GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Vellinious

Vellinious Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    353.62 driver version has been really good to me. 355.82 is pretty good as well. Anything after that has been relatively unkind to Firestrike, though.

2. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Looks like i'll be joining you people next week OWYEAH! :D

Ordered a Gainward GTX 970 Phantom and it has been shipped, should be here next Tuesday!

I actually sold my 780 for 220 euro within 10min of placing my ad, and i have the money too already, and now to get that sweet mini ITX Z77 board!

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I don't have the sexiest model, but it overclocked easily to 1500mhz, it's not going over 74c yet.

My ambient temp is around 15 though, so it might get pretty hot when it's 20-25c ambient temp.

5. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    mine idles at 25-30C
    during games and benchmarks 48-62C

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Yeah that's why i said this isn't the best model, it's quiet bad.

I've set my fan speed to 90% and the card is still pretty silent wich is impressive.

It's now 34c idle so it's not that bad actually.

1500mhz is good enough for me, if i need the extra power i'll do a slight higher overclock.

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    one positive for the gainward 970 is the fans are really easy to clean.

but yeah, as far as size and efficiency go, it's one of the cheapest 970's for a reason.

8. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    But it still does the job, and still an awesome card.

9. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

i have done the same thing ,sold my gtx 780 and buy 970gtx g1 ,oc it to 1500 stable at bench but crashs with shadow of mordor and fallout4 ,im not impressed with the this card i feel that 780 is more stronger..... but i just done this move for the driver support

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I feel the same way, but some games do run twice as good then my 780 like Witcher 3 wich runs smoothly at 60fps at ultra.

I didnt had any crashes with Shadow of Mordor, i actually tried that game too.
    It even ran decent at 4K downsampled at around 40fps lol.

I've set my voltage to +11 anything lower i get driver stopped responding.

11. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    you need to get a custom bios that disables voltage and clock fluctuation for overclocking maxwell with constant stability.

few pages back I gave a link where you can request someone to mod your cards bios. my card would crash in games without a modded bios, at the same clocks and voltages. but as soon as I disabled boost 2.0 tech, it's stable in everything.

780 is even with the 970 in older tech/games, but in newer stuff the gap is pretty big. u4 engine, titles with tesellation, etc. you can get up to a 20+fps gap between a 780 and 970.

12. fruitbatmoon

fruitbatmoon Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 970 4 gig
    Yeah warning for tyhose purchasing the g1 gaming card (970 version) and want to water cool it. There are two totally differing cards same model but only a SLIGHTLY differing serial number..... please double check as the blocksd wont fir if you get the wrong box for athe card

13. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Hello guys, i just bought an EVGA SSC 3975 KR and my core clock (default) is 1405mhz, my stable OC right now is 1523mhz core clock, and voltages are 1.206 (stock) 1.231 (max oc)

I want to know if i can get more voltage modding my bios (so i can OC more).

Update: I managed to mod my original bios and now i got 1581mhz core clock stable, i tried 1600mhz and didnt crash but i got artifacts.

Thanks!.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  14. fruitbatmoon

fruitbatmoon Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 970 4 gig
    Well mate if you have artefacts throttle back fella. Sometimes a BIOS update or volt mod wont do a damn thing if the silicon wont actually get you there:)

15. Vellinious

Vellinious Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    Yes, running a custom bios will allow you to run more voltage through the card. I would imagine, at those clocks though, you're likely to benefit more from the increased power limits. I'd bet you're probably either already hitting a power limit perf cap, or very close to it....unless you already raised them.

The Maxwell architecture LOVES to run as cool as possible, so keep that in mind as you're designing your custom fan curve as well.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I can't stand this model from Gainward, i'm trading it in for a Gigabyte one with 3 fans (sadly has no backplate, the others aren't in stock).

It's 20 euro more then this one so i hope it's worth it.

Meantime i'll have to settle with onboard wich suuuucks but i have to work anyway during the day and have alot of crap to watch on Netflix etc so i can live without a GPU for few days.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I'm getting the Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming instead, i found reviews that were extremely positive about that card, it's 40 euro's more but hell it seems worth it.

JayzTwoCents did a review and had it OC'd to 1542 i think on the core and temps at load didn't go above 62c! and he had his sidepanel open wich i don't think helps with lower temps?

18. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    don't compare with jayz cos the gpu is not same with the retail one.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    What do you mean?

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gigabyte send him a review sample. Probably cherry picked to look good.

MSI also send him an R9 390 that hited 1200Mhz in his review. I rarely saw retail one that can do that.