1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 760 Boost Clock Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Extraordinary, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Ok so this is my first NVidia card since forever so its a new learning curve coming from AMD

Im OCing my 760 and see it has a boost clock along with normal clocks

When I use MSI AB to OC, I set it until GPUz shows the boost clock at 1185, but when I run a game or render test, the GPU clock jumps up to 1245 instead

What's that all about? Do I need to be running the render test to get full 3D clocks to accurately set the OC ?

Im used to Idle/2D and Load/3D

What's this boost thing all about? 3D clocks ARE the boost arent they ?

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    use the onscreen display for gpu and mem clocks. heaven or valley will get your full boost clocks up

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is normal the boost clock you see in GPUz is the lowest boost clock you will get the card will automatically clock itself higher if TDP and temp allows. Welcome to the dark side don't worry contrary to popular belief we are nice over here.

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Hmm, so there is no way to lock it to a set 3D clock ?

How do you stabilize an OC if the card won't listen to your OC clocks ?

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    negative and positive offsets for both the core and vram

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Using MSI AB? How would I even do that? With multiple profiles ?

Seems like a right p1ss on for something that should be very simple, and would be very simple if they hadn't added a pointless boost

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just use 1 profile it boosts to 1280 and the ram is set for 7200 (3600)

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Ah right, yea I can set it to boost it to whatever I want, but it ignores my boost clocks and maxes them to whatever it thinks is possible

Which might be perfectly safe for TDP and etc, but its not stable and crashes the games

I set 1150 boost, it decides f**k that, Im pushing to 1250

There is no way to cap the max boost clocks that I can see

With my 7870, I set 1200/1250 on the core/mem and set my vcore and that's where everything stayed in 3D clocks

This card ignores the core I set and boosts it to whatever it likes despite my clock settings / profiles

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes yes but your not using a static boost like AMD. Here is what you do open AB and run heaven at 1600x900 windowed and watch your clocks in AB overclock up to where you want and check for stability. Once you do that don't look at what GPUz reports it does not matter. The boost you get in heaven is your normal boost +/- 13Mhz.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As I already stated the boost clock in GPUz is the lowest the boost clock will go it WILL clock higher in most cases. If you want to play around with a static clock see if a guy by the name of Skyn3t on overclock.net has made a custom 760 vBIOS.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Right, so I do need to have the card running at max 3D clocks before I start Ocing it in order to know what the max boost is going to be while gaming

+/-13Mhz is quite a bit apparently with this card, my initial thoughts of it being a good OCer were a bit short lived, it passed 3DMark11 and quite a while playing a game, but then fired up other games and crashed fairly quickly

Is there any way to unlock the voltage control to allow more than a feeble 12mV ? Not going to stabilize much with 12mV

Yea I looked for those BIOSs but the links are removed

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    try nvidia inspector it will tell you your max boost under est max

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Looks like I am almost at my Max, it shows 1173, Im at 1150

Ah well, cheers for the tips everyone, I`ll have a play around

Always frustrating having to relearn something that didn't need to be complicated to start with, hopefully those BIOSs will appear again and I can remove this daft boost feature

Kinda the first thing most OCers do with their CPUs is to disable the Turbo clock and manually set everything

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    On voltage control there may be a way but you need to know what voltage controler your card uses.

With Skyn3t he seems to be pretty cool you may want to shot him a PM and ask nicely if he has a BIOS for your card or can mod one for you.

FWIW vantage is supposedly the best stress test you can get so if your card passes vantage you should be golden.

Some people like Boost some don't I tend to like it as it is dynamic and will auto down clock voltage and core clock to keep a temp target.

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Nice one cheers, I`ll shoot him a PM, apparently the one I need "was" linked on his thread, but has since been removed in wait of updated versions

I think I have Vantage kicking around somewhere :)

I think Im one of those that don't like it, I`ll give it a try though, might like it better once Im used to it

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    run heaven overnight looping it is very sensitive to bad oc, valleys another good stress tester

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Cheers will do

What's with the tiny vcore increase ability ? Are NVidia cards a lot more sensitive to over volting than AMD ? Easier to kill them or something?

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    WTF, now Im hit with thermal throttling of the GPU core ?

Hit 78c and card has throttled down to 535.6MHz on the core and refuses to budge, even after running the fan @100% and making sure the GPU was around 30c

Not enjoying my first NVidia experience one little bit

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That is odd. What clocks were you running when this happened and hoe fast did your temps rise? I've heard ASUS cards having poor contact of the cooler to GPU on some cards (AMD and nvidia) you may be one of the unlucky ones.

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I was running 1150/6000 @ +10mV

Not sure how fast the temps rose, I was playing for about 30 mins before it happened but I wasn't checking temps, I just suddenly was met with a slideshow game and noticed AB OSD saying 536MHz

The strange thing was, even when the temps were back to normal it wouldn't clock back up past the 536Mhz

Logged off and back on, same problem, ended up rebooting the whole machine and it was fine again

I since dropped the vcore to +5mV and made a user defined fan profile in AB and temps stayed around 58c

Is a reboot the only way to reset the throttling ?

I thought these cards were good upto about 90c~ ? 78c seems a bit low to throttle

If it does it again I`ll have a look at the cooler contact with the GPU, do they just need tightening up to fix or is it a permanent issue ?