GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ranger x

Ranger x Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 Amp Ex @2075
    I love my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 SLI, got my cards running stable @ 1429 GPU core and 7500Ghz mem, without increasing the voltage......:banana:

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'll try asking here again.

Does anyone running SLI have problems with GPU1 downclocking in less demanding game while GPU2 runs at max boost

For example, I'm playing WoW and GPU1 downclocks to 899MHz but GPU2 stays at 1304MHz (stock clocks). Feels like I get worse FPS that way.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Currently I'm running my card at 1452 MHz (@ 1,225V) and 7660 MHz. Seems to be stable. It looks like my card hits the wall around 1450 MHz and after that it doesn't matter how much voltage you give.

Funny... This card is completely quiet in Star Citizen. Max fan speed was around 950 rpm.

4. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered my second MSI GTX 970 today. SLI here I come!

Should be ready by the weekend :)

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV

I can't see this being true surely?

Ivybridge is only 5-10% faster than my CPU I can't see this causing an issue.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    When you get your second card, would you mind telling me if one of your cards downclocks in less demanding games while the other one is at max boost?

I've asked everywhere but I seem to be the only one with this problem.

7. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

GPU:
    @ Netherwind

I will be sure to test this for you and let you know.

What game are you playing that is less demanding?

8. AaronT

AaronT Active Member

GPU:
    My single 970 is stable at 1542/7400 with a maximum temp of 66 degrees. No voltage increase. Might push the memory a fraction more, but don't want to over do it. The second card coming will provide more than enough performance.

Fire Strike = 11598

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Thank you!

I've noticed this in World of Warcraft (maximum settings), Divinity: Original Sin (maximum settings) and can try out a few more when I come home after work.

Games where the two cards boost equally are:
    Thief, Metro:LL, Crysis 3 amongst others

10. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I've ordered some copper ramsinks to put on the un-cooled vram on the back of the MSI 970 Gaming card.
    There is one module on the underside that isn't cooled at all aswell due to its proximity to the heatpipes.
    I may get half a ramsink on that maybe.

Wonder why Msi chose to only cool 3 of the 8 modules??

Anyway ram seems stable at 7900mhz, but just want to make sure its cool as possible

11. DavidHigh

DavidHigh Member

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB
    Hi to everybody! :)

I'm a happy owner of a GTX 680 from Zotac (this one: http://www.enthusiastreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Zotac-GTX-680.jpg ) with 2GB VRAM.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a GTX 970, because of the new chipset and the more memory... do you think it's worth it?

Since I'm italian, I need to buy it from a store selling in Italy without customs taxes and so on, so I'm checking a few eshops... these are the models I've found:
    http://www.eprice.it/schede-video-ZOTAC/d-5682413
    http://www.planetcomputerpisa.it/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9000
    http://www.planetcomputerpisa.it/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8996
    http://www.alternate.it/ZOTAC/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-4GB/html/product/1157951?
    http://www.nexths.it/v3/flypage.php?mv_arg=GTX 970 GAMING&pos=3&page=1
    http://www.nexths.it/v3/flypage.php?mv_arg=ZT-90101-10P&pos=1&page=1

What model and brand do you suggest me??? Zotac? MSI? Gigabyte? Asus? Something else? :p

Thank you very much for your help! :)

12. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Gigabyte G1 / MSI gaming in no order those two
    then Asus.

I havent done any research on the zotac but i believe it's just a stock PCB with a different fan basically. The other 3 arent

13. Spenty

Spenty Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    You think we'll see some nice improvements in future drivers with the 9 series cards? It's a new architecture after all and nvidia released 1 or 2 drivers for the 7 series that boosted performance nicely.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Only one way to find out right? Tonight I'll go do a run and post the findings

No question..I think they will only get better for sure. With past architechtures in almost all cases after drivers have matured we've seen performance gains up to 10-15%, so I don't see why this series would be any different

15. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Quick question fellas: I ordered a 970, im currently using a regular 1080p which I downscale to 1440p maybe even 1800p.

Since the 970 has so much vram and performs well at 1440p (native), I was inquiring into getting a nice 1440p monitor.

So I was wondering: I understand that downscaling makes my 1080p image look alot nicer, is it worth switching over to a native 1440p monitor rather than just downscaling?

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I was considering to downscale now as well since these cards can handle the higher output.

my thoughts are, if you really want a higher res monitor and IF that monitor is larger in size, get the monitor. But really, you can save money and spend it elsewhere on your PC, or save that money for future upgrades and just continue downscaling since you're essentially getting the same type of experience as you would with a 1440p monitor.

I would just stay downscaling personally.. though I'm sure others may have a differing opinion.

17. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Makes sense, thats what I was thinking awesome

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I think most people in this thread would say that its worth the upgrade, but it all depends on the games you play, if you're an overclocker, how much you're willing to spend etc.

If you're looking for more detailed info on which cards, I have posted a link (at the bottom where it says useful 970 links) in the first post of this thread last night that discusses the Strix, MSI Gaming, and Gigabyte G1 with details on power usage, overclocking etc.

Give that a read and it will give some background on those cards in particular.. you can't really go wrong with either of those three. I'd stay away personally from the EVGA, Zotac, and any reference 970 and instead go with the Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte, depending on availability and your budget.

19. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Scooby! :)

So backwards from the usual for me. I've always had good cards from EVGA. But I followed the advice from everyone here, and got a MSI 970 Gaming. Just got it today! Woohoo! Should go nicely in my rig.

You think my cpu might be a bottleneck though? LOL!

20. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070ti
    Well finally got my refund approved by EVGA and the card is on its way back. Next thing is to find a gigabyte g1/nsi gaming/asus in that order. I'm thinking very seriously about ordering it on Amazon as back order. If anyone has heard or has dealt with this back order process from Amazon on any of the 970 cards, please let me know what kind of wait time is expected please.