GTX 780 freezes when going 3D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Abilio_KID, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    It's in my signature: "Asus GTX 780 OC DCII 3GB"

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Opps forgot to look- You have the Asus one I am kinda shocked those are usually the best quality cards.

3. LeonardoK

LeonardoK Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Are you satisfied with the performance of the GTX 780? :3eyes:
    Maybe buy something new GPU?

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I had one too. It's still good. Sure, you can't max out everything, but it's still able to deliver good frame rates if you sacrifice some visuals.

It's almost equivalent to a 970.

Also, your 1060 is not that much faster than a 780 :) Most people here would never consider going from a 780 to a 1060 as being a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

5. JordanMihailov

JordanMihailov Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 780
    "Booting into safe mode works 100%" there is something when he can at least enter safe mode, right ?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I spy a bot/spammer.

7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Indeed.
    A 1060 performs @130-140% compared to a 780. So while it's a nice bump, it's not worth the price for me.
    I'd want at least a 100% increase for the same price of my current card.

8. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Well, the problem is fixed for now. Lets hope for a long while as money isn't growing in trees here. Yes, the card performs well enough as I have a mix of old and new games (and I don't game that much anymore).
    Also, the rest of the PC, while working very well, is pretty old and I don't think a top high end card would do much.

9. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    OP, I'm fairly certain that you can do a "budget" upgrade on your CPU and give yourself more GPU headroom. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date and you should be able to get a used Xeon X5600 series 6-core CPU. Most people are able to OC them to 4.2GHz easily.

For example, a Xeon X5650 currently for $40 shipped on EBay. not sure if that seller is shipping to Portugal, but I'm sure you can find one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...269316?hash=item237b7744c4:g:720AAOSwanRXhDCn

I'm currently using an X5675 OC'd to 4.41GHz and running a GTX 980 Ti with no real bottlenecking that I've noticed. Playing Battlefield 1 and The Division like a champ. Up to you if you want to invest much more into your X58 rig, I swapped out my i7 920 a year ago and it was definitely worth it.

10. JordanMihailov

JordanMihailov Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 780
    I really like that budget gaming :)) See some people like you do it with old xeon's. As the 980ti i don't consider it as a budget :))) I also want an upgrade but still waiting and saving :)

11. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    I'm reviving a bit this topis as my GTX 780 has done it again. I guess it was never fully repaired and now the warranty is over. The problem is the same as when I opened this topic.
    Need to buy a new one. Any ideas? Was thinking about a 1070 or something a bit less but used. Money is a bit of a problem but I also wouldn't want to have to upgrade too soon again.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @Abilio_KID
    Maybe you should try a custom vbios that lowers clocks a bit. Maybe that's all it will need.
    Which I can make one for you.

What vbios is your card?
    Use GPU-Z to check version.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  13. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Thank you for your answear but I don't see the point on lowering clocks if the card was meant to work with them as they are.
    After the RMA I noticed the card used to crash once in a while if Windows used it at PCIe 16x. Upon crashing it would reset the display driver and set the card to 8x and it would fix it. That is, until one restart that would "see" the card back at 16x. This time however, it was working fine at 8x then lost image while playing a game (while music and anything else was working in the back).
    Now the system boots, I see Windows 7 logo then a flash (logo doesn't disappear), then after a few minutes I'm presented with logon and a safe mode resolution. Desktop shows some blue artifacts too. Device manager shows the card disabled with an error 43. I can use the PC normally, like if it was in safe mode, but can't use hardware acceleration (card gets disabled).
    I guess the card did it again and I'm getting fed up with it. May as well update to something better. Just need opinions if a 1070 is overkill for my i7 920 @4Ghz and/or if I have other options.