GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mull54

mull54 New Member

GPU:
    8gb
    Hey guys.

I reviced my two GTX 970 G1 Gaming(Really good looking cards, and damn they run quiet att 80% even) and i have a problem with performance.

First of, i ran a custom fan curve and got 67C on the top card on 80% fan speed. And 60C on the bottom card. Is that normal temps?

But to my main question. I ran Firestrike(free with demo) and only got 17000 in score. I know this is not normal. Do you guys have any idea what the problem is? Also i got a bit over 2600 on Heven bench on 1080P Ultra 8xaa and Extreme tess.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ?? not sure what your problem is here.. I only get 13k on Firestrike with my two g1 and the same processor as you, so 17k is really good..? is it not?

Same with your temps.. mine goes up to 73c on the top card and 68 on the bottom, but my cooling internally is intentionally lacking (for noise supression)

3. Caelen

Caelen Member

GPU:
    2xGigabyte GTX970 G1

For the firestrike it depends if you're talking about overall score or graphics score. If your graphics score is 17000 then it's probably a bit low, but if it's an overall score its very good.

I installed a pair of G1's last night and got about 20000 (graphics score) and about 22000 with a quick O/C, but my overall score was somewhere in the 15-16000.
    Thats with a i73770 @4.5

4. rivaltr

rivaltr Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hi guys i want to unlock voltage control within afterburner. Do i choose reference design, standard msi or extended msi?

5. rivaltr

rivaltr Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Do you also hit voltage limit 1 all the time even on stock clocks/stock voltage?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Alright, finally I got some benchies ready to fire.

System is to the right - cooling only consisted of the 2 120mm fans on the H100 pushing out, and the fans on the cards themselves.. so, warm internals.

I did a combination of 670 Benches for contrast, and then 970 single card, sli, single card OC and SLI OC.

I will be doing more naturally, but this is a start.

Benches were 2011, Firestrike, Valley and Heaven.

Valley w/ 670 Stock, then OC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2011 w/ 670 - Stock then OC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firestrike w/ 670 Stock then OC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2011 w/ 970 Stock - Single card, then SLI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firestrike w/ 970 Stock - Single card, then SLI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple more:

2011 970 Single OC & SLI OC @ 1440/3950

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firestrike SLI OC @ 1442/3940
    [​IMG]

Since my cpu/mobo are holding back I highlighted the GPU score since that's what really matters.

+ couple more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. whitespider

whitespider Member Guru

GPU:
    I would be interested how DSR compares to GedoSaTo in terms of visual quality. I'm not talking sharpness specifically, just the guassian filter vs bicubic/bilinear/etc.

And also if nvidia's forced driver level hbao works with DSR or not, because Gedosato is not compatible with it.

8. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Scooby man , those pics seem a bit small no? Can you do some game benchmarks as well ? Single VS SLI preferably :D

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Wooops sorry, I forgot to include the code to hyperlink them. Fixing now

Edit: Ok Fixed. I am currently doing single vs sli OC in 2011. Trying to find my sweet spot on these puppies ;)

And yes, will do some game benchies as well. Will start with Metro (need to clear space on my ssd first tho )

10. gizmo11x

gizmo11x Member

GPU:
    660ti
    hey Scooby. congrats on the cards ;)
    how is the noise under load on those cards. interested in single mostly.
    I saw in your screenshots that the fans got up to 60%. what's the RPM? 80mm fans on 60% should theoretically be pretty loud.
    thanks

11. xtremesystems

xtremesystems New Member

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming
    anyone have idea what is min offset in core voltage in oc guru II program

://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70013382/970gtz/OFSET.png

please add https because im below 5 posts and cant add links or pic

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

Noise under load (70c+) can get fairly loud with both cards humming, but single card is actually not too bad. I'm very sensitive to noise, and really when playing a game or in idle they are pretty silent. Obviously during high stress they get pretty noticable.

@ 60% fan speed I'm showing 1900RPM. The noise is not loud at all to be honest.. To try to put into perspective as best I can, I have my side panel off currently and my pc is open and facing me from about 4 feet away.
    With the fan @ 60%, I can sooner hear cars driving by outside and that is louder and drowns out the sound of the fans partially.

if it were a reference cooler (at least like ones that I've had in the past) it would be screaming I'm sure, but with the g1 its more of a higher hum than anything else.. very tolerable.

13. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Hey nice , thank you. I can't wait till my card arrives , i think Monday or so.

14. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Worth going from 680 to 970?

15. Vaax

Vaax New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Upgraded to MSI 970 Gaming recently.
    Just got a 4 seconds black screen plus "nvlddmkm not responding" error while I was playing a mid GPU demanding game (WoW).
    Should I be worried? I ran a OC 670 for 2 years without any kind of this similar issue.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Right on, which type did you grab again?.. the MSI?

Yes. I went from 670 to 970 and its more or less twice the performance.. so maybe not as much from a 680, but still a large boost just the same.

Could be driver related.. tho did you have any oc at the time?

17. gizmo11x

gizmo11x Member

GPU:
    660ti
    much obliged Scooby

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just received package tracking code so Monday it is then.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hehe, thanks and I'm sure it's possible to go to 1500 even in SLI.

But yesterday evening I noticed something weird...I played a little bit of WoW which isn't very demanding. Actually I think my CPU had to do most of the work (as in all MMOs). So, I had MSI AB OSD up and I saw that GPU1 was downclocking to 899MHz while GPU2 was at 1261 something. This happened in DNF too (also not demanding). Anyway, while in WoW the game froze, the screen went black a moment, then the game got back up and after 2 seconds, the FPS stabilised and both GPUs were running at 1261MHz once again.

The thing was that I wrote earlier about GPU1 not applying 2D clocks in desktop (always at 899MHz, while GPU2 clocks down correctly to 125 or something) and I don't know if GPU1 has trouble managing its clocks or something? I forgot to try the "Max Performance" setting in NVCPL.

Tonight I'll run the cards individually to see which one coilwhines, hopefully it's GPU1.

20. Vaax

Vaax New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    No OC, nope.
    You too? oO