GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Outside of Chrome with Hardware acceleration and Witcher 3 on the newest drivers (353.06) I haven't had any issues. And those times was also just TDR.

With 352.86 and Chrome with HW accel off, besides the huge boost in performance, things are the same as every other NV GPU I've had.

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1. Got two as gifts for a job I did. So, I then decided to build a new comp around them. Currently only using one...haven't decided if I will use the other as I only run 1080 and everything is running great.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yeh I'm finding that as well, at least with Witcher, which is all I'm playing atm.

No overclock, or a very light one, the game plays smooth and I'm not getting any crashes anymore (most likely thanks to drivers and recent game patches)

however, if I clock up, even to 60/60 on the GPU and Mem, the screen during gameplay will randomly go white and then crash to desktop. Sometimes after 2 minutes, other times after an hour.

Haven't tried with other games, but it does seem like W3 is sensitive to it..

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    No crashes or funky colored screens for me either. The cards don't like to be over their limit though, and it seems that each new driver and "optimized" game will cut down their reserves a little.

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Correct, with latest driver I saw that boost sometimes for some period will hit voltage limit and reduce it from my stock volatge at 1.225 to 1.2 with no reason (temps 64-65,power usage way below 100% etc),something that didn't do with older than 350.xx drivers. I can't complain though for 14Mhz drop of core speed (1503 to 1489) still MAYBE Nvidia "tweak" their newer drivers to sporadically limit perofrmance boost of 970 and other cards too (ofc). Who knows.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    dunno, it's only 400 points more than I got on my run.

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    .....or your run was damn near crazy!!!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not really, it wasn't even that insane of an overclcock, think I ran at 1525/8000 or so. 400 extra points is pretty good, but then again 980 can hit 3000 points more than my score, to put it in perspective :)

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @CK: on my current card I had to reduce the memory over lock to get rid of the issues I was having. Not a real performance loss & more of a cosmetic thing, but the effect on stability was severe.
    The rate occasions where I had problems were reproducible and this way I got rid of them completely. I went with 200MHz less, to be safe, as that was the baseline for the performance increase I saw from memory overclocks (left +260MHz to use).

10. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    Better late than .....

Howdy do all. Figured I'd pop in and say I am now a proud owner of a 970. I got this little bad boy the other day.... I had a MSI Gaming 770 2gb prior...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't had much time to play around yet(Just some GTA5 and wow does it run circles around my ol 770). Just bought 3DMark for $5 on the steam sale so I have at least something to bench with. What r some other good benchies to run(any good "free" ones)? Tips on OC'n this thing or should I leave it? I'll post some scores prolly later tomorrow. Thanks all. :banana:

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    congrats on the 970, overclock it and you have yourself a beast that will indeed make a 770 look really old. Enjoy.

12. neeeksta

neeeksta Member Guru

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    I was getting some crashes, and I read W3 didn't like Afterburner.
    So I don't use it, and now it is stable, but that raises the question in my mind 'if one did want to try a 'mild' o/c and play W3 .. how??

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Mine wasn't insane either. I was at 1588/8000. Stock CPU.

What was crazy about it was that it was with zero additional voltage. When I have time again I'm going to go for the money and see how far above 1600 I can get.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ah, I didn't actually know it was your score haha. 1588/8000 is insane on stock volts, you got lucky.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Sure you didn't ;)

And yeah, it's pretty lucky. I normally lose the GPU lottery so I'm pretty happy. I didn't find the upper limit on the VRAM either, I just slapped it at 8000 because its Samsung, lmao.

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    If you only set clocks you don't need AB to be running in the background which really should not cause any issues other than if the card is unstable oc'd. At least that is how I use AB and it has never caused any problems

17. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    clocks stuck

Hey all. Just wondering if any1 else is having the same prob and maybe how to fix. I just loaded up AB and my gpu and memory clocks are stuck on 1189(GPU) and 3505(Mem) and I'm not even running anything that should make it stay there.......? I've tried reinstalling the drivers(353.06) /w DDU and they just stay there. :bang: Any ideas? Thank you so much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    First hit the "reset" button and wait for few minutes, if they don't get unstuck remove AB,remove drivers,install another one(prefer a previous one) and check (without installing AB,use Z-gpu for example). If all ok then install(clean) the drivers you prefer.

19. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    OMG I totally forgot about that!!! LOLz..... Thank you for kick starting my tired ol brain!!!!! :banana:

20. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015