GTX 780 failiure?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Spuk0, May 23, 2017.

1. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    OK I purchased a used GTX 780 from Ebay about a month ago.. Palit Jetstream GTX 780... I had stressed tested this for about 2 days off and on for maybe 12hrs total running various benchmarks, just a couple of cycles of the evga furmark... all seemed stable and good...

I had pulled the card out in place for another for a couple of weeks... then noticed that when I launched 3Dmark the new one that sometimes it would stop working... crash back to desktop. I would close out all resources via task manager.... launch it again no problems... however my CPU scores were getting a tad lower... So I started troubleshooting my O/C... Figuring maybe it was my RAM I lowered my timings and rebooted. I launched 3DMark again... was running through the GPU tests 1 and 2 no problem... Physics test fine... then crashed or actually just went black on the combined test. Hit the reset button and I get post, windows 7 splash screen but will not load past that... removed graphics drivers in safemode... reinstalled drivers but again will not load into windows.... tried maybe 5x and the one time Windows reported a problem with the card and disabled it. another I got in barely but blue artifact lines through out... that when moving the mouse cursor would actually like wipe them away then come back.

Moral of story after everything my GPU will not display when the drivers change the voltage state in booting to the 2D mode in windows. Safe mode and POST are fine and no artifacts... Another card tested in system and is fine... so did somehow this card die? If so is it VRMs? or possibly age/heat issue with previous owner use with the GPU or memory? Generally in the old AGP days if it was artifacts you would get them even in the POST screen so I'm leaning voltage circuitry... any suggestions or links to PCB diagnosis... I've been searching google and youtube for a few days now and I don't think this is something readily available... still paid over $100 hate to throw it in the trash.... and another I got things stable again with my system with a couple of ticks of the VCORE in the Bios again...

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. XtremeGamer142

XtremeGamer142 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    Well. I do not recommend Palit Jetstream. Once I had a Palit Jetstream 980Ti. It crash soooo many times. So get a GTX 780 from ZOTAC or NVIDIA. (THE OFFICIAL)

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why would anyone stress test a GPU for 12 hours? Totally unnecessary. Furmark is way overkill for the purpose, bet thats what killed it. Both AMD/Nvidia advise against it.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yupp I have to agrer about furmark, I was told its a power-virus.I use to stress test using furmark back in the day with my Radeon 6970 crossfire set-up but now if I want to bench something which is very seldom I will use Heaven or Metro rwdux bennchmarks thats built into the game.Also 12 hrs does seem to be a tad overkill I would of done an hour at the Max! Maybe try baking the card if all else fails? Good luck bud .

5. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    NO... I tested the card using various benchmarks for a total of 12hrs. useage... not CONTSTANT...powered up in the test PC...

Furmark I only used for about 2-3minutes... Using the EVGA software one for GPU and other for Memory for artifact testing... I would never be dumb enough to run Furmark for 12hrs... lol...

Basically I tested, stressed and played a few games in the test system for that 12hrs. time... then it had been off, and pulled the card and used others in the test rig... just had put the Palit back in to use again for a few and... then just died... and will not load in the next state with drivers installed in windows... IDK have the board tore down at the moment... maybe the VRMS are fried or something... since I had no artifacts ever...

6. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil

Hmm probably just your bad luck with that card... Generally in most hardware it either works or fails quickly unless another factor comes into play... I've owned many new and used graphics cards for many systems now and really never had a problem with any of them... even the cheaper manufacturers... Palit and Gainward I believe are similar/same and Gainward made some of the best... just isn't in the North American market.

7. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    No I only Furmark it 2 cycles 1 for GPU 1 for Memory for 2-3 minutes for artifacts...