger HS on VRM . it has heatpipes going from GPU core to HS over VRM area .
    It just has larger HS overall and fan placement might help a bit .

I bet if you took off back plate it would not affect heat of VRM . I bet the back plate is not even touching the PCB but VRM cause you have solder points that are high .

Reason the tested heat measuring on back is simple, you can't do it on front as you have to remove HS . So there reading the PCB that the VRM are mounted . I can do same thing with IR gun .

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok , so far I am not seeing that but I don't have a lot of games .
    I do see clocks go way down when game ends and next match is going to start (around 1k mhz ) .
    How much of a OC are you running, maybe a side affect if your 200+

Edit; that really should not affect it more i think of it, it sounds more like bios issue with clock state and voltage table .

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I've managed to get it at 1435 MHz and up. As far as I can tell, the MSI had same issues. I'm still trying to rule out memory OC.

6. dan182

dan182 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Connect 3d X1900 XTX
    Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop with PC gaming for a few years now, but I've decided to start again and I (lazily) purchased a Scan 3XS machine. I opted for the Gigbyte G1 GTX970 and I'm planning to overclock. I have two questions...

1) Is this thread still a good point of information? - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=74787

2) I'm planning to play games such as SoM, Fifa 15, Alien, Fary Cry 4, BF4. Is there a need to overclock from the off, or would it be better for the card (lifespan wise) if I wait until games start stressing it out?

This may not be the best thread to post this, so please let me know if I should move this or not.

Thanks!

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Its relating to the 970, so this is the perfect thread to post this :)

Overclocking, for most people, is a way to get a bit extra performance out of their card for when they really need it.. but this is not a rule.
    Some people like to OC right off the kilt to get a higher bench score, or just to see what their hardware is capable of for see and for know.

Personally, I recommend pushing it a bit, seeing how your cards react and getting some in game and in bench numbers. Once you find your card's "limits" it makes it easy to take it back a bit, and if you wish, run your card with a 24/7 OC that is stable enough in game and in every day usage.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I am running 1450/7500, i play BF4, but have FC3 and BL2 , what games are you seeing it in ?

If its any of above I'll try to monitor next time i run it .

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    SW:TOR with triple buffered v-sync add only in situations where clocks and voltage drops down due to low gpu usage. I've lowered vram OC to see if that had anything to do with it. This is pretty random so it's hard to be sure.

10. dan182

dan182 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Connect 3d X1900 XTX
    Awesome! I think I will do just that. I'll aim for a 1450/1500 core and 8000 mem like most others seem to be getting.

The G1 isn't in stock until 17th so I have a little while to wait, but I'll post the OC and timings here when I'm finished!

Thanks again for the help.

11. Spenty

Spenty Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    I've went to using EVGA precision for the k boost feature until custom bios become available. Without it the card fluctuates between voltages and power states too much and it causes crashing for me in some games.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Amen, brother! By the way, does kboost make voltage stay maxed out even in desktop usage?

13. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XCUltra
    yes.

14. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070ti
    How do I find out what revision I have on my gigamyte g1?

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Have you been running MSI AB when playing these games to check the GPU clock, GPU usage and so forth? Did you at any point notice that GPU1 downclocked to 899MHz?

Okay, I thought the backplate was there to cool the backside parts of the card like VRAM and VRM but I guess I was wrong.

16. Mato87

Mato87 Banned

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Oh crud, I just recieved a mail from the retailer that has really angered me...they basically said they can only sell me only one card, they justified that by saying that the stocks for these particular cards are so low, they can't sell me two of those on friday...How ridiculous and twisted does that sound? Iam very annoyed and Iam think of cancelling my preorder right now. But on the other hand I couldn't take it for any longer to be without a gaming pc more than 3 weeks...

17. d5aqoep

d5aqoep Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Yup.

I am pretty sure the card I have is exactly the reference design from Nvidia.

Even the fan logo says Nvidia which means Galax (Former Galaxy) released it as stock. Hence no coil whine. :) and overclocks well without upping voltage.

Galax have also released two fan version which blasts warm air in the cabinet.
    I myself prefer Nvidia stock suction design as all the hot air comes out from the back.

18. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  19. Mato87

Mato87 Banned

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Ah I see, to each his own then :) Iam fine with it, but when I had the gtx295 with reference cooler the card was so hot, it made my south bridge so incredibly hot, almost 90°C, so I had to put a mini coller on the south bridge aswell. But that was a few years ago... I now use that computer in my work so the card isn't getting as much usage and isn't overheating as it was a few years back ;)

20. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    gtx295 good old days :D
    I had the same card back in the day, and those things could get very hot above 90c while gaming.

To be honest reference cooling is better to me for SLI, u get less heat and noise over time, because most of those reference cards these days send the dirty hot air out of the case instead of true the card.

For single card purpose a third party cooler is better, but for SLI i still reckon reference coolers.

I had a great time back then with my windforce gtx 580 sli, but over time, the heat was getting more and more, in my case, and the cards were getting very noisy.