GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Past few "new" drivers I've tried will randomly stop responding/crash for me. No real rhyme or reason to it. Just stop, they come back and are fine afterwards but it's still annoying. Wish i could remember the last stable ones I used. (think just before the GTA:V drivers came out.)

2. Sptz

Sptz New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Hm... I actually have zero issues with AMD right now apart from an issue with Flash and Overdrive.

I guess I'll keep the 970 resting in its box until these get fixed :p

3. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    "I have zero issues except 2 issues" :giggle2: Nice one.

4. Sptz

Sptz New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    It's actually one issue, interaction between Adobe Flash and Overdrive which causes the clocks to not go fully up to where they should be when playing, say, a youtube video.

Apart from that I have experienced zero crashes, zero SERIOUS/Game breaking issues whatsoever. So you can say, in a way, zero issues yes.

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Come on,install your new 970 and see how it goes comparing to your old gpu..

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No problems with drivers for me in last 6 months. Rock solid so far.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    For me too.

The issues I had went away with a reduced overclock. Something to be expected when drivers start using the last reserves of the cards.

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    OK been looking at them, I want the better models, so I now know the EVGA 970 FTW+ is only one that comes with backplate and extra cooling tweaks, the plain FTW doesn't, lol ..... so wich models are the good ones for MSI and Gigabyte, so many models and they don't show back for plates ect, I just figured you guys would know wich ones are the sweet, If I'm getting 1 it's gonna be the good 1's. Thanks in advance guys, appreciate.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I mentioned already. For Gigabyte, you want the G1 Gaming. For MSI, the standard Gaming edition is fine. EVGA wise you want the FTW+. The + is important because it includes the updated revision of the ACX cooling system which is much better. You can also get the SSC+, but it lacks a backplate.

10. AA11021

AA11021 Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 970
    Kinda regretting rushing to get the MSI instead of waiting for the gigabyte to come in stock. Fans are failing and OC is meh.

Speaking of fans, anyone installed an arctic Accelero Extreme iv on their MSI 970? I'm thinking of going that way since the fans get stuck and one of the blades broke off.

I've read that the gigabyte version is not compatible with that cooler but one of the members here said that they had good results with the extreme IV on their MSI card. Another guy told me that he installed the extreme III on his MSI but the some of the VRMs wouldnt fit.

Heres the gigabyte incompatibility thing (can't post link since new here) overclock.net/t/1521806/gigabyte-gtx-970-g1-gaming-compatibility-w-accelero-xtreme-iii-iv

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    G1 Gaming doesn't need any other aftermarket cooler, default one is more than fine. Only best thing to advance for it is H2O,nothing else.

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Got MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G Today. Working like a charm so far.

Gaming wise was as expected, but there was another pleasant surprise while folding.
    http://i.imgur.com/tRIf00d.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    I've had several MSIs and the OC has always been fine. Nothing that'd hit 1600MHz on default voltage (which other cards won't do either) but always a good 1500MHz and 8000MHz RAM.
    The fans work great and with a re paste, the card isn't only dead-silent at idle (where the Gigabyte can be heard easily), but also under load, while never hitting anything above 65 degrees C.
    Can't complain really.

14. AA11021

AA11021 Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 970
    Yeah don't know why he wanted to install an aftermarket cooler on it...

My fan blade broke so that's why am wondering if it will fit on the MSI.

15. AA11021

AA11021 Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 970
    Mine gets unstable at around 1420mhz. Some games will be happy up to 1450ish but it's not technically stable since some games will crash 100%.

My fans get stuck at 100% (one fan stuck at 100%, the other at 0%) sometimes and won't budge until I restart. Sometimes they will both get stuck at 0% and won't budge until I restart. Manually forcing them in MSI AB does nothing. Always fun to wonder WTF is going on with my fps only to realise the card is throttled down at 90c because the fan is stuck.

Oh and then the fan blade just snapped off completely. Maybe it got stuck at 100% fan speed too long.

And there's the whole TDR thing but that's just drivers I think.

So yeah, probably just got a runt of the litter or something.

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    TDR is just too much of an overclock, as simple as that.
    Fans getting stuck -> there was a firmware update for that a long time ago.
    Clock rates -> pure luck. You can get a cherry or a grape from every company.

17. AA11021

AA11021 Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 970
    I'm getting TDR on stock. I think it's a driver issue, other people are reporting it as well.

Hmm, I think I installed that firmware, no change. In any case the fan snapped off so it's a bit too late for that now. Will keep it in mind if get the card replaced, thanks!

I'm not complaining that much about the OC, I know it's a lottery. It's really the least of my concerns.

18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    TDRs in idle state may still be something like some voltage being too low (by default), something that can surely happen with cards that have dynamic VIDs.
    As the card is factory overclocked, a TDR under load would be the same as one that happens after a manual overclock, with the "small" differenca that in this case I'd happily return the card for being faulty :D

I've read about the TDRs others were having and even then, I had no issues even though I've used the same software. Might be a matter of personal experience though and as Nvidia had some of this fixed through drivers, it surely was a valid issue.
    Still: Things like that can also happen if newer drivers squeeze out more performance while the card is still running at its max, tested with an older driver. The max load would usually increase, sometimes above what the particular card can handle.

19. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    970-G1 SOC 1.5Ghz/8.2Ghz
    Are these cards still technically 3.5gb and not 4gb?
    I'm looking for something to replace my 660 with and I know I could use the vram.
    Any advice? My budget is about $420.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    People say 3.5 as if the card doesn't actually have a full 4gb, but in reality it does. Its just that a portion of that 4gb runs at a slower speed, and thus people like to call it 3.5 even though its factually untrue.

In reality, many people don't have issues when the cards are using over 3.5gbs of Vram, myself included, so don't put too much weight into it.

For that budget, if you're gaming at 1080, and even 1440, you will find that the 970 is a great performer. If you're wanting to play all games at 1440 with high or ultra settings, you may find that it will struggle a bit with higher end titles (think Witcher 3)