GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Are you connected by display port?

There is an issue myself and many people using the Samsung 4k U28D590D are getting. The only work around I have until a Nvidia driver fix is released is to switch my monitor from standby to off, boot my computer and wait until windows boots before switching my monitor on. This works every time.

2. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I do believe this is my case also. Thanks.

3. DickJonesOCP

DickJonesOCP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    I am getting this in Unigine Valley @ 3840x2400. Not what I consider less demanding. I am not getting a driver crash dialog when this happens. But after the "event" my MSI Afterburner settings are unapplied. TDP is capped @ 100.

I thought this was throttling at first.

But why does my fixed fan speed @ 65% go back to stock auto?

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yup same here btw. Read that thread geforce forum and getting same issue.

Also getting the loss of signal whilst on destop or in game occasionally, which requires unplug then re-plug the displayport cable to fix

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, in that case it means that you are oc'ing it too high and it just is not stable. Tdr can cause overclock reset. I don't have problems in demanding games where boost is high and voltage. I have problems when it drops the voltage and core speed to save power when there's barely load at all. It tends to drop voltage a lot more than core speed.

This can do at least 1450 MHz without extra voltage but that damn utilisation perfcap drops voltage too low in some situations so it looks like for now 1435 MHz is maximum that doesn't cause those issues. EDIT:
    Actually I can't OC the core at all... I really need to get rid of this fluctuating voltage.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. leakydog

leakydog Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-448 TF III PE
    hi, is there anyone else who can reproduce this problem with MSAA in games? I have gtx970 MSI gaming

this is from ZAVOD 311 map in BF4. white lines or dots in these corners are visible only on few spots like this - A point

with MSAA completely turned off - no problem

I have tried another gtx970 but Gigabyte G1 gaming and same issue. resets to stock clocks have no effect (on both gpus)

[​IMG]

7. DickJonesOCP

DickJonesOCP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Ok I'm more familiar with a driver crash dialog, then clocks get stuck in 2d requiring reboot.

So far this "overclock reset" is only happening in Unigine Valley.

In other games and benches I get a full on driver crash when OC is unstable.

Or artifacts in Heaven maybe.

:edit: I need to enable the temp/power/voltage limit 0/1 monitors and rerun Valley

:edit 2: Ok uninstalling an old install of MSI AB 4.0 (installed on top of many old versions with gtx 460, 770 & 970) fixed the issue in Unigine Valley

However I think I am experiencing the crash due to less than full boost/volts in Kombustor Gpu Burn in test

Its gets like 200 something fps and as a result does not hit the highest clocks/volts, and I get a driver stopped responding crash

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  8. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Would you guys say that a single gtx 970 would work well with 2560x1440? Games like Shadow of Mordor, NBA 2k15, Ryse, Far Cry 4, etc? I have Newegg store credit that im considering using on a new monitor, and just buying an 970 from a different retailer, PNY one... Or should I just skip out on the monitor and downscale to the same res? Is it a huge difference?

9. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    I don't know man, you'll get a decent framerate with one gtx970 in that resolution, but it won't be anything to write home about...I mean the gtx980 just destroys that game even on 1440p, one guy played it at 1080p with everything up to the max and he was getting constant 100 fps but he wasn't running the ultra textures., but Iam not sure about a gtx970...
    I played nba 2k15 on my notebook which I use for work and sometimes for gaming, I played fifa 15 on it for the past two weeks, because I sold my two gtx670's, but I digress. Basically the notebook has a GTX 860M graphic card and the nba2k15 was running on stable 30 fps, if I unlock the framerate it would go as higher as 40 or more, but it was not so smooth then. SO I think the nba2k15 will run smoothly on that resolution with that gtx 970.
    I don't know about ryse or far cry 4. But Iam going to get ryse tomorrow and my two gtx970's arrive on friday so I can send you some info about how it performs and far cry 4 uses exactly the same engine as fc3 and fc3 blood dragon used, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I can now comment on Shadow of Mordor, as I've been tinkering with it for the past few days in the search of getting optimized gameplay.

Using one 970GTX at stock (Boost to 1378) I get avg 55fps in the benchmark @ 1440p with everything maxxed.
    With SLI, I get avg 89fps, most of the time its in the 90-100.

What I was experiencing at first was that my fps was solid when playing, up until I would get in a fight with several enemies, at which point the fps would drop a good 70-80fps! I would be surrounded by 4 orcs and barely hitting 30fps. Yet, once I would go run elsewhere or look elsewhere, it'd be up at 90-100 again.

I could adjust settings and find that even taking the detail and AO down, it wouldn't make any difference.

So I read a bit online and found that others mentioned to disable the HQ textures as well as some of the checkboxes (can't think of them now) in advanced settings.

This I found helped me right away. I think the HD textures seem to work okay for some and not for others. Also, they are as mentioned putting together an sli profile soon so that may have a beneficial effect.

Lastly, looking at the numbers, the game scales very well even as it stands now (I manually set SLI to alternate frame 2 and it works).. it will push both cards up to 98% at times, so that was positive.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Another thing I wanted to mention is that I too am finding that during SLI operation, my first card is seeing voltage go down to 1175 while my second card stays up over 1200.

Several people are mentioning experiencing this on the Geforce forum, so i'd imagine its driver related.

12. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    So ScoobyDooby, have you tried other games, like battlefield 4, crysis 3 or ryse son of rome or even fifa 15? I would like to know how is the sli scaling in those games and how the 970 alone performs...

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm surprised by this card. I wasn't expecting this to run so cool and quiet. Without extra voltage this seems to max out at ~60c. My experience with this is pretty much exactly the opposite than with the GTX 780 GHz Edition. This is 20c cooler and way more quiet.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I don't play any of those games, sorry! Otherwise I'd be happy to let you know this. So far I only have three games installed.. SoM, Grim Dawn, and Elite Dangerous. I have my StarCitizen install folder backed up as well as the UT4 Alpha. ED and SoM Scale perfectly, however Grim Dawn has taken a step back with performance.. haven't nailed down why yet, but I suspect its mainly driver related.

Nice to hear Anarion.

How has the coil whine sitch been going with your G1? Any trouble like with the MSI?

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm running 970SLI on a 1440p monitor and since some of the games I'm playing don't have SLI support I'm running them on one card.

You mentioned Shadow of Mordor which is a good example since there is no SLI support yet. One card is enough for High settings where the FPS will mostly hover around 90-100 (100 is the cap for this game). I've not tried Ultra but I've read that the difference in quality between High and Ultra is close to none.

I'll most likely buy Ryse when the SLI profile is available but that game is a different story. One single 970 at max settings will not be enough, you will have to disable SSAA for one and maybe some other settings. I saw a benchmark once but I don't remember where.

Regarding FarCry4, if it will run on the same engine as FarCry3 then one 970 at 1440p might be OK for High settings. I've not played FC3 on my 1440p monitor, just FC Blood Dragon which runs flawlessly at max settings but that's with SLI.

Luckily you can OC a 970 quite a lot (1450-1500/7500 should definitely be possible) which makes it on par with a stock (3rd party cooler) 780Ti or sometimes even a bit faster. You might have an easier time finding 780Ti benchmarks at 1440p than with a 970.

Unless you can spot the difference between High and Ultra textures there is no reason to run it at Ultra. Try High instead, that's what I'm using and I got a 85 something average in the benchmark if I remember correctly at 1490/7500MHz.

AFR2 only works in the benchmark but not while playing, at least not for me. I got severe slowdowns in fights and randomly in the world so now I'm just running single card which works quite well.

I got that problem too and I was guessing it was ASIC related. Top card at 1.200 and bottom at 1.215 or something like that (top has higher ASIC than bottom).

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Basically no whine/noises. Though, if I OC (especially if I add more voltage) you can hear some noises from VRM. I've seen quite a bit of reports that it will eventually disappear though. Without extra voltage though it's really, really silent and it's not a problem at all. I think this is pretty much on par with the GTX 780 that I had previously when it comes to VRM noises.

Damn utilisation performance cap is driving me nuts though. This means that I can't actually use, say 1450 MHz because it would TDR in some less demanding games because when the core drops down to something like 1290 MHz to save power because it doesn't need to run 100%, it also drops voltage so much that it can't actually handle that speed any more. :bang: My card boosts to 1392 MHz at stock so it could be that this would have those problems even at stock. I get those problems at least from 1435 MHz and up so for now I only OC the vram and I've upped the core to 1410 MHz. I could use 1450 MHz in stressful games though but I hate manually applying the different clocks.

EDIT:
    However... Suddenly my CPU overclock has become unstable which is a bit weird. I'm getting some WHEA errors and random crashes so I've lowered my CPU OC to 4,4 GHz. It looks like 4,5 Ghz is too much, things get much harder after 4,3 Ghz.

17. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    I am seeing this too with my cards. Even at idle Nvidia Inspector shows a difference in voltages.

Has to be driver related. I am also putting this down to why my cards in SLI won't clock as well as one card was.

18. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    Hi Mato87,

Fifa 15 doesn't support SLI yet (not even a driver profile) and won't need to. I am playing in 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with settings at Max and no fps lock. I think it stays around 120 fps and the second card is sitting idle.

Battlefield 4 uses SLI and at the same resolution on high settings was from memory sitting no lower than 70-80 fps in the thick of it.

Am looking forward to testing out Ryse. Looks good but haven't got it yet.

19. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    If u cant see the difference and i can, even without owning the game, then there is something wrong about your eyesight i think, check this video for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvhTVak5Yc

I see definitely the difference between high and ultra, but heh thats just my opinion ;)

20. Beta Reverse

Beta Reverse Guest

GPU:
    G1 970
    Gigabyte answered me about my BIOS request for the G1 970:

"Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. We are not sure which utility you used to monitor the fan speed. We suggest you can use OC Guru II utility to see if the fan speed can be adjusted or not. Basically, there will be a limited fan speed to prevent the hardware issue or overheat problem. If the fan speed cannot be lowered as you wish, it is possible the hardware not support the value you adjusted. To make sure the system work properly, we do not suggest you to low down the fan speed.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
    GIGABYTE"

In a nutshell: they don't give a crap about the fan limitation.