GTX 780 heats up/maxes out when alt tab

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Thelmet, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Thelmet

Thelmet Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    What is up with this? I alt tabbed out of Arkham Origins just now and I look at GPU-Z and the GPU load is 100% and the temp keeps climbing and climbing. I know this happened before with Bioshock Infinite. I just pretty much never alt tab at this point. Is there any fix?

2. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    are you running some kind of crypto current mining software and don't realize it....or you possibly have a virus that is using your gpu for mining. That is def not the norm for kepler as I have owned numerous kepler cards and have never had that problem.

3. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    I have exactly the same thing, and I think it's an Unreal3 engine issue, as Bioshock and Unreal 3 itself behave the same.
    I just resist the urge to Alt-Tab in those games, and use my laptop for any googling.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well its nothing wrong, the game keeps rendering in the background.

Its not the only game, some have this better and it sends gpu to idle or lower usage, while others keep rendering full3d image minimized.

Possible fix would be, use MSI AB fps limiter, if you play with vsync then limit fps to vsync Hz (60hz + 60fps limit).